• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

All of the new Innova pro plastic discs are pretty flat. I was hoping to get a Thunderbird with a little bit of a dome.

Mine has a slight dome compared to my dx's, which are all faf or concave. Also is it just me or is the dx thunderbird more stable than its' pro plastic counterpart? My 171 pro has some turn where as my 167 and 172 dx thundys are dead straight with fade. I notice the stability more when i throw FHs 330-350 because ill get a tight s curves with my pro.

All in all I love the pro and its in my bag with my dx, but because I like throwing low straight fh drives (330-350) i think my dx's work better for that. Then again it could be all in my head or some type of flaw in technique.

Mine has a slight dome compared to my dx's, which are all faf or concave. Also is it just me or is the dx thunderbird more stable than its' pro plastic counterpart? My 171 pro has some turn where as my 167 and 172 dx thundys are dead straight with fade. I notice the stability more when i throw FHs 330-350 because ill get a tight s curves with my pro.

All in all I love the pro and its in my bag with my dx, but because I like throwing low straight fh drives (330-350) i think my dx's work better for that. Then again it could be all in my head or some type of flaw in technique.

Check the Plh on the Dx vs the Pro. I would be willing to be that the Plh on the Dxs is higher. Unlike most discs, the Dx Thunderbird seems to mold up very flat and for this mold, that means a high Plh. This might be due to the extremely stiff blend of Dx used in the Thunderbirds. I have not compared the Pros or Metal Flakes, but in order of flattest and also highest Plh in the other plastics is Dx, Star, Champ, Gstar. Of course the Dx will season faster than the other plastics.

Just picked up a pro thunderbird this weekend but haven't had a chance to throw it yet. There is a (slight) dome, less than my champ one. The plastic feels really nice, bit flexy but not at all floppy. Hoping this will be a good US partner for my other one!

On a side note, does anybody else think the font on the stamp is from the 70s? o_O

The pro thunderbird I have has a nice little high speed turn. Maybe even -.5. The parting line on the pro is lower than the MF which is a hair lower than the Champ version.

Pretty pumped on trying out the Pro Thundys. Wish they where a little stiffer form what everyone is saying.

The DX finally made the bag. I bagged 2 champs(168&175) and the DX was beefier then both so couldn't justify keeping it around. Knowing it would eventually beat in I forced myself and played a DX only round. Now that thing is amazing! Still has its harder forward fade at the end but it kicks in much later and now has much more turn. It's a pretty unique flight characteristic having something that flips and turns and then at the very very end of its flight has a big fade. It's hit some more trees and what not since but hasn't really changed flight too much once it's got to this stability.

Sounds like the pros are pretty similar to my gstar. Does anyone who has thrown both care to weigh in on the differences?

I found the pro and gstar comparable. They both flex, have a shiny coat, and both have a little turn on them. I'm hoping for some stiffer, chalkier runs of pro in the future.

Kind of liking the Pro flex really, it's a bit soft above 80, but in the 60's or below, it's really good. I bought another.

I only have one pro Thunderbird but it feels like a distance driver compared to the gstsar. The pro has a big flex, lots of glide and a late fade. The couple gstars Thunderbirds I threw flew like a Thunderbird with just a little high speed turn.

I only have one pro Thunderbird but it feels like a distance driver compared to the gstsar. The pro has a big flex, lots of glide and a late fade. The couple gstars Thunderbirds I threw flew like a Thunderbird with just a little high speed turn.

Do what now? The Thunderbird flew like a Thunderbird? Seriously, could you be a little more specific about what you mean, this is a little vague. Do you mean like a Champ Thunderbird?

Yeah, sorry. I just meant the pro Thunderbird is significantly different than all of the other Thunderbirds. When new from most hss to least hss is DX, champ, star, MF, Gstar then pro. My beefiest champ Thunderbirds have 0 turn for me but my pro is a -1.5.

This has probably been covered, but this thread is starting to get pretty big, so I'll just ask: anyone here throw Thunderbirds forehand? and how are Thunderbirds for forehand shots?

Depends on what you are looking for out of a disc, just like backhand.

They were nice straight, little wiggle, small dump fade for me over 300'. Plenty reliable if you don't need a FB.

If you already bag ThBs they are not bad. If not I'd rather have a C or SPD for FH straight to fade shots that need more carry vs a FB, esp over 325'.

Anyone getting noticeable difference in distance with the pros? Always loved pro plastic for more glide and a little less stability. Wondering if that's the same with thbs?

Anyone getting noticeable difference in distance with the pros? Always loved pro plastic for more glide and a little less stability. Wondering if that's the same with thbs?

Exactly how I would describe the pro thundy. Slightly less stable to start tho.

I took a new Pro Thunderbird and a new Star Thunderbird out for field work today. I threw them next to a worked in Star and a new-ish DX. The Pro is noticeably more flat-topped than the Stars, although not as pancake flat as the DX. My initial impression is that the Pro is actually a tick more OS than the new Star. I was throwing all of them on regular golf lines in the 325-350 foot range. None of them really had any turn, but the Pro seemed to have the earliest, dumpiest fade of the lot. I was hoping the Pro Thundy would be the TL to my Star Thunderbird's Teebird, but such is not the case (at least not yet). I'm going to have to throw this one a lot more to see how quickly it beats in, but my early impression is much more overstable than expected.

Kinda disappointed to hear that. Got a gstar thundy and either its a freak, or its me, but its pretty darn OS. It starts fading after about 100-150 ft. Was hoping to pair a pro with it as my high end. From what you've seen Hughes, is star the least stable?

Latest posts