• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I only have one glow thunderbird but I don't notice any difference between it and champ.

I only have one glow thunderbird but I don't notice any difference between it and champ.
I have quite a few stock Champion & Star Thunderbirds. I also have one tournament stamped Glow Champ. I was actually doing field work yesterday for a few hours with a stack of Thunderbirds. I recently put them back in my bag. My Glow is pretty flat. I have a mix of flat & slightly domey regular Champ. I noticed the Glow was slightly more overstable & more consistent when thrown sidearm. It for sure had noticeably more fade than my domey Champs. I agree they're pretty close in stability to flat Champs. I think my Glow is just a little more overstable than the stock Champion flat ones. I haven't thrown the Glow much backhand though. One major factor could also be that I'm a lot more consistent flicking flat discs.

Granted this is when Thunderbirds first came out, but the first glow that I had was a glideless pig in comparison to my Champ. I cannot speak for them since then because I switched over to PDs, specifically G-PDs, and they are everything I wanted Thunderbirds to be... To be fair, my seasoned Proto Star Champ Thunderbird is exactly what I wanted Thunderbirds to be, but I could not find another one like it - stable but not overstable, glide but no real fade, and truly was a longer PFN TeeBird.

Any feedback on DX thunderbirds? I'm looking to pick up either a D-line PD, or DX thunderbird for water holes. I'm hoping they beat up and season like a DX Teebird. In my mind, these two seem like essentially the same disc. Has anyone thrown one or both? Thoughts?

Any feedback on DX thunderbirds? I'm looking to pick up either a D-line PD, or DX thunderbird for water holes. I'm hoping they beat up and season like a DX Teebird. In my mind, these two seem like essentially the same disc. Has anyone thrown one or both? Thoughts?

In my experience DX Thunderbirds are nothing like DX Teebirds. DX Thunderbirds tend to be pancake flat and start out more overstable than just about any other type of Thunderbird. The first run Thunderbird DX plastic was super stiff and grippy and beat in pretty slowly (for DX). I've heard the runs after that are a little softer but I haven't thrown one so I don't know. If you can find one that's not super flat, then it probably won't be quite as overstable, but I'm guessing it will still be quite a bit more overstable than a DX Teebird. As DX Thunderbirds beat in, they tend to lose high speed stability, but still fade pretty good at the end of their flight in my experience.

I've never thrown a D-line PD so maybe someone else can provide that comparison.

This is a very informative reply. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll try one of each. I'm just tired f throwing champ and star plastic into the river.

Don't get me wrong, I like DX Thunderbirds a lot. They are great throwers; just not so much like DX Teebirds in my experience.

I traded a dude for a star Thunderbird and its a stable bitch. I picked up a DX and it'll turn a fair amount if thrown really hard, kinda like a beat teebird. However, the star TH as advertised here, don't do that. I flexed it 325', I flexed it FH 275' both on hard distance line throws. It's like a thrashed firebird that with a lot of power, wants to go straight for 50-60% of the flight then has a strong sweeping fade. I'm not sure I've got a place for it unless I need a longer Firebird and I'm playing in some serious winds.

^ Yeah, they are really HSS. I can give my Star Thunderbird a lot of anhyzer on a FH and it always fights out of it with a huge forward fade. The super glide gives it a lot of carry too. This mold could easily replace so many os high speed drivers (Destroyer type discs) for most players.

^ Yeah, they are really HSS. I can give my Star Thunderbird a lot of anhyzer on a FH and it always fights out of it with a huge forward fade. The super glide gives it a lot of carry too. This mold could easily replace so many os high speed drivers (Destroyer type discs) for most players.

I totally agree with this. ^^^

I really liked how Thunderbirds flew (I have used and tried all except star), but in the end, I had to drop them. The rim was just too shallow for my fat fingers and I kept having release issues.

The current trend of all new drivers having 1.1mm deep rims is becoming really annoying for me. :mad:

I totally agree with this. ^^^

I really liked how Thunderbirds flew (I have used and tried all except star), but in the end, I had to drop them. The rim was just too shallow for my fat fingers and I kept having release issues.

The current trend of all new drivers having 1.1mm deep rims is becoming really annoying for me. :mad:

It's the only 1.1 depth rim driver that I don't have issues with. For some reason it doesn't feel that shallow. I threw Terns and an Insanity (both 1.1) for a while and had those release issues but not with the Thunderbird. My FH claw has no problems with it.

It's like a thrashed firebird that with a lot of power, wants to go straight for 50-60% of the flight then has a strong sweeping fade. I'm not sure I've got a place for it unless I need a longer Firebird and I'm playing in some serious winds.

They are actually really good for moderate angle placement hyzers. A Teebird will glide too straight for me, or if on a lot of hyzer will keep pushing left. And a Firebird needs a ton of power and a steep enough hyzer angle so it will sit...otherwise they will get an additional skip. A stable Thunderbird will get much more distance than the Firebird without a weird finish, and hold the line and try to find the ground better than a typical Teebird.

I had a teebird that made this sweeping hyzer almost blindfolded. There are two gaps. An inside gap, just right of the tree jail and left of the 100' away center aiming tree. Shots thrown too flat but still making the inside gap more often hit one of the other 10 trees leading up to the basket. The outside gap, right of the center tree on a hard hyzer has a good chance of making the back door line through several trees. As long as I threw it hard enough to get there, I knew it would fly far enough on the tight line before stalling or fading out or if I held onto it a bit that TB would have enough fade to keep it out of the trees on the outside.

Its holes like this that makes cycling a must for me. I hit trees hard. My **** gets flippy and I miss the fresh but still NEED the original. There are several guys around here that throw some 20 year old stuff that will do barrel rolls on command, but I don't got time to learn all that. I'm lucky they don't practice their putting:p;)

I'm old and slow and don't want to try too hard on these slick ass teepads. Firebirds fade out too soon, maybe I'll go back to an eagle, maybe disc up to one of these:confused:

Attachments

• Shelby Forest East #9.jpg
    Shelby Forest East #9.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 37
^Honestly I prefer Teebirds on something like that too where there's a specific tunnel. Give the Thunderbird a shot for a bit...worst case scenario is your tree hitting beats it in and you like it more after that. I like that the Thunderbird isn't "that" much more power hungry than a Teebird, but it still is a bit. So in tunnels I do prefer the Teebird, knowing that if I baby it too much, it will still fly. I do like the placement shots with the Thunderbird though, in open situations where you need to hold a line and also have it land in a specific point. It'll carry similar to a Teebird, but have good stability to hold a line, and its sweeping fade helps pinpoint the ending zone.

How are the Swirly Stars flying? I was torn between those and a Sexton FireBird, I ended up ordering a Swirly Star ThunderBird as I could find those whereas I couldn't find any Sexton Birds.