• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Midrange Discs

LBlackburn

Hi.

I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some questions I have about throwing my midrange discs.

When throwing a midrange disc for a short drive or approach shot, should I use the same 4-finger power grip I use for drives? Should I put an index finger on the rim (is this ever appropriate)? Fan out my fingers underneath?

Are the throwing mechanics for short drives and approach shots the same as for drives? When I drive off the tee I turn my head backwards and look at my disc during reach-back. Should my head turn back for shorter shots too? Should I keep my eyes focused on the target the whole time? It feels awkward not to look back and when I look forward the whole time, it feels like I don't know what my throwing arm is doing and I end up releasing early often and hit a tree on the left. If I try to correct, I hit the first tree on the right.

I'm having trouble aiming 100-200 foot shots throw tight holes. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

In your own experiences, you can/will determine rather quickly that extending the index finger on the outside of the disc reduces your control of it.

My mid and approach game is the only thing I am decent at. I use a 4 finger power grip. IF you are having trouble it is more likely lack of practice than grip. Go out and take your mid and throw 100 shots from 100 to 150 feet every once in a while. It could be a little disc selection also. Keep working at it, it will come.

Depends how far I want to throw them. Under about 200 with a putter I throw fan grip. Under about 250 with a mid I throw fan grip. Otherwise I blow by. I use it to reduce distance while still having good accuracy.

If I'm driving for distance (300'+ with mids), I use the same grip as drivers. If it's <200', I use the "flip the birdie" grip, a modified stack grip. Google images of it and you'll see what I mean.

Grips aren't as important as the amount of reach back. That's how you control power output.

Being able to drive with your putters and mids the same way you do with your drivers is important. If you choose to use a different grip to shorten up you can. Though I agree with racer93 that shortening reach back or throwing from a standstill is a really good way to do that as well.

In your own experiences, you can/will determine rather quickly that extending the index finger on the outside of the disc reduces your control of it.
not to be confrontational, but i disagree with this statement. for me, it reduces distance, but definitely not control

I'm a big believer in looking solely at the target on approach shots. I'd defined approach shots here as something you can reach without having to look away :) If the shot is far enough that you really need to twist your torso to get the reach back, then it clearly isn't an approach.

I have focused heavily on concentrating on looking at where I want the disc go for these approach shots (< 200ft). I envision the flight I want the disc to take, reach back keeping my eye on that flight path, and then pull through. Seems to work great. My approach game got much better with this "approach."

At least that's what I think I'm doing. It all happens so fast that it's hard to say for sure.

My mid and approach game is the only thing I am decent at. I use a 4 finger power grip. IF you are having trouble it is more likely lack of practice than grip. Go out and take your mid and throw 100 shots from 100 to 150 feet every once in a while. It could be a little disc selection also. Keep working at it, it will come.

I have tried the fan grip and have had very little success. I stick with the Keep It Simple Stupid theory and use the 4 finger grip because it suits me.

I have a empty field next to my house the is a 230' square that I keep mowed. It has telephone poles in 2 corners and those are my targets along with my Instep Practice basket. It is helping me a lot especially with straight throws.

So take Prerubes advice and you should be okay.

The only other thing that occurred to me as I thought about this is that for less than 200' I really shorten up my steps and at less that 100' I stand still. Both of these have helped my control.

I am not a natural at this game so technique is paramount for me to succeed so keep up the questions here. Theses guys are great!

Practice Practice Practice and you will come out ahead.

Last edited:
quick thoughts... (you've been throwing for 15.1 years, so dont take any of this as disrespectful... i'm just wondering out loud throwing out things that might be applicable... i'm writing this to help you and the 100 other guys who will read this.)

Over-thinking......Can we say OCD on the DG Course!

1) Range (100-200)
For me, this isnt quite a Midrange concept. It extends the length of an approach range and is the bottom of the "fairway/midrange". Conceptually this could be semantics... but depending on the disc selection it could be the culprit. (see #2)

2) Discs
I have the same "mental dilemma" when i over-analyze (think too much) before i throw. This is usually when i am trying to get a disc to do something that is outside its normal usage. (For me throwing a Tbird under 200' is "outside" my normal range, and would cause me to question my throwing in attempts to adjust. see #3)
For me 100-200' (in order of ascending distance)
Rhyno (75-150')
Putter (100-175')
Roc (125'-225')
Gator (125'-225) - Only if its windy, or there is a specialty need for this disc.
Flick Sidearm (super light 164 Orc) - (Up to 250')
TL (175-250') Only if i need to "thread the needle" and for whatever reason i dont think my roc is the disc.
* Note, these distances are my "automatic" range and not my max distance range. This is where i am absolutely comfortable taking the shot.

3) Thinking too much as you are selecting incorrect discs for the shot. My game is 100% consistency based. I know exactly how far and how to use my discs. As a result, when i step up to a shot, (most of the time) i pick up a disc and the throw is "automatic"; this means, i "just throw" and i dont over think.

4) Snap
The better i get the more i realize that this is one of the most important and underrated elements of the game. I mention this as you may be overcompensating your throw to absorb a "snap" (and throwing) issue.
If you have enough snap and throwing ability to push a putter 200' then this entire discussion is eliminated; you would be throwing with a power grip and not "over thinking" how to throw. You'd also consider this range to be a disc that is speed 5 or less (usually).

Disc down and see if throwing without thinking removes the issue.

Last edited:
Being able to drive with your putters and mids the same way you do with your drivers is important. If you choose to use a different grip to shorten up you can. Though I agree with racer93 that shortening reach back or throwing from a standstill is a really good way to do that as well.

I do that as well. I'll do an example.

There's a hole on my local 9 that is ~197 feet long (Hole 5 chautauqua park fairfield iowa). It's across a ravine and then back up the hill, then as another ravine starts that is where the basket is. The basket is level with the pad so it's just a 200' that if you go long, you are in trouble, and if you go short, you hit the hill before it drops and end up with a long hazardous putt. I pretty much do a standstill forehand anymore with a putter, right at it. Try and land it at about 180' and skip up a little. If I backhand, I can stand-still and hold the disc at my left pec and make it past the basket because of the dropoff. Slowing down the throw and armspeed makes it go overstable quicker and fade, which is what I don't want. So I reduce the arm length, use a fan grip, and pop the edge up a little for a slow anhyzer to straight finish. If I reduce the armspeed on it anymore I'm falling short and end up with a 30' downhill putt because it hits the top of the hill.

Should I put an index finger on the rim (is this ever appropriate)

I wouldn't get in that habit. Although I found doing it more comfortable when throwing thin rimmed discs, (As most mids are. Element, Skeeter, Impact.) it required me to compensate in my release timing and snap. IOW when I tried it, I never got it quite right and then had to work back to a more normal grip.

I like to keep my eye on the basket or even , if its blind stare at the tree or woodline the basket is behind and visualize where it is......I also take note of the clearest, not the cutest, lane to the basket....always trying to find the tree behind the tree.. I then throw my mid-range/approach shot trying to hit the line I want.....I have found that drives are almost completely different types of shots than mids/approaches and to not try to mix the skill sets. Thats what garners me the best results. I prefer standstill and only partial hip turns and try to keep my eye on the prize.....if the shot requires reach back then I go with my drive routine...which is quite different.

Last edited:
I do that as well. I'll do an example.

There's a hole on my local 9 that is ~197 feet long (Hole 5 chautauqua park fairfield iowa). It's across a ravine and then back up the hill, then as another ravine starts that is where the basket is. The basket is level with the pad so it's just a 200' that if you go long, you are in trouble, and if you go short, you hit the hill before it drops and end up with a long hazardous putt. I pretty much do a standstill forehand anymore with a putter, right at it. Try and land it at about 180' and skip up a little. If I backhand, I can stand-still and hold the disc at my left pec and make it past the basket because of the dropoff. Slowing down the throw and armspeed makes it go overstable quicker and fade, which is what I don't want. So I reduce the arm length, use a fan grip, and pop the edge up a little for a slow anhyzer to straight finish. If I reduce the armspeed on it anymore I'm falling short and end up with a 30' downhill putt because it hits the top of the hill.
Yeah, it gets to where you have to do several things to power down enough and still have control. You can only power down so much before your form starts falling apart. Under 200' I change grips and shorten my reachback (really I throw like I would for playing catch).

Hey, thanks everyone.

I'm getting a little conflicting information, but I guess I'll try keeping my eye on the target and a combination of stand still and/or shorter reach back. i guess I shouldn't be taking an x-step or turning my torso and head back if it's short enough for me to reach without doing that.

As for the grip, I guess I should try a fan grip like Feldberg mentioned in the video and others mentioned, but some of you mentioned still using the power grip. Looks like I shouldn't put a finger on the rim, though. But I do put my index finger on the outside rim when putting. Isn't that normal?

Throwing off-line and hitting trees is definitely a practice issue. I've been practicing lots of drives and lots of putts for the past year, but hardly any midrange or tight shots through trees (I'm out in the field a lot more than on a course).

I have been playing for about 15 years, but I haven't started looking at instructional stuff on the internet until last summer. I just started getting serious about my game. For example, for 14 of those 15 years, I didn't realize I should be pointing my torso at the basket while putting! I always stood sideways and treated a putt like a short throw. I was terrible. Now I face the basket and use either a straddle putt or more often I put one foot forward, one back, and pitch it in. I went from probably 10% from 30 feet to 60% from 30 feet in one year of practice. Now I better work more on my midrange game and control. I always drive in the field because throwing it farther is an obsession. Last year, my longest drives were going 250 feet. Now my drives are averaging 280 feet with some in the 300-320 foot range (longest ever 345). Although reading here has shown me that my driving form must be terrible. I think I'll post a video.

Great forum! Thanks again for the knowledgable responses.

Oh yeah, for midranges I've been throwing mostly a Roc, but also a Shark, Mako, Glide, and Aviar.

Throwing off-line and hitting trees is definitely a practice issue. I've been practicing lots of drives and lots of putts for the past year, but hardly any midrange or tight shots through trees (I'm out in the field a lot more than on a course).
Midrange and putter drives are the same as most driver drives, it's just a different disc.

As for throwing off line, try making visual contact as soon as you can with your target (you'll still have to turn away to get a full reach back) and keep that visual contact for the remainder of the throw. You can even go as far as pushing your face in the direction of the throw. It will help you keep on line a lot better and will help you focus your power better. It's something I've been working on recently and while it can be difficult to do at first, it's totally worth it.

Latest posts