• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw far or putt good

PUTT PUTT PUTT PUTT PUTT not even a choice. Where do you need to throw over 350.. plus...

Unless your definition of throw far is 200', if it is anywhere between 300-400' PUTT is the only answer.

I'd rather putt well. That drive for a deuce opportunity on a 500'+ hole means nothing if I hit the cage on a 20' putt.

THrowing far can be a negative...if you can throw 500 its a lot easier to over throw that 350' hole...if you can only throw 375 not so much. Putting better is never a negative.

I guess it could cause you to run putts you wouldnt normally and take a few additional strokes in overthrowing but then again you would make more of those than you typically would.

I like everyones answer of putting but if you read these forums all you hear about is throwing far. Most of the time I see people practice they are in a field trying to crush it. I think there is more people that try and crush a drive than people who went out and bought a practice basket to put to good use.

Btw, I can't drive or putt so either skill would be useful to me.

Last edited:
I'll go against the grain and take the distance. I believe I can achieve 90% in the circle without it being magically granted to me, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to 500'.

Kind of a double edged sword...throw far and ACCURATELY so you land well inside the circle, or, throw short and w/o accuracy so you depend on the good putting skills.

As for me, it would definitely be PUTTING.
As far as training, I have an open field for driving and 2 practice baskets. The advantages of having both have improved my game, but not to the "pro" level...:wall:

I'll go against the grain and take the distance. I believe I can achieve 90% in the circle without it being magically granted to me, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to 500'.

I see your point but I also don't play many courses where I would even need a 500' shot. But yes it would be fun to be able to do it

Putt. 500'+ yields no help on <350' holes.
Actually, it yields a lot of help on 350' holes. If a 350' hole is a putter or midrange shot you're more likely to be in the circle than if you need a super fast disc to only maybe get there. Putting well only matters if you can get into the circle in a minimum number of shots. If it takes you a drive and an approach to get in the circle for a 350' shot, how is that better than it taking a drive and two putts? What if it's a 600' hole? The driver needs a drive, approach and putt and the putter might need 2 drives an approach and a putt. After two holes the driver is one stroke ahead.

Driving farther does make your shorter drives better. You not only get to use more forgiving and easier to control discs, you have way more options. If you can only get to 350' with two discs in your bag you're at a disadvantage to someone who can get to 350' with all of the discs in their bag.

The thing that many "work on putting not driving" people seem to leave out is that it's much easier to get good at sinking 90% of your 20' putts than it is to learn to throw 450'. Or to put it another way, it's much easier for someone throwing 450' to learn to hit 90% of their 20' putts than it is for someone who sinks 90% of their 20' putts to learn to throw 450'.

Of course the best answer is that you should be good at putting from within the circle and be able to throw far. Which one you should be working on to improve your scores will depend on your current game. The way the question is worded there's no way to know who would be better off.

If you could only throw 10' but could putt you could finish a round. If you could throw 900' but could never make a putt you would be stuck on hole 1 all day.

Latest posts