• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Well, I was curious to try the dx thunderbird. Could barely remember some of the talk about the dx when it came out and it seemed that it was very stable. (With the cooler wet autumn weather dx stuff and gstar is starting to filter into the bag)'

As it turns out the two blues I bought were exactly what I was hoping for.. Really surprised. {My first run dx pds are like opposite as they just turn and burn.}

Anyone know the scoop on how they got these to be stable in dx blend, well like they should be. And what happened with dx pd's which I consider a near twin of the thunder?

Also, can I count on the dx stuff being stable or was it just a one run kind of thing? I was hoping to buy another pair for backups.

Last edited:
Well, I was curious to try the dx thunderbird. Could barely remember some of the talk about the dx when it came out and it seemed that it was very stable. (With the cooler wet autumn weather dx stuff and gstar is starting to filter into the bag)'

As it turns out the two blues I bought were exactly what I was hoping for.. Really surprised. {My first run dx pds are like opposite as they just turn and burn.}

Anyone know the scoop on how they got these to be stable in dx blend, well like they should be. And what happened with dx pd's which I consider a near twin of the thunder?

Also, can I count on the dx stuff being stable or was it just a one run kind of thing? I was hoping to buy another pair for backups.

Are the ones you bought super stiff and tacky kind of like the "Stiff Pro" plastic they make Pigs and Rhynos in for the Factory Store or Yeti Pro plastic? That was what the first run DX felt like. I've heard the 2nd run was softer and more flexible, but I've got so many first run DX's that I've never looked at later runs.

My theory is that at least that first run of DX Thunderbirds was really some blend of putter Pro rather than actual DX plastic. They molded up super flat to puddle topped with high PLH which is not normal for DX drivers, but it made them really nicely overstable. I don't think anyone ever reported seeing that same blend of "DX" in any other molds.

I actually hope what you have are not first runs, but a later run which would mean that they are stilling molding up nice and stable.

good question. I imagine their has been only one or two runs of dx thunders. assuming most people are buying different the premium grades in this mold. but I could be totally wrong.

the ones I have are firm, tacky just like dx should be. but I'm comparing this opinion buying dx since the early 90's.

they say thunderbird on them so I don't know if this indicates run.

as for the pro plastic being mixed in...they scratch just like dx. but I guess a little pro could have been put in.

such a great mold and plastic for this time of year.

Last edited:
There are at least two dx runs of the Thunderbird. The first run was firm and tacky. Second run reportedly was a little bit softer than the first, but still tacky

really, for me the stability is the most important on this mold and plastic type. cause dx is generally more glidey and understable I want the run to be as stable as possible.

if the second run has the same stability but is just a hair softer i'm cool with that. particularly because these are being used for cooler season play.

really, for me the stability is the most important on this mold and plastic type. cause dx is generally more glidey and understable I want the run to be as stable as possible.

if the second run has the same stability but is just a hair softer i'm cool with that. particularly because these are being used for cooler season play.

The first run of the dx Thunderbird is more overstable and flatter.

I bought just a new Dx Thunderbird and it is different than last years'. This looks and flies a bit like Dx Eagle.

Can someone comment on the less stable thundies? Thinking DX, pro, GStar... Any new runs of star that are less beefy?

Think a faster DX teebird for what I'm looking for.

Can someone comment on the less stable thundies? Thinking DX, pro, GStar... Any new runs of star that are less beefy?

Think a faster DX teebird for what I'm looking for.

From my experience with Champ, Star, and Pro Thunderbirds (my main driver mold, rhbh and rhfh) I'd say try Pro if you want a less stable Thunderbird. Mine started out laser straight; like a faster and longer Teebird. It developed a little bit of turn after a few rounds to where a flat release would drift right but then come back with a glidey, forward fade.

Champ gets there also. I have a cycle of 3x and 4x Champ Thunderbirds and they have aged nicely through the usual series of tree hits, concrete skips, etc. But Pro is either already there or will be there soon.

EDIT: This is all with penned runs; I don't have experience yet with the embossed runs.

My experience is with Champion, GStar, and Star Thunderbirds.

Of those three the Champ has the most noticeable turn followed by a worn in GStar.

Looks like Innova's really digging into the collector/niche market lately with a bunch of limited/expensive releases. Don't they already have the Koling Thunderbird? I wonder what the difference here is...

Looks like they threw a lot of names on a lot of discs, probably to keep promises to the Team to raise them some green dollar bills, and to give the collectors something.

Just an incentive to rep the brand. If you're a fan of the player or the specific mold it's a win.

Looks like they threw a lot of names on a lot of discs, probably to keep promises to the Team to raise them some green dollar bills, and to give the collectors something.

I guess I won't complain. The star plastic on all those discs is stellar. I'm not going to pay top price for them though.

Don't they already have the Koling Thunderbird? I wonder what the difference here is...

The Jeremy Koling Thunderbirds from last year were Swirly Star. These Madison Walker Thunderbirds are Color Glow Champion. That's the difference.:D

The Jeremy Koling Thunderbirds from last year were Swirly Star. These Madison Walker Thunderbirds are Color Glow Champion. That's the difference.:D

OK. That qualifies as being different enough. At first glance I assumed they were both Star.

The discs themselves are gorgeous. I have one of the Koling ones.

OK. That qualifies as being different enough. At first glance I assumed they were both Star.

The discs themselves are gorgeous. I have one of the Koling ones.

They look great, but fly even better.

I guess I won't complain. The star plastic on all those discs is stellar. I'm not going to pay top price for them though.

I'm not going to pay the Proshop's usurious shipping charges, nor try to get over their high free shipping threshold. If Infinite gets some in, I might purchase something...

I'm not going to pay the Proshop's usurious shipping charges, nor try to get over their high free shipping threshold. If Infinite gets some in, I might purchase something...

Infinite Disc's free shipping threshold is even higher than that of the Innova Pro shop. Maybe you already have other discs from Infinite in mind that would put you over the top, though.

Every time I shop the Innova Pro Shop, I am like, "Let's see ... one of these, one of those, and this one..." and I am over their threshold in no time.

Latest posts