• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

So for all you Thunderbird throwers. Why do you prefer it over the PD (for those who have tried both)? I've been throwing PDs since before the Thunderbird was released. I've acquired 5 or 6 Champion Thunderbirds over the last couple years. I've never really given them a far shot though. I've only used them a few times during field work.

So for all you Thunderbird throwers. Why do you prefer it over the PD (for those who have tried both)? I've been throwing PDs since before the Thunderbird was released. I've acquired 5 or 6 Champion Thunderbirds over the last couple years. I've never really given them a far shot though. I've only used them a few times during field work.

It's pretty simple for me. I've tried PDs a couple times, but I could never get used to the anhyzer top. It felt weird in my hand and came out inconsistently for me. I'm sure I could be better with PDs if I wanted to, but I didn't really care all that much.

Before Thunderbirds, I threw Teebirds and Destroyers, which is fine for my distance range. But the runs of Teebirds I really liked were hard to get and expensive (namely 2013 AJ Stars and 2013 Brinster champs). When I first threw the initial release of champion Thunderbirds, I didn't really love them that much. But then I tried the Stars and DX's and fell in love with them. They fly a lot like the runs of Teebirds I like, but they go just a little bit further on a full rip (and do lower lines better) which differentiates them just a little more from my mids. So now I bag Thunderbirds instead of Teebirds.

Honestly, I doubt there's actually all that much difference flight-wise between Thunderbirds and PDs. You can get more overstable and less overstable versions of both discs depending on the run and plastic type. So I'd say it comes down to plastic type preference, familiarity, and how the disc feels in your hand. If you're going to replace PDs with Thunderbirds though, you probably need to get some Stars for overstable duties to go along with the champs. If you want one with a little turn out of the box, you could also throw in a GStar.

For me the Thunderbird has become a mainstay and probably my most thrown driver. It ranges nicely to cover a multitude of shots. As somebody who threw the PD/FD combo for 3-4 years, the Thunderbird was an easy transition. The reason I now throw the Thunderbird over the PD is because it seems to have better glide and it matches my power and arm speed. The other reason I walked away from the PD was because of the "boutique runs" that they do. I get tired of having to find the pearly third run with ground up unicorn horn that is the best flying disc in the world. I don't want to spend $30-$40 on a thrower if/when I lose one. Give me stock run plastic any day of the week. The Champ Thunderbird for me has been really consistent. I've yet to buy one that was so variably different from any other that I owned.

I have been messing around with a champ and gstar thunderbird. They both seem alright, but I am having a hard spot finding where they are going to fit in my bag. They don't fly too much farther than teebirds and they are too short of my destroyers either. Do you guys still have a traditional fairway in your bag or does the thunderbird consume that role for you?

Do you guys still have a traditional fairway in your bag or does the thunderbird consume that role for you?

Nope. Just the Thundy. I do love Teebirds but I have big hands and long fingers. I always had trouble with my release point on 7 speed drivers when I use a power grip. I could fan grip them but that tears up my finger. The Thunderbird fits perfectly. I don't have much of a gap between mids and the Thunderbird. If I need to power down a bit I use a beat Gstar. Holds a great line powered down.

I have been messing around with a champ and gstar thunderbird. They both seem alright, but I am having a hard spot finding where they are going to fit in my bag. They don't fly too much farther than teebirds and they are too short of my destroyers either. Do you guys still have a traditional fairway in your bag or does the thunderbird consume that role for you?

I understand your problem, and I empathize. Of course, some of it may be the course(s) you play. It may be you don't really need that disc between the Teebird and Destroyer. Some might power down their Thunderbird/Firebird/OS 9-speed instead of carrying a Teebird.

The good news is that you get to have a lot of fun throwing discs while finding out what works best for you. :thmbup: :)

Nope. Just the Thundy. I do love Teebirds but I have big hands and long fingers. I always had trouble with my release point on 7 speed drivers when I use a power grip. I could fan grip them but that tears up my finger. The Thunderbird fits perfectly. I don't have much of a gap between mids and the Thunderbird. If I need to power down a bit I use a beat Gstar. Holds a great line powered down.

Yes yes and yes. I occassssssionally bag a TL or something close either fresh for an accurate flex or seasoned for easy flip to flat.

Most of these guys have nailed it but I find the Thunderbird (Champ/jolly launcher) to have more gilde and not as dumpy of a fade. Holds a straighter line, longer. I love PDs and bagged them for a while but the Thundy is getting more love lately. It's just more workable for me. Now with the sexton FB in the bag, I'm not sure if I'll be missing the PD much, but we'll see if that changes next windy-day round.

I can't really consider the Thunderbird a fairway driver. It's a tad too fast and flies too far. The thing is long. Longer than I thought it would be.

Similar flight to an Eagle, but quite a bit longer and with more glide.

I'd put it a notch below something like a Destroyer. Kind of an idiotproof disc. Anyone from a rec player to a pro could put one in the bag and find uses for it.

If I'm playing a course that I know has some tighter tunnel shots, I'll bag a couple of S-Line FD's just for those holes. Otherwise, the two Champ Thunderbird in my bag can cover a variety of shots from 300-375 for me(One moderately overstable and one that is beat in enough to be workable on a lot of angles).

I also think the term "fairway driver" has evolved to include disc's in the speed 7-10 rather than 5-7 like it was when I started playing.

I also think the term "fairway driver" has evolved to include disc's in the speed 7-10 rather than 5-7 like it was when I started playing.

I still put the term fairway driver on speed 6-8 and control driver on 9-10. Maybe even 11 speed. When you have a disc as workable as the Thunderbird it can cover a lot though.

I've tried to show the Thunderbird some love. The only thing I've been good at with them so far is losing them. I left one on the course and sent another into the drink at Lincoln Ridge. Both with ink and number.. never a peep from somoone to return them. I have one more X out left. Seems I'm destined to lose it and if so I will just stick with Teebirds

First time Thunderbird thrower:

I got a hold of a couple Luster Champion Thunderbirds at a recent tournament and have been working them out on the course. I really like them a lot. I only use them for FH shots as they are useless to me BH. I love speed 9 drivers and these feel great in my hand. Question......are regular Champion (McBeth 4X) Thunderbirds as OS as Luster Champion?

First time Thunderbird thrower:

I got a hold of a couple Luster Champion Thunderbirds at a recent tournament and have been working them out on the course. I really like them a lot. I only use them for FH shots as they are useless to me BH. I love speed 9 drivers and these feel great in my hand. Question......are regular Champion (McBeth 4X) Thunderbirds as OS as Luster Champion?

No they are not. They are significantly less OS

I wonder now if Luster will ever become a regular production?
I hope so. I really like my Luster Teebird. It's flatter than my regular production Champs. If you want a regular production Thunderbird that's more overstable than stock Champion, get a Star. Specifically a flat Star. I wanted a littl more overstable Champion Thunderbird. So I kept throwing C-PDs when I first tried out Champ. I felt the Champs weren't beefy/torque resistant enough for my forehand (I'm a torque monkey when I throw sidearm :D). Star Thunderbirds work great for my flick. They kicked PDs out of my bag because I don't like having to look for certain runs of C-Line.

They kicked PDs out of my bag because I don't like having to look for certain runs of C-Line.

That whole 'look for certain runs' thing with Discmania is why I've never tried any of their stuff. My first run Z Stalker is exactly like every one I've ever bought since they came out.

Does anyone not throw Thunderbirds longer than Teebirds? A typical Champ Thunderbird is longer than an overstable Teebird for me (Thunderbird has more glide, more speed, but also a little more turn and a bigger sweeping fade) but I still think that mellow Teebirds like beat Star or Gstar are longer and straighter than the Thunderbird...but won't handle wind as well. Of course if I want a left finish at close to that range or to hold a hyzer then the Thunderbird is the answer.

Or do Thunderbirds need to be beat for a while to really mellow out the fade for them to get as long as people claim ("near distance driver distance").

Latest posts