• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing under 350'?

I think of it this way: would your rather be able to throw 50 ft further with control or sink every putt in the circle?

Granted, the distance would put you that much closer to the basket, but how many birdie opportunities would it create? It would shorten approaches on longer holes, as well increasing the odds of a better score. But I look at all the putts I've missed and know that I could drop 5-6 strokes if I was perfect inside the circle.

If lots of people made all their 30 foot putts they'd just move the circle out. :)

You're right though, you drive for show and putt for dough.

when a buddy of mine was just starting, his mentor just gave him a wizard and said throw only this until you can throw it 300', once he could do that, then he gave him a mid and so on. I think this is a good way to learn b/c it teaches you to throw hard but accurately. Now the kid can just destroy drives accurately and over 500' (with less accuracy) on a good throw. But really if you can smash a putter 300' you'll find yourself using that more often than anything else on.

What if you never get the putter there? While I understand the reason behind learning to drive a putter, I think that's something for the practice field (and on the course when the distance is right.) Even if I can only throw a putter 150, a mid 180, and a driver 225, there's still a reason to throw a driver.

The problem I see a lot is someone that throws putters 180, mids 200, and drivers 180 inaccurately! Now that's a good reason to just throw the putter.

If I was lucky enough to have a dg mentor I would of painted his fence and waxed his car if he/she said to.
Why wouldn't you be able to get the putter there? I could understand if one didn't have the Internet but other then that it's a matter of understanding the info and dedication. Its not like you have to be able to run fast or jump high. I've seen old men, girls, and heavy guys all throw farther then me. Even though I don't throw big I know it's just a matter of time:)

Don't bash on the spend to improve phase. If I'd never bought overstable discs I never would have seen the merits of the flick, the tommie, the thumber, the skip, the flext shot etc. Without buying more putters I never would have realized that some fly better in the wind than others, and that there's a reason people prefer aviars to sonics. Without buying more mids I'd have missed out on the joy of having a really straight disc, like a broken in roc or a buzz, not to mention being able to shape a discs flight. If you don't update your technology you'll be stuck wondering why you can't get your stingray as far as I can throw a katana.

I have a whole bin full of discs. My bag is full but every few rounds I swap one or two out with the bin. I use the extras as loaners to get friends into the sport and I give lots of discs away to newbies and to family. Every now and then, I go back and realize the merits of a disc I had previously ditched, usually because I wasn't ready for it. I have more than a handful of discs that I bought thinking they'd be just what I needed, and they weren't. That's okay, in the bin they go. Part of the fun of this sport is I can buy every disc my heart desires and it's still cheaper than all the other sports I play. I've got $800 of ice hockey gear and it still costs me $20 every time I go play. I've got $1000 of ski gear and warm clothing and it still costs me $60 every time I go. $60 bucks of plastic keeps me happy for months and it doesn't cost me anything but gas to go to the course. Sure, you should really get to know your discs, but don't be afraid to try something new. Besides, it's fun to throw new plastic and see what it does.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I played for the first few months with a putter, mid, and valk. I could get the valk to go either way by throwing BH and FH, and the mid was perfect for my shorter shots. I didn't think I would ever buy another disc, but when I finally broke down and bought a distance driver and an overstable fairway driver, I realized how they would help.

Also, it is so much cheaper to buy discs that last than to play other sports. I play ball golf, and the clubs/shoes/and other equipment is expensive and I have to pay anywhere from $20-60 to play each time.

I would definatly encourage someone to buy a new disc, but the only problem that I have seen is that if someone throws a driver the same distance or even shorter than a mid, and they continue to do it without trying to figure out what is wrong, then they need to stick to the slower discs.