• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Thundervant left happy holidays thunderbird that has been used two rounds on the right. The Thundervant is jolly launcher and has new tooling for a thunderbird. The thundervant has a very high parting line.

the what? :confused:

Yeah, it seems like a smart business move. Take a mistake and turn it into something fun and unique. I throw Getaways instead of Thundies, but if I did throw Thundies I probably would pick one up.

Yeah, it seems like a smart business move. Take a mistake and turn it into something fun and unique. I throw Getaways instead of Thundies, but if I did throw Thundies I probably would pick one up.
I honestly doubt it was a "mistake". They didn't accidentally misprint a bunch of Star and Champion ones. If it happened to one type of plastic I may believe it, but 2 plastics? Slim chance it's an accident.

I honestly doubt it was a "mistake". They didn't accidentally misprint a bunch of Star and Champion ones. If it happened to one type of plastic I may believe it, but 2 plastics? Slim chance it's an accident.

While I like the cynical thinking on this, it probably was an accident. Whoever was doing the stamping probably was told the discs in both plastics were Savants by someone who thought they were. Then after the stamping was done someone said "Wait! Those were Thunderbirds!" and it went on from there...

While I like the cynical thinking on this, it probably was an accident. Whoever was doing the stamping probably was told the discs in both plastics were Savants by someone who thought they were. Then after the stamping was done someone said "Wait! Those were Thunderbirds!" and it went on from there...

Well, Innova does emboss the name of the mold on the disc now. Not really an excuse for an "accident" of putting the wrong stamp on all those discs.

Honestly, Innova should just stop making the Savant. It was redundant the day it came out.

Well, Innova does emboss the name of the mold on the disc now. Not really an excuse for an "accident" of putting the wrong stamp on all those discs.

I seriously doubt they look on the underside of each disc in the stack that's sitting there waiting to be stamped. Somebody was told wrong, and acted on what he/she was told.

There's no reason to do that to Thunderbirds... they sell well enough. I could see it if it were the other way, misstamping Savants then selling them as 'corrected' to move the inventory out...

It's crazy people buy those. Maybe if you're super into one brand & you don't care what it is as long as it comes from that particular company?
Part of the fun for me is experimenting; I love figuring out what a new disc can or cannot do. I don't do tournaments so I don't really care to see how low of a score I can get. I'm out there for fun and trying random new discs scratches that itch.

Other people might have different reasons, but that's why I have bought them in the past. I haven't bought any mystery boxes for a few years because I keep getting new discs every time I design a stamp. Also my library is so large that I sometimes forget how older discs perform. I can just check a disc out of the library and it's just like trying the new disc!

Re: Thunderbirds... I like a DX/Pro/Champ setup because the various stages of wear can cover most stabilities and distances. Pro Thundies are very long and controllable. This is a fantastic mold!

Last edited:
I'm glad they're not using bright colors for the Thunderbird so now I don't have to spend money. Thinking about getting some yellow & orange Halo Valkyries though.

I probably wouldn't throw them but the black Halo and gold Halo Thunderbirds in the Pro Shop thumbnails look sick

I guess the blacks were sold out by the time I got there. Frustrating.
I really dig the gold, but it's kind of the color of pine needles, which is less than ideal. I'd end up dying the white part of the disc to make it more findable. The all gold shimmer stars are beautiful, but tough finds unless you're on a perfectly green course.
If I see a black out there, I'll pay for it.

I guess the blacks were sold out by the time I got there. Frustrating.
I really dig the gold, but it's kind of the color of pine needles, which is less than ideal. I'd end up dying the white part of the disc to make it more findable. The all gold shimmer stars are beautiful, but tough finds unless you're on a perfectly green course.
If I see a black out there, I'll pay for it.

As a coniferous woods/sometimes open player I wouldn't use gold Shimmer Star ever. Had a Legend Legacy Cannon of a very similar hue and, well, HAD it. Long gone.

Inova likes to lie about inventory, definitely check back on the Halos in case they restock black! Just because there aren't any listed now doesnt mean there won't be in a day/hour/week

Latest posts