• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Thunderbird vs. Vulture vs. Anax

How do the Fortress and Invictus fit?

I've been considering an OS ~10 speed to add to the Felon/Undertaker combo. Was initially thinking PD or Fortress. The flight 'numbers' of those are what I'd like to consider (no turn, decent fade, good for hyzers).

How do the Fortress and Invictus fit?

I've been considering an OS ~10 speed to add to the Felon/Undertaker combo. Was initially thinking PD or Fortress. The flight 'numbers' of those are what I'd like to consider (no turn, decent fade, good for hyzers).

I haven't seen or thrown either of those molds. I'll do a write up if I ever throw them though.

I haven't seen or thrown either of those molds. I'll do a write up if I ever throw them though.
You still haven't thrown a PD? You aren't still swamping all your discs are you?

Its hard to recommend a PD of the shelf right now cause they fit between a firebird/sexton bird now but they are right up your alley.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

You still haven't thrown a PD? You aren't still swamping all your discs are you?

Its hard to recommend a PD of the shelf right now cause they fit between a firebird/sexton bird now but they are right up your alley.

I'm guessing he was referring to the 2 discs that were mentioned in the post. Invictus and fortress

I'm guessing he was referring to the 2 discs that were mentioned in the post. Invictus and fortress
I see that now. He went from inviticus and fortress to pd in fortress in the same post. Some days I am easily confused

Fortress and Invictus are what I haven't thrown.

PDs I've only thrown 1 of. I liked it. Somewhat like an Orc.

If you threw a PD that was somewhat like an Orc, it must've been a Freak.

Fresh PDs these days are essentially Sexton Firebirds with cocaine problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How does that raptor add in to all of this?

Been looking for a replacement from my Criminal. Mine is pretty beat and flies 10, 4, 0, 2.5.

I tried the proto anax for a while and liked the flight a lot but didn't love the hand feel, the criminal is slightly slimmer and has a faster feel to me. Looking at options wondering if any raptors are close or those or more FB like.

How does that raptor add in to all of this?

Been looking for a replacement from my Criminal. Mine is pretty beat and flies 10, 4, 0, 2.5.

I tried the proto anax for a while and liked the flight a lot but didn't love the hand feel, the criminal is slightly slimmer and has a faster feel to me. Looking at options wondering if any raptors are close or those or more FB like.

I've never thrown a Raptor, but the numbers you have up there would fit a Starfire pretty well. A fresh champion Starfire won't turn, but will still be decently long.

A fresh champion Starfire won't turn, but will still be decently long.

Huh, I totally forgot that was a disc.. I had a Pro Starfire in 2014 and I picked up a Valerie signature one when those dropped but I never threw it, ended up giving it away. May have to take a look at those and see how they feel.

Huh, I totally forgot that was a disc.. I had a Pro Starfire in 2014 and I picked up a Valerie signature one when those dropped but I never threw it, ended up giving it away. May have to take a look at those and see how they feel.

Pro Starfires are the L mold. They're flippy junk. They're like a Beast L. Champion Starfires are the X mold. Pretty overstable. IDK if you've ever thrown an Orc, but just imagine a somewhat beefier Orc. No high speed turn with a Starfire.

Okay so I didn't take the advice of the Starfire because I found a beautiful bottom stamp swirly S-PD...
Got to take it out today at a more remote course that doesn't have very much foot traffic, that also has lots of 330-370ft shots in windy conditions. This is a course that is normally a workhorse for my Criminal and got to test out the PD to see what it had.

This disc is exactly what I have been looking around for. More predictable than the Anax, and more importantly to me, the hand feel was very similar to the criminal. The flight was very close to the criminal, I would say it felt slightly faster and a little more turn resistant due to the wear on my main criminal.

All in all, great disc. Can't believe I waited this long to try one out!

Anax

A couple more quick observations about the Anax from today. Today was the first time I'd thrown it since I made this thread about a month ago.

The Anax does really well in cross or tail winds. Today I was throwing it with a pretty hard wind coming from 4 o' clock to 10 (R-L tailwind). The Anax flew like the wind wasn't even blowing. It kept straight and didn't get pushed around. Some of the other discs I threw today were getting forced down to the ground by the wind. Not the Anax.

This disc just seems to hit a wall on max distance. I was smashing on it a few times today, and it went the same distance every time. The Anax doesn't seem to be a mold you can crush for a few extra feet. No matter how hard I threw it the disc was going a steady 385'. Usually with faster drivers I can dig deep for some extra yardage. Not this one.

Anax is a strange disc. I can't even really think of anything it compares to. It has a little bit of an awkward flight, right between fairway and distance driver. The Anax is pretty long, and has a slow flight. It does well in tailwinds, but gets beat up badly by headwinds.

I don't like the hand feel of this disc much. That sharp bottom edge of the rim gets annoying after a while. For how the Anax flies I'd probably just grab a Destroyer instead. The Anax is something I probably wouldn't bag.

A couple more quick observations about the Anax from today. Today was the first time I'd thrown it since I made this thread about a month ago.

The Anax does really well in cross or tail winds. Today I was throwing it with a pretty hard wind coming from 4 o' clock to 10 (R-L tailwind). The Anax flew like the wind wasn't even blowing. It kept straight and didn't get pushed around. Some of the other discs I threw today were getting forced down to the ground by the wind. Not the Anax.

This disc just seems to hit a wall on max distance. I was smashing on it a few times today, and it went the same distance every time. The Anax doesn't seem to be a mold you can crush for a few extra feet. No matter how hard I threw it the disc was going a steady 385'. Usually with faster drivers I can dig deep for some extra yardage. Not this one.

Anax is a strange disc. I can't even really think of anything it compares to. It has a little bit of an awkward flight, right between fairway and distance driver. The Anax is pretty long, and has a slow flight. It does well in tailwinds, but gets beat up badly by headwinds.

I don't like the hand feel of this disc much. That sharp bottom edge of the rim gets annoying after a while. For how the Anax flies I'd probably just grab a Destroyer instead. The Anax is something I probably wouldn't bag.

I take it you like the Vulture more than the Anax?

I take it you like the Vulture more than the Anax?

Yes. To me the Vulture and Anax aren't even really similar. The Vulture is a tad slower, beefier, and glides less than the Anax.

I won't say I hate the Anax, but it doesn't really fit any shots I throw on the course. Its in that awkward area between fairway and driver distance. The floaty glide also makes it a bit less consistent from an accuracy standpoint. The Anax is harder to put on pinpoint lines.

I've never thrown an Anax but I did try out a brand new ESP Vulture today. I really liked it so far. I only bag something similar every once in awhile. For now it's staying in the bag. It seemed pretty similar to my thunderbird that I lost a couple months ago.

I've never thrown an Anax but I did try out a brand new ESP Vulture today. I really liked it so far. I only bag something similar every once in awhile. For now it's staying in the bag. It seemed pretty similar to my thunderbird that I lost a couple months ago.

One reason I like the Vulture more is that it has a little bit of a smaller wing than the Thunderbird.

It does feel nice in the hand. I was expecting it to be uselessly overstable for me but it wasn't. It was a bit glidier than I expected too.

Latest posts