• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I don't see any need for McPro/KC Pro Thunderbirds when the DX version is so good. They also start out super beefy (almost like a Star Firebird), and it honestly doesn't beat in that quickly. They're great for cycling. It's the best feeling and some of the more durable DX I've thrown. If I were going back to a base plastic bag, DX Thunderbirds would be the first driver I'd put in.

I hear what you're saying, and I like my DX Thunderbird, also. Great disc, I've been using mine on a technical/wooded course with good results.

I was just thinking that as good as the DX Thunderbird is... maybe a McPro Thunderbird would be even better, at least for some of us. I really like the McPro plastic, it'll be a bit stiffer than the DX, and while I'm not asking for the DX Thunderbirds to be replaced, I'd just like to try the Thunderbird in McPro plastic. :) :popcorn:

I hear what you're saying, and I like my DX Thunderbird, also. Great disc, I've been using mine on a technical/wooded course with good results.

I was just thinking that as good as the DX Thunderbird is... maybe a McPro Thunderbird would be even better, at least for some of us. I really like the McPro plastic, it'll be a bit stiffer than the DX, and while I'm not asking for the DX Thunderbirds to be replaced, I'd just like to try the Thunderbird in McPro plastic. :) :popcorn:

Got my two DX Thunderbirds tonight and to my surprise, they both feel damn close to my McPro Roc3 in stiffness but much more grippy. Best I can explain is if McPro plastic and the grippy fingerprinty champ plastic were to mate, they'd have a plastic child that had the grip of the champ and the firm feel of the McPro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some time in yesterday with the the Pro Thunderbird and a fresh DX Thunderbird. The DX was surprisingly overstable for the first few throws. So I threw a few spike hyzers in the middle of the fairway with it. Now it flies dead nuts straight. I will say this, whatever mix of DX they used for these is like super glue when it lands. If you need a thunderbird that has zero skip at the end of its flight, grab a dx.

Now, the Pro TH. I was disappointed that they ran it in such a soft Pro plastic. Was really hoping for the firmer Pro plastic. That being said, I really like the flight of it. It flies like a lightly worn Champ Thunderbird. Very straight with just a little hook up at the end of it's flight. I could see people rotating a couple of Pro Thunderbirds to go with a couple of Champs. But I'm not sure how many people would want to carry 3-4 thunderbirds at a time...other than me of course.

But I'm not sure how many people would want to carry 3-4 thunderbirds at a time...other than me of course.

And me. I'm with ya. I always carry 3 and with the Pro out now looks like it will be 4 after I snag some. Who knows. Once the first Pro beats into a turnover disc it could be 5....

My DX was used yesterday twice for low hyzer skip shots. It definitely skips. Low skips, not as much as the champ, but it took some good 20' skips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would like to see a McPro Thunderbird? :popcorn:

Stop

Not needed and didn't they say mcpro is too brittle for drivers? The dx is pretty stiff. What's the need for a dinner plate?

You've got gstar, star, pro, dx, and champ. That's a lot of options.

I held a pro Thunderbird today. They feel nice but they don't feel much different than my Gstar I like throwing (and have a stack of). Those with my stack of DX works fine for me.

Got a chance to throw my Pro Thunderbird (171g pink) today. I love it right out of the box. It flies like a straighter, seasoned champ with more glide. I didn't really notice any flip, but it does straighten out for my arm. The weather is still a little cool here, so the plastic feels perfect right now. For me, it's exactly what I wanted in a Pro Thudnerbird. Right now it sits in between my new Champ and flippy seasoned Champ. It's also straighter than my relatively new swirly S-PD.

I played Dexter today and threw it with great success on a couple holes:
Hole 1: 477ft moderately downhill hole - today in a tailwind on a slight anhyzer and parked the hole on an all out rip
Hole 8: 360 feet on a tall hyzer - disc held straight and glided out of the hyper gently for a park job

I didn't hit any tress with it today, so I have no real idea how durable the plastic is or how quickly it will season with wear.

Threw it again today. I take back what I said about having no flip. There is definitely some turn early on, but nothing crazy. Right now, the Pro Thundy is to a Champ Thundy like the TL is to the Teebird.

These are controllable bombers though. Outdrove a 366 hole today that requires a low ceiling drive to hold an anny for the majority of its flight before finishing straight. My TL hadn't been getting there because of the ceiling, and the line requires too much finesse for a high speed driver. The Pro Thundy fit the bill perfectly... so perfectly that I bought a second one as a backup today :)

For reference, this is the only Pro disc in by bag. I typically throw Star or Champ (or other brand's equivalents). I really like this blend of Pro though

Any way of getting this in something a little more grippy than champ plastic. Not gstar-too soft with the warm weather.

And what would really be nice is some bottom stamped dx.

Any way of getting this in something a little more grippy than champ plastic. Not gstar-too soft with the warm weather.

And what would really be nice is some bottom stamped dx.

What do you mean? Thunderbirds are already available in DX, Star, GStar, and Pro. Fwiw, the DX's I've thrown were all flat (or even a little puddle-topped) and started out super overstable, so I don't think a bottom-stamped DX would be necessary (assuming the reason you want bottom stamped is because those are usually more overstable). The DX blend in the Thunderbirds is also very nice and grippy.

Pro scares me a bit. It can make a disc considerable less stable just like gstar. It can have a bit of a slick finish as well. Dx is much cheaper and grippier. (An old innova player here so things may have been tweaked-**** pro plastic wasn't even an option then).

I may have to give innova a call and see about some no stamped dx. Don't folks get this kind of stuff for dyes? I hate the dx stamp as it covers/dents the whole dam flight plate. PS haven't thrown the dx yet either.

After pulling my champ 165g thunderbirds out today I realized I need something with more grip until it gets even warmer. And it would be nice for wet play was well.

Last edited:
Pro scares me a bit. It can make a disc considerable less stable just like gstar. It can have a bit of a slick finish as well. Dx is much cheaper and grippier. (An old innova player here so things may have been tweaked-**** pro plastic wasn't even an option then).

I may have to give innova a call and see about some no stamped dx. Don't folks get this kind of stuff for dyes? I hate the dx stamp as it covers/dents the whole dam flight plate. PS haven't thrown the dx yet either.

After pulling my champ 165g thunderbirds out today I realized I need something with more grip until it gets even warmer. And it would be nice for wet play was well.
People usually remove the stamp. I do not think they are available without a stamp from the factory.

Got to toss my Pro Thunderbird on the course today. This thing glides for days. A bit less stable out of the box and I need to give it some help to finish to the left. (RHBH) But, it is an excellent compliment to my champ which holds close to the numbers. Great disc.

Got to toss my Pro Thunderbird on the course today. This thing glides for days. A bit less stable out of the box and I need to give it some help to finish to the left. (RHBH) But, it is an excellent compliment to my champ which holds close to the numbers. Great disc.

nice, cant wait to try one

I really need to get one of these. My champ and MF Thunderbirds get a lot of use.

The champ thunders have made it in the bag. With the warm weather the plastic is great and has some tac at higher temps.

Latest posts