• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Idk the first run (bird stamps, two different designs) stars were money.. quite literally. They flew great but they also fetch a high price. To me they were similar to Star teebirds, in that they are slightly less stable and stay straighter for longer than the champ version.

They don't sell for as high as they used to unless they have a lot of swirl in them. I have one used and three never thrown and can't get much for them because of that.

How stable are the stock star stamped thunderbirds in comparison to the champ runs?

I have only thrown the early run stock stamp stars, the really firm and flat runs. They were really quite overstable, more so than the champions.

Agreed. I've only tried the early Star run, and I have a McBeth 3x Champ ThBird. The Champ flies really nice, and the Star is much more OS. See below.

I recently picked up some 2018 Sexton Firebirds. I still think they fly pretty similar to my max weight champ Thunderbirds. The Sextons might be a little better handling wobble and OAT.

I'm wondering if those early Star Thunderbirds would have really been comparable to current Sextons.

My early Star ThBird is very comparable to my 2017 Sextons. My Star ThBird has just a bit more glide, which helps me, but other than that they are similar.

Still want to know about the Xmas Snowflake Champ Thunderbirds..
Thunderbird-Luster-Green__42275.1481643376.1280.1280.JPG

So this has been brought up a few times but maybe they aren't as popular as one might expect - can someone comment on the wear cycle of the DX thunderbirds? I understand early runs were quite stable.

I used to cycle DX teebirds and like the idea of a similar flight with more distance on lower lines.

Still want to know about the Xmas Snowflake Champ Thunderbirds..
Thunderbird-Luster-Green__42275.1481643376.1280.1280.JPG

I didn't think the flight was much different then any other champion Thunderbird. My current champ Thunderbirds are all seasoned so I could be off a little.
I do like the feel of the snowflake Thunderbird plastic, it is a little stiffer but still has good grip.

I didn't think the flight was much different then any other champion Thunderbird. My current champ Thunderbirds are all seasoned so I could be off a little.
I do like the feel of the snowflake Thunderbird plastic, it is a little stiffer but still has good grip.

Yeah the plastic feels good. Theres a nice pair at a local shop. Champ Thunderbirds are pretty consistent but I'm looking for the overstable variety. The last few regular stamps I got were not as overstable as I wanted.

I'll check and see if i have any fresh champ Thunderbird to compare the plh to a fresh snowflake Thunderbird.

Are stars still coming out pretty beefy and how about shimmer stars? Are those any different than the normal stars? Just not a fan of champion plastic.

Any update on how the 2018 big jerm thunderbirds are flying? And does anyone have any experience with metal flakes? I saw mcbeth said that his metal flake thunderbird was "a firebird with more glide". Has anyone found any truth to this?

I have a couple of early MF and they are exactly the same as champs. Maybe the new ones are different.

So this has been brought up a few times but maybe they aren't as popular as one might expect - can someone comment on the wear cycle of the DX thunderbirds? I understand early runs were quite stable.

I used to cycle DX teebirds and like the idea of a similar flight with more distance on lower lines.

I have a small stack from that first run. They are super flat and stiff.

I'll don't exactly cycle them. It's more of my go to disc on any risky shot, so they take a beating. I was surprised how long it took to season one.

IMO. at least the first runs I got are the top of the tops for DX cyclers. They outlast Firebirds, Destroyers, and Teebirds by a mile. Everybody I talked to was gaga over the DX blend these came out in. Grippy and pretty tough as well. My original DX Tunderbird just got flippy after 2 years of steady use and abuse and ended up in a lake. Haven't tried the newest blend, but the first run of DX Thunderbirds was magical. Have a couple more in the stash luckily.

Any update on how the 2018 big jerm thunderbirds are flying? And does anyone have any experience with metal flakes? I saw mcbeth said that his metal flake thunderbird was "a firebird with more glide". Has anyone found any truth to this?

I have come to realize that no one is actually throwing them.

I have a small stack of the original DX Thunderbirds, weight range from 165 - 168, I'll let go for cost ($8.50) plus shipping.

I got a couple big birds in today and I can see why people aren't throwing them. Both of mine are SUPER domey to the point where I don't even want to throw them. They are also both like goose **** green so they would be really hard to find even if I did. Sad customer here.

I got a couple big birds in today and I can see why people aren't throwing them. Both of mine are SUPER domey to the point where I don't even want to throw them. They are also both like goose **** green so they would be really hard to find even if I did. Sad customer here.

They are definitely going in my bag, fo sho. They have *serious* glide and into a moderate (~10mph) headwind, only a slight turn when thrown flat. Loving them.

I need some big jerm thunderbirds. Will definitely take anybody's who does not want theirs (for trade). And has anybody who's thrown them like how they fly. And I don't hate some dome

The newer star thunderbirds are really nice. Much more workable and fly how you think they should. They are considerably softer and have a little dome to them. Highly recommended to anyone who likes how the champ thunderbirds flies, but prefers star plastic.