• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Midrange Discs

The most important thing to do on approach shots is to relax. Tension causes most of the problems on "touch" shots. Get comfortable in grip and stance, stare down the target and let your natural ability put it by the hole. Over thinking (after deciding on the flight path) and tensing up will just cause problems.

Midrange and putter drives are the same as most driver drives, it's just a different disc.

Ok, I get it. Thanks.

By the way, I've never thrown a putter off the tee before. My local course is 9 holes all from 175-250 feet. I throw a Roc on a few holes and a Tee-bird on a few. On a couple of holes I throw an Orc or a Beast (don't laugh--on a big hyzer route on a 240 foot hole I feel like I'm throwing my Orc almost full power). In an open field with no pressure and lots of warm-up my max distance is around 325 with most shots under 300. Anyway, do you think I could learn better form by playing my local course entirely with a putter?

The most important thing to do on approach shots is to relax. Tension causes most of the problems on "touch" shots. Get comfortable in grip and stance, stare down the target and let your natural ability put it by the hole. Over thinking (after deciding on the flight path) and tensing up will just cause problems.

Great advice! I've been having trouble with this 200 foot hole through a ten-foot wide corridor lately, but since my first post in this thread I birdied it twice in a row. I just walked up to the tee and said "This is ridiculous. This isn't a hard hole." I relaxed, and took a very gentle throw with a Roc and put it pin high about 15 feet left of the basket both times.

4) Snap
The better i get the more i realize that this is one of the most important and underrated elements of the game. I mention this as you may be overcompensating your throw to absorb a "snap" (and throwing) issue.
If you have enough snap and throwing ability to push a putter 200' then this entire discussion is eliminated; you would be throwing with a power grip and not "over thinking" how to throw. You'd also consider this range to be a disc that is speed 5 or less (usually).

Disc down and see if throwing without thinking removes the issue.

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, I was thinking of starting another thread on snap since I'm not really sure if I have any at all! I watched the Citysmasher videos on snap and I'm looking around these forums, and I fear that I drive with absolutely no snap. I certainly don't feel or hear anything I would describe as snap. But before I ask too many questions, I'm going to get a video of myself driving.

Anyway, do you think I could learn better form by playing my local course entirely with a putter?
Absolutely. Getting your putters and mids to fly right when thrown with a full drive is a really important thing to learn.

I fear that I drive with absolutely no snap. I certainly don't feel or hear anything I would describe as snap.
At your distance I'd defintely qualify you as a low snap player.

Don't get too cought up in throwing "with snap." Snap is what you'll get if you do everything right, it's not a single, specific, intentional movement. In other words, you can snap your wrist, but that won't give you "snap" unless you do it at the right time in the right position. Going through the exercise of building your throw from the hit back as described in the Dan Beto video will help you develop the timing and mechnics required to get "snap."

I wouldn't get in that habit. Although I found doing it more comfortable when throwing thin rimmed discs, (As most mids are. Element, Skeeter, Impact.) it required me to compensate in my release timing and snap. IOW when I tried it, I never got it quite right and then had to work back to a more normal grip.

Could you please expound on this (the index finger on the rim) issue? I do this and can consistently get 380', and fairly accurate.
I've noticed that you have played for quite some time and would honestly like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.