• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

3x depends a lot of color and weight and who's looking. They aren't in general high demand, but you could get a couple dollars profit. #discgolfrich

There is way too much to read though in this thread. This is the one mold I have been interested in trying, but there appears to be some consistency issues. Can someone give me a brief overview or what this mold is supposed to fly like and how the different plastics vary?

There is way too much to read though in this thread. This is the one mold I have been interested in trying, but there appears to be some consistency issues. Can someone give me a brief overview or what this mold is supposed to fly like and how the different plastics vary?

OK. I'm no Thunderbird expert. However, this mold has been catching my attention lately and I'm liking it a lot. I've thrown a G* and 2 champion Thunderbirds.

The G* was stable with a slight bit of high speed turn on hard rips. I won't call it flippy by any means, but it turned. Nice predictable fade at the end of flight. Surprisingly long. Longer than I was expecting easily. For a speed 9 it has a lot of distance. Predictable flight. It won't do anything erratic and can handle slight winds nicely. I'd almost liken this disc to a bit slower Starfire with better glide. I found myself reaching for the Thunderbird on holes where I don't quite need max distance, but accuracy is a must.

The champion Thunderbird is noticeably more stable than the G*. I won't call it a pig, but it doesn't have the high speed turn that the G* does. It'll still hold a good straight line and glide well though.

For me the G* was longer and glided better. Both were very good discs. Accurate, easy to control and surprisingly long. I guess the Thunderbird is similar to the Viking, but maybe a hair more stable and with better glide. A longer, slightly faster Eagle with better glide would be a good comparison too.

Hmm, I'd say it's supposed to fly like a faster Teebird. Plastic stabilities are unusual in this mold and go roughly thus (from most overstable to least):

DX
Star
Pro
Champ
GStar

I've only thrown the first run of DX (very stiff, grippy, and flat to puddle-topped) which starts very overstable and cycles slowly (for DX). The new run of DX coming out now is supposed to be softer; I don't know if it's any less overstable.

The Star and Pro I've thrown started out nearly identically and the pro took pretty long to wear in. I haven't thrown MF or Glow Champ, and I can't remember exactly where those sit on the spectrum, but I don't think they're quite as overstable as Star. Hopefully this is helpful for you!

I'd also agree with Twmccoy's assessment of GStar and Champ. GStar Thunderbirds (and DX's lighter than 160) are they only Thunderbirds I've thrown with a little turn out of the box. The biggest difference between Champ and Star is the fade. Stars will start fading earlier and harder whereas champs glide a little further and fade more softly.

I have Thunderbirds in GStar, Champion, Star, and DX.

As others have said, the Star is extremely overstable. It could be a glide-y Firebird. The DX is also overstable, but mine is not as OS as the Star. The Star ThBird is consistent for me, albeit consistently overstable.

Others will disagree, but my GStar ThBird is what turned me off to GStar. It is not as overstable as the other plastics, but my GStar ThBird was very inconsistent in its flights. That's when I got a Champion Thunderbird.

My McBeth 3x Champion Thunderbird is overstable, but not nearly as much as the Star ThBird, and it has good glide. Most of all, it's consistent and reliable.

Hmm, I'd say it's supposed to fly like a faster Teebird. Plastic stabilities are unusual in this mold and go roughly thus (from most overstable to least):

DX
Star
Pro
Champ
GStar

I've only thrown the first run of DX (very stiff, grippy, and flat to puddle-topped) which starts very overstable and cycles slowly (for DX). The new run of DX coming out now is supposed to be softer; I don't know if it's any less overstable.

The Star and Pro I've thrown started out nearly identically and the pro took pretty long to wear in. I haven't thrown MF or Glow Champ, and I can't remember exactly where those sit on the spectrum, but I don't think they're quite as overstable as Star. Hopefully this is helpful for you!

I have Thunderbirds in GStar, Champion, Star, and DX.

As others have said, the Star is extremely overstable. It could be a glide-y Firebird. The DX is also overstable, but mine is not as OS as the Star. The Star ThBird is consistent for me, albeit consistently overstable.

Others will disagree, but my GStar ThBird is what turned me off to GStar. It is not as overstable as the other plastics, but my GStar ThBird was very inconsistent in its flights. That's when I got a Champion Thunderbird.

My McBeth 3x Champion Thunderbird is overstable, but not nearly as much as the Star ThBird, and it has good glide. Most of all, it's consistent and reliable.

I can echo these comments as well. One thing to elaborate on - my DX Thunderbirds are the earlier runs and they are money! They beat in slowly and become lasers, only losing a touch of fade. They do start out more OS than the champs, but will work in become less stable than a champ. Very good discs, very straight with dependable fade and decent skip. This is one of the few molds in my bag that Id have a really hard time replacing.

I only busted out my glow champ thundy on one hole today (I disc down a good bit so it is usually over the range or isn't the line I want) but MAN if that wasn't my best ace run of 4 or 5 I had today. RHBH A good thundy holds a wide-right hyzer (what the hole called for) all the way to the end of the flight.

Such a great disc for when you wanna throw well-placed lines. I definitely enjoy ripping hard on teebirds Firebirds and valks but the thundy is just so comfortable (read: controllable) for power.

How far are all you guys throwing Thunderbirds? I'm probably doing about 400' with the champ. A hair further with the G*.

I'd say the disc is about 30' shy of all my longest drivers.

Nice, straight flights. Not a ridiculous amount of S curve or sharp late fade.

How far are all you guys throwing Thunderbirds? I'm probably doing about 400' with the champ. A hair further with the G*.

I'd say the disc is about 30' shy of all my longest drivers.

Nice, straight flights. Not a ridiculous amount of S curve or sharp late fade.

I'm typically throwing Thunderbirds on shots between 300 and 360 depending on the line called for. I've thrown them out to maybe 390 in a field on a flex line, but I wouldn't usually try that on the course.

I don't think distance wise the pd has anything on the thunder.

Remember, these two discs are crafted out of the same mold. The Pd is sharper on the wing but everything else is identical.

I really look at these discs as modern day tbirds. Bread and butter fairway drivers.

I don't think distance wise the pd has anything on the thunder.

Remember, these two discs are crafted out of the same mold. The Pd is sharper on the wing but everything else is identical.

I really look at these discs as modern day tbirds. Bread and butter fairway drivers.

I bought two PDs to try to find something to go to the left of my Star Thunderbird. The P is not OS enough, and the S is too OS. I can't throw that thing anywhere, and I HATE that top. Same top as DD and DDx. I wish that top would go away.

I bought two PDs to try to find something to go to the left of my Star Thunderbird. The P is not OS enough, and the S is too OS. I can't throw that thing anywhere, and I HATE that top. Same top as DD and DDx. I wish that top would go away.

Beat that Spd in and you will see its beauty. You could keep it in the bag in the meantime as a reliable straight to fade headwind driver.

What about the top do you not like? Is your PD nice and flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat that Spd in and you will see its beauty. You could keep it in the bag in the meantime as a reliable straight to fade headwind driver.

What about the top do you not like? Is your PD nice and flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to try.

That strange little curve at the very edge of the top.

Wow, someone other than me hates the PD top on here? I thought I was the only one; everyone else seems to rave about that disc, but I can't stand the top either. Fwiw, I bookend my Thunderbirds with a Sexton Firebird.

Wow, someone other than me hates the PD top on here? I thought I was the only one; everyone else seems to rave about that disc, but I can't stand the top either. Fwiw, I bookend my Thunderbirds with a Sexton Firebird.

That's next if I fail with the PD. My other thought is a stock Star. I have the Halloween stamp, and it may not be as stable.

That's next if I fail with the PD. My other thought is a stock Star. I have the Halloween stamp, and it may not be as stable.

That's funny, but I have a pair of Halloween stamped Stars which is what I'm currently bagging as well. You'll have to tell me if the stock Star is any more overstable than the Halloween stamps are.

stock runs are more OS. I used the Halloween runs when they came out and it was literally a longer teebird for me. The stock runs, however were so different I just went back to my Halloween ones. Mind you my lantern TB is 175 where as my stocks are 169. Maybe its just me but I dont bag the stocks anymore.

Latest posts