• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw my current power or work to improve

PeterMonk

Birdie Member
Re-Newbie question.
Recently got back into disc golf after a 10 year absence. My drives are 275' to 300'. Considering the Inbounds.com charts should I:
  1. Throw 5 and 6 speeds since those are the discs I have the power throw more or less correctly?
  2. Keep at it with the Sidewinder and Volt until I can throw those correctly?
  3. Or is this one of those both/and question?
Just get frustrated seeing the Volt "rocket fade left" at 275' and not getting the Sidewinder to turn (though I get the most distance out of it, be it straight).

BTW, if this has been answered already, just tell me.

I would recommend option #1.
Your muscles need to be re-trained for muscle memory after your absence.
Throwing higher speed drivers could result in bad form at this stage.
Good luck and get in all the field practice you can!

Throw your speed and work your way up.

^what they said. Started out throwing 11+'s because they were "distance" drivers. Dialed it back to 4-6's and am throwing much farther and have shaved about 12 strokes per round off my game.

A lot variables to necessarily give you one right answer, and it all basically comes down to your commitment to getting better and the time you have to practice and play.

If time is not a factor and you can get out a lot, there is no reason you should not be throwing a wide array of discs in stability and speed. This will teach you what your body is and is not currently capable of as well as seeing a variety of types of flight. Almost all discs have the potential to travel just as far as any other disc no matter if we are talking putters or high speed distance drivers. It all comes down to circumstances of the conditions and courses. You are only going to find this out by throwing everything.

You can read about it all the time, but until you experience it, how would you know that a putter on a downhill shot will garner you the most net distance? How would you know that a super high speed driver will flare harder and higher in the air off an intended ground bounce than a putter or mid? There are just so many different ways to get a disc to the basket that it seems assinine to limit your practice to only one kind of shot because you only have one kind of disc available if you have all the time in the world to practice.

Yes, people are mocked all the time for throwing a Boss on a 200 foot hole, but at the end of the day if it works for you and your score is lowered because of it, where in the rules does it say you HAVE to throw a putter or mid in that distance range? Getting a birdie with a Boss is just the same on the scorecard as getting a birdie with an Ion. Now, if you are the kind of person who is throwing a Boss and is lowering your score from a 7 to a 5, then we will talk about disc selection.

However, if time is an issue, then it is better to lock in one disc and throw that almost exclusively. By being forced to throw a singular disc on varying lines and circumstances, you will truly know what it is capable of. This will create a higher level of trust of what lines you can accomplish, what release points work best for those shots, power to snap ratio you will need, and what wrist angle you will need to use. If time is limited, it is better to throw 1 disc a million times than a million discs one time.

Sorry about the mixed signals, but again it all comes down to the amount of time you can dedicate to practicing.

Thanks for input guys. I'll focus on throwing my power for now. I will keep the other discs for later

I'd say option 3. You may have nose angle problems and in that case throwing 5/6 speed won't help you much if you're mostly throwing midranges. Keep the Volt and SW for later but step down to the Teebird, Eagle, Leopard, FD, JLS, Cyclone realm of slower drivers for now.

I'd say option 3. You may have nose angle problems and in that case throwing 5/6 speed won't help you much if you're mostly throwing midranges. Keep the Volt and SW for later but step down to the Teebird, Eagle, Leopard, FD, JLS, Cyclone realm of slower drivers for now.

^This, but also continue doing field work with mids and putters as well. The mids and putters are a little easier to see OAT and strong arming, the slow drivers BroD mentions will be really helpful for working on nose angle.

Thanks for the continued advise. Not all is dark. I did get my first ace on Friday (MVP Axis @ 246') and hit the chains today (Eagle @ 224' uphill). I am carrying a couple Leos (champ and pro) and a 150 Eagle (does what a SW should). I'll put the 169 TB back in the bag until I either purchase a Gazelle or a lighter TB (hoping 156g will still be moderately OS) later this week.
My form problems involve early/later release - heel rotation - and nose angle when I am not thinking. Considering working back (again) from the "hit" to the X-step to work out my kinks.

I say keep the Volt or SW in the bag for headwind duty. Other then that if you want to improve keep throwing the slower discs mostly, film yourself and do field work. Good Luck!

Newb distance disc matching.......275-300

I am in the same power/distance bracket on controlled drives. I can throw up to 350 unpredictably , but that isnt much good for the course/score.... I have the same issues with my sidewinder, it just doesnt turn for me. What i have found to be key , is to throw around 160 grams @ this power range. Then discs will start to behave according to the ratings. The first disc i was able to break 300 with was a 150 dx beast. Can be a little flippy, even for a noodle arm, and cant handle much wind. I have also found blizzard plastic works well for me. I have a 160 blizz wraith, that would be way too stable/fast for me other wise, gives me 300+ without the worry of turning it over ( might turn over a little into the wind). I also found that a millenium qjls , 162g, is good for around 300 and pretty forgiving. I also discovered the the little flyer maximizer 162g. This driver is a little larger in diameter and doesnt take much effort to make it do work. 300 ft of power , on level release, will prob turn it over. 300 ft of power on a hyzer flip will result in a super straight 350ft drive. This disc can be a little touchy/flippy but probably the easiest driver i have thrown. wicked beginner downwind driver. The only thing i dont like about it is the plastic seems like it will wear fast. no full throttle tree hits for this disc!

MikeC, here is the video. Just needed to wait for the PacNW rain to let up and have someone do the video. Thanks to my fellow SMUDGErs (St. Martin's U. Disc Golf Experience (the U's disc golf club)) for taking the video and us enjoying to afternoon throwing discs.:hfive:
http://youtu.be/HRkCvE2vZxA
Yep, I was told right after not to curl the disc and reach straight back. Next throw went straighter, further, and landed 10' from the pin.

BTW - How do I embed a video?

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Banknwank. The Sidewinder is a 170g Champ. and I am starting to hone in on what weights work for me for the type of disc. I now understand that my 170+ drivers will not work and that the 150 class discs are too flippy. The Sidewinder type duties are now being done by my 165g Pro Leopard. Gave the 150 Eagle to a even newer guy. Shooting for 160g (+/- 5) for my 8-10 distance driver weight may be best for now.
Now what to do with that 172g Neutron Volt?

Discing down is aways great.. I often will throw a round with just mids to work on technique. Another thing I have been doing is recording myself throwing... I set up my phone and drive a few dozen times. It really helps me to see what I'm doing wrong and where I can improve. Also practice driving. Most people just play rounds and never take the time to practice. When I throw in practice I'm simulation 4 rounds worth of drives. And finally just keep working on it!!!

Actually Pete (heard that in the video), you'll get more comments & advice if you post the video in the Form Analysis & Critique section.

One comment you're likely to hear is that your weight shift is out of control, throwing your body off the front of the tee pad. It will help you transfer more power to the disc by rotating on your heel and letting your arm act like a whip to propel the disc (and maintain your balance). Sidewinder22 has a treasure trove of videos to help you see this action.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone. I will be discing down for while and working on form. Teemkey, your comment on me being "out of control" was a needed one, thanks. I thought I was "pulling and shifting weight" but I need to work on "rotate and whip". Winter work ahead. Maybe I'll post a video in a couple weeks on analysis & critique.

Latest posts