• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

How do the plastics compare for stability? Star vs Champion vs G*?

From most overstable to least in my experience:

DX (first run stiff DX at least, not sure about current run)
Star
Pro
Champion
GStar

Note that the Pro I have started almost as OS as Star, but I think other people have gotten pros that were less stable, so Pro might be above or below champion depending on the current Pro blend. I also have no experience with the metal flakes.

I want to order another one but some of the bad colors I've seen have scared me away.

I threw a fresh pro that was stable to understable, almost flippy. The g*s I've thrown are stable/overstable, straight to fade and only turn in solid headwinds.
I've also thrown a fresh mf champ that was overstable. Not a meat hook, but it was a lot more stable than the g*

I just like the plastic, fairly rigid star swirl. This disc is longer more glidey than the normal star stuff I had tried.

You know, it is just a good looking disc in the type of plastic I like and it flies as long as any thunder I've thrown.

Shout out to my Star Thunderbird which got me the birdie on Hole 2 at Blue Lake during a tournament this last weekend. The hole is 425 feet with an OB line all the way down the left side and a pair of guardian trees in the middle of the fairly about 300 feet up with the right tree being a mando. I decided to layup the hole with my Thunderbird for the tournament to avoid OB rather than going for it with a distance driver. I got over on my drive a little bit and went between the trees getting pretty close to the mando, then faded gently back for a 25 foot putt. I didn't even know I could throw a Thunderbird 400 feet on such a tight line before that shot, but my Star Thunderbird just keeps getting better and better. It's a great mold for sure.

Incidentally, wasn't it a Big Jerm Thunderbird that I saw McBeth throw a 600 foot eagle with on hole 1 at the Idlewild Open during the final round? The commentators didn't say the disc, but the stamp looked like that Big Jerm Thunderbird he put in his bag recently.

So these Big Jerm Thunderbirds fly like champs normally do? They fly that way when McBeth throws them too...but the initial stars that came out were super beefy, right?

So these Big Jerm Thunderbirds fly like champs normally do? They fly that way when McBeth throws them too...but the initial stars that came out were super beefy, right?

The initial run of swirly star CFR Thunderbirds that came out in late 2014 were beefy cakes. Much more overstable than the current Koling runs. Not that that's good or bad but definitely different.

I'm honestly not too sure about that. I'd guess they are pretty beefy honestly, although I haven't thrown one. I mean if I'm right about Idlewild, McBeth threw one on a 600 foot flex line and it hyzered out just fine with that level of power behind it. The Factory Store page doesn't address stability, but it does say they are supposed to be the flattest Star Thunderbirds produced. The first run of DX's were also super flat and they were quite overstable, much more than champion.

Shout out to my Star Thunderbird which got me the birdie on Hole 2 at Blue Lake during a tournament this last weekend. The hole is 425 feet with an OB line all the way down the left side and a pair of guardian trees in the middle of the fairly about 300 feet up with the right tree being a mando. I decided to layup the hole with my Thunderbird for the tournament to avoid OB rather than going for it with a distance driver. I got over on my drive a little bit and went between the trees getting pretty close to the mando, then faded gently back for a 25 foot putt. I didn't even know I could throw a Thunderbird 400 feet on such a tight line before that shot, but my Star Thunderbird just keeps getting better and better. It's a great mold for sure.

Incidentally, wasn't it a Big Jerm Thunderbird that I saw McBeth throw a 600 foot eagle with on hole 1 at the Idlewild Open during the final round? The commentators didn't say the disc, but the stamp looked like that Big Jerm Thunderbird he put in his bag recently.

Good job.

That might've been a Big Jerm Thunderbird McBeth was throwing. He also aced with a Thunderbird earlier in the year.

The ace at the Gentlemans club was a champion tho, wasn't it? They are less OS than the stiff runs of star that I have thrown.

I have only thrown Gstar, Champ, and one Star from the initial ones that were put out. They go in that stability order too, where Star was almost like an FD3. I saw Koling throw a couple of 8' high 400' lasers with his model star in person before I heard they are more reasonable stability...if they were as beefy as the star I tried before then that wouldn't have made any sense.

Basically I like the champ Thunderbird stability the most, but I prefer star plastic. I have no reason to change if I don't lose mine. Gummy champ is ok to me but star still feels better.

I have only thrown Gstar, Champ, and one Star from the initial ones that were put out. They go in that stability order too, where Star was almost like an FD3. I saw Koling throw a couple of 8' high 400' lasers with his model star in person before I heard they are more reasonable stability...if they were as beefy as the star I tried before then that wouldn't have made any sense.

Basically I like the champ Thunderbird stability the most, but I prefer star plastic. I have no reason to change if I don't lose mine. Gummy champ is ok to me but star still feels better.

Agreed, and My ThBird experiences are very similar. My Star ThBird was (and still is) massively OS, my McBeth 3x Champ ThBird is more reasonable, and my GStar ThBird was inconsistent. I may one day get a Big Jerm ThBird and see how it does, but it's not a pressing need for me.

figured hole one at idlewild was a destroyer.

the big jerms really aren't all that stable but man do they go.

I did some testing recently with some champ thunderbirds and pd c line luster. The Pd and thunderbirds are bascially the same mold but the thunderbirds have a more rounded wing. This gives them more glide and turn.

Surprised at how far thunderbirds go really amazing for a 9/10 speed disc.

figured hole one at idlewild was a destroyer.

the big jerms really aren't all that stable but man do they go.

I did some testing recently with some champ thunderbirds and pd c line luster. The Pd and thunderbirds are bascially the same mold but the thunderbirds have a more rounded wing. This gives them more glide and turn.

Surprised at how far thunderbirds go really amazing for a 9/10 speed disc.

Not the same mold at all. Same wing, very different tops.

The Firebird, PD, Thunderbird and OLF all use the Firebird wing.
The newer OLFs MIGHT be the same mold as a Thunderbird, top and bottom. Although the original OLF were the Firebird wing with a Starfire/Wraith top, these newer ones really just feel and look like Thunderbirds. And they're pretty good frizbeez.

Thunderbird throwers - are you still bagging teebirds/leopards alongside faster fairways? Or have you switched from putters / speed 4 mid / speed 6-7 fairway / DD style setups to putter and fast driving putters / fast speed-5 mids / speed 9-10 fairways / warp speed DDs?

Latest posts