• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

My most OS thundies are embossed and slightly domey. My older flat penned runs are less OS.

That's interesting. I have not experienced that at all.
What is your sample size?
Do they have the two color stamp?
Anyone else have experience with new domey embossed thunderbirds being more overstable than the older flatties?

My most OS thundies are embossed and slightly domey. My older flat penned runs are less OS.
I think you are referring to Champion plastic runs here
Anyone else have experience with new domey embossed thunderbirds being more overstable than the older flatties?
and you are describing/asking about Star runs...

so embossed domey Champ more OS than penned flatter Champ
and
penned flatter Star more OS than embossed Star with average dome

Thunderbird aficionados, where can I find runs of Champion or Star Thunderbirds that are flat topped and high PLH, or how do I know which ones they are?

I have a Thundervant run like this, and I've since beaten it in. I wish I had some more.
I'd say posting on disc for sale FB pages for the Thundervant run of the same color & plastic? Don't see much love for that run/stamp so maybe you'll luck out.

That's interesting. I have not experienced that at all.
What is your sample size?
Do they have the two color stamp?

yeah not a fan at all, basically all the thunderbirds that came out after mcbeth left have added dome and run pretty OS.

Thunderbird aficionados, where can I find runs of Champion or Star Thunderbirds that are flat topped and high PLH, or how do I know which ones they are?

I think @CD is correct. I was responding to Twisted Ravens comment above that clearly is asking about Star Thunderbird stability, so I will reiterate-
The Star Thunderbirds that are penned/not embossed with the two color stamps are the overstable flat ones. I used to prefer them as my go-to forehand disc (before hurting my arm and fixing my backhand. Long story).
Anyway- I agree that in Champion plastic the older ones are less stable- I am bagging a CFR penned champ that is just barely more stable than a champion CD2 right now (2 years in the bag).

For me star vs champ doesn't matter. I'm just looking for the most OS Thunderbirds out there.

Understood. In that case it sounds like the New Embossed Champion Thunderbirds with a dOme are beefy and I know the old flat penned stars are stupid stable.

So… it really comes down to which plastic you like and if you want them flat or not. Maybe get one of each and tell us which are the most stable/best for you?
I would be interested to hear the results.

These 'stupid stable' flat topped penned Star ones would probably be the ones I'm most interested in. Problem is I don't know what magical words to use to search for them, or if there's some kind of collectors page I can go to to get some?

These 'stupid stable' flat topped penned Star ones would probably be the ones I'm most interested in. Problem is I don't know what magical words to use to search for them, or if there's some kind of collectors page I can go to to get some?

There's a Thunderbird collectors page on FB that mostly has either Big Jerm or Proto Thunderbirds, sometimes Madison Walker/CG Thunderbirds, but you could probably get some options or direction with an ISO post there.

If I were trying to get those beefy Stars, I would first search for penned Star Thunderbirds, then ask any sellers for pics of the profile. I do remember thinking the beefy Star that I had was basically a Firebird. It was a bluish-purple color with a black and silver stamp. Penned, not completely flat but definitely low profile. It flew completely differently compared to my 3x McBeth Champ Thunderbirds.

There's a Thunderbird collectors page on FB that mostly has either Big Jerm or Proto Thunderbirds, sometimes Madison Walker/CG Thunderbirds, but you could probably get some options or direction with an ISO post there.

If I were trying to get those beefy Stars, I would first search for penned Star Thunderbirds, then ask any sellers for pics of the profile. I do remember thinking the beefy Star that I had was basically a Firebird. It was a bluish-purple color with a black and silver stamp. Penned, not completely flat but definitely low profile. It flew completely differently compared to my 3x McBeth Champ Thunderbirds.

I had an F2 CG thundy that I imagine was from the Madison Walker run. Lost it at Hornings Hideout in Oregon. Heartbreaking.

I've got one and bought it at the USDGC when it was released. It's yellow with a USDGC stamp. I can confirm they are really stiff and fly like a Firebird

For me star vs champ doesn't matter. I'm just looking for the most OS Thunderbirds out there.

I've tried and own Thunderbirds in various plastics and vintage. Just get a Big Jerm '21. My older stock Star one that is penned is flat, stiff, and crazy overstable. But no more overstable than my '21 Jerm Bird.

I went on a journey to find something a little more reliable than the Star Thundies I had. First I tried and liked the Neutron Volts, but eventually gave up on them because they were just so glideless. Then I bought a flattish new C-Line PD on a whim, and it's excatly the flight I'm looking for. Too bad it's not quite as comfy in the hand as a Thunderbird.

I don't know what shenanigans to expect from a 178g domey GStar Thundy but I'm **** ready to find out I tell ya.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220-012807_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220-012807_Gmail.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 55
I don't know what shenanigans to expect from a 178g domey GStar Thundy but I'm **** ready to find out I tell ya.

I've got some older circa 2015 GStar Thunderbirds that are domey, they're actually pretty beefy when new. They beat into pretty glidey fliers keeping the HSS. True longer Teebirds, really.

Aye! I own a 172g which is probably a 4 on the OTB scale for dome and I love her. I'm moreso curious how a domier 178g hangs in the Nevada winds, even as it beats in. Could be a beast at that weight.