• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Star Thunderbirds are typically quite overstable, certainly the super stiff runs from a couple of years ago were beefy. I hear that the other plastic blends are more workable

Picked up one of these over the weekend, I'm getting my Teebirds and Eagles out a little past 300' and am starting to play with faster drivers. So far I've picked up an old (2011) GL Striker, new GL Saint, s-PD and the star Thunderbird, all around 167-170.

The Thunderbird I grabbed might be an oddball, it's more than a meathook. If I put a straight flat throw RHBH on it, it goes 75' and starts cutting left, finishes about 175' and on a 45deg angle. I bag a Reaper and have a Predator, neither one is that overstable. I thought the PD would have been more out of my arm speed but It gets out to around 330' with a nice forward pushing fade at the end which I have really been liking but the Thunderbird, that thing just wants to dive left on me, heck even the Flick I have doesn't act that way.

Your Star Thunderbird is not an oddball. The first run of Star Thundys came out VERY overstable. Firebird-"ish" overstable. My Champion, GStar, and Pro Thunderbirds are nowhere near the meathook my Star Thundy is.

Picked up one of these over the weekend, I'm getting my Teebirds and Eagles out a little past 300' and am starting to play with faster drivers. So far I've picked up an old (2011) GL Striker, new GL Saint, s-PD and the star Thunderbird, all around 167-170.

The Thunderbird I grabbed might be an oddball, it's more than a meathook. If I put a straight flat throw RHBH on it, it goes 75' and starts cutting left, finishes about 175' and on a 45deg angle. I bag a Reaper and have a Predator, neither one is that overstable. I thought the PD would have been more out of my arm speed but It gets out to around 330' with a nice forward pushing fade at the end which I have really been liking but the Thunderbird, that thing just wants to dive left on me, heck even the Flick I have doesn't act that way.

That's more beefy than I'd expect, but I have definitely thrown a star or two that were very OS. Closer to an FD3 than a Thunderbird of other plastics. The champs are more similar to the PD you have if you can get it to 330'ish at your arm speed. Slight differences in speed vs. glide but they can do basically the same thing.

Give the Saint and Striker some time to beat in and they will likely complement the PD well, Saint should become quite neutral and Strikers can be turnover discs.

Thanks, good to know about the star versions, I didn't do any research on them just saw one in the store and grabbed it, figure I can use it for an overhand disc for a while and see if it breaks in any.

Thanks, good to know about the star versions, I didn't do any research on them just saw one in the store and grabbed it, figure I can use it for an overhand disc for a while and see if it breaks in any.

Mine never really did, despite throwing it into the brick wall of a schoolhouse at close range a number of times. You might try getting a Champ or Pro Thunderbird and see if it's more in your wheelhouse. I'm considering putting my Star Thunderbird back in my bag (replacing the Pro Thunderbird that's in there) as a Firebird substitute.

I've asked it before. I'll ask it again.

How are the Pro Thunderbirds right now? I know some Pro plastic runs can be stiffer and some *Starish.

How are the Pro Thunderbirds right now? I know some Pro plastic runs can be stiffer and some *Starish.

i have a pair of the recent pro Thunderbirds.

i like them well straight out of the box.

they are not too stiff, not too flexy, they are grippy

they are workable fresh, not overstable

for me they are just perfect

i have a pair of the recent pro Thunderbirds.

i like them well straight out of the box.

they are not too stiff, not too flexy, they are grippy

they are workable fresh, not overstable

for me they are just perfect

I need to order one. I would want it to season into a new Champ/Star Valkyrie stability but with that Thunderbird super glide.

My F2 Pro Thunderbird has become a bit more grippy (i.e. less slick) with use, and the flight is still straight with finishing fade. I've been testing it against my F2 Star SL, and the Pro Thundy is still more OS for now. With warmer weather coming and Winter testing finishing up, I have to decide if I want to replace the Pro Thundy (which is somewhat redundant with the SL for me) with the Sexton Firebird or Star Thundy for wind-fighting, utility uses.

Pro Thundebirds are good discs, though, and you'll get your Champ/Star Valk with time and use...

Hard to say, because it probably all depends where you get them from, and how long they've had em in stock. Every pro thunderbird I've had has been $$$. I have a beat in one from about a year ago which is a little softer pro plastic, not super soft though like some pro, and I also have two F2's that are shiny stiffer pro plastic. I love those ones, and they seem to be slightly more durable than the softer pro I have. They almost seems like star, but don't fly anything like a star Thunderbird, they are much more neutral. I honestly think you'll be happy regardless of which ones you get. I should have ordered a couple more of those F2's.

I have a silky nice Pro right now. Grippy, but not rubbish Pro that gets destroyed and hard after a bit of exposure.

Pro has really become the best 'tweener plastic by a mile. Damn near Star at much lower price.

Icebat is right on though. Best to stick to newer molds to get the good stuff.

This translates to Discmania as well.

Just bought a 168g Champion Embossed Thunderbird. The plastic is pretty stiff, and this thing is BEEF. Is that typical of embossed ones? I haven't thrown a Thunderbird in a while but the ones I used to have were pretty straight, like a longer teebird. This one is bordering on firebird territory, which is great since it has a ton more glide than my firebird.

Anyways, I just ordered a 175g penned one to compliment this, hopefully they aren't all beef. It's nice to have a beefy one but I hope they're not all like that now. For what it's worth I throw about 350', 400' max

Got my Pro Thunderbird out to the field today. It's 175g and flat. Not near as stable as my seasoned Star. Right out of the gate this thing has a 9/5/-1/1.5 type flight. No where near as OS as my seasoned Star or especially my Luster Champion. I was getting some huge distance out of it though. I don't have a lot of experience with how Pro plastic seasons. Star has always taken a long while.

Got my Pro Thunderbird out to the field today. It's 175g and flat. Not near as stable as my seasoned Star. Right out of the gate this thing has a 9/5/-1/1.5 type flight. No where near as OS as my seasoned Star or especially my Luster Champion. I was getting some huge distance out of it though. I don't have a lot of experience with how Pro plastic seasons. Star has always taken a long while.

It will be understable pretty quickly depending on how much you throw it. I have/had a few Pro plastic disc in the last year that lost a good amount of stability pretty dang quick. My Pro Valk (not new Pro plastic, PFN) went from being a gently turn over to fade, to a hyzer flip to anny and never come back disc, over the course of a summer. I had a Pro Tern that went from lazer straight to tailwind driver only, and has since been shelved.

For me, the Star Thunderbird was very OS. Too beefy for me. At least not what I was looking for. The Champion seasoned in very nicely. Been wanting to pair that with a Pro and get them back in the bag. They're a lot like my Convict, just not as squirrely in a slight wind. Although the Culverin has had my eye lol

Does anyone have experience with the christmas snowflake stamp pearly thunderbirds? how are they stability wise? i like overstable champ thunderbirds for sidearms.

How stable are the stock star stamped thunderbirds in comparison to the champ runs?

I have only thrown the early run stock stamp stars, the really firm and flat runs. They were really quite overstable, more so than the champions.

I have only thrown the early run stock stamp stars, the really firm and flat runs. They were really quite overstable, more so than the champions.

I recently picked up some 2018 Sexton Firebirds. I still think they fly pretty similar to my max weight champ Thunderbirds. The Sextons might be a little better handling wobble and OAT.

I'm wondering if those early Star Thunderbirds would have really been comparable to current Sextons.

I recently picked up some 2018 Sexton Firebirds. I still think they fly pretty similar to my max weight champ Thunderbirds. The Sextons might be a little better handling wobble and OAT.

I'm wondering if those early Star Thunderbirds would have really been comparable to current Sextons.

Idk the first run (bird stamps, two different designs) stars were money.. quite literally. They flew great but they also fetch a high price. To me they were similar to Star teebirds, in that they are slightly less stable and stay straighter for longer than the champ version.