• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Anu way if knowing if Im getting one of these "newer" Thundies or just buying old stock? (other than buying one and finding out its a beefcake)
I really wanna up my stock and begin working a few in.

Posted this already, but the only identifiers I have for the more neutral flying ones are a softer plastic, the overstable ones were rather stiff, and they have a little dome instead of being board flat like the beefy ones. The Koling ones and the mini stamp have both been the straighter variety for me. I also have gotten 2 x-outs from dgu that were nice, but I have not attempted to get any with a stock stamp yet.

Posted this already, but the only identifiers I have for the more neutral flying ones are a softer plastic, the overstable ones were rather stiff, and they have a little dome instead of being board flat like the beefy ones. The Koling ones and the mini stamp have both been the straighter variety for me. I also have gotten 2 x-outs from dgu that were nice, but I have not attempted to get any with a stock stamp yet.

Sorry I didn't see it I guess. Thank you. The beefy ones are much too hard for me to throw and get to do anything for me.

166g Pro Thunderbird is exactly what I was looking for, the thing bombs and has enough fade to be reliable in lighter wind right now. It's flies like a Pro Valkyrie with just more bite at the end. I'm definitely going to get another Pro and then a Star or two to be my more OS fliers.

Would you say a Thunderbird or an OLF would be better in a moderate headwind?

Of all the discs with the Firebird wing I know the Firebird and PD fight the wind better.

But if you had only the OLF or the Thunderbird to fight a moderate headwind which would you throw and in which plastic?

FYI I posted the same question in the OLF thread.

I briefly had a QOLF that was at least as beefy as a couple seasoned Star Firebirds I used to throw. Definitely more beef than the one Star Thunderbird I currently have- which is about equal to the SPD's I've owned.

So it's sounding like the newer run Star thundies may be a bit more tame than the old, stiff star beefcakes that were molding up. Seriously, the one I had a year or so ago was almost a firebird.

I have a couple 3x champ thundies in the bag right now and I'm loving them. One is beat and will flip ever so slightly and finish straight, the fresh(ish) one is a frozen rope with a bit of fade. The champ plastic is real nice too, kinda gummy. I wanna stock up on these but also would be open to trying a newer star run if they're showing similar flight characteristics to the 3x champs I'm throwing.

Can anyone compare the newer star thundies to a nice dead straight to fade champ?

I've bagged a champ McBeast thunderbird since last year, perfect straight stable flight with decent glide & moderate reliable fade. Just ordered a Koling star version, curious to see if it's more OS out of the box. And now reading this thread I want a pro too. :\

166g Pro Thunderbird is exactly what I was looking for, the thing bombs and has enough fade to be reliable in lighter wind right now. It's flies like a Pro Valkyrie with just more bite at the end. I'm definitely going to get another Pro and then a Star or two to be my more OS fliers.

Seeing how much I love Pro Valks this sounds like a solid endorsement. Snagged myself a couple Pro Thunderbirds in that 168-170 range and already liking what I am seeing. :thmbup:

If anyone is looking for an extremely beefy Thunderbird, check out the Madison Walker tour series ones. I bought two, and they are both very overstable. Like semi-seasoned firebirds, but a little faster/longer.

I've got a 166g flat Star that I'm ready to break in. Trying to move away from Pro because they season a little too quickly but they are still awesome.

I rarely carry my Wraiths now with my Thunderbird/Valkyrie combo.

How does the Pro compare to the GStar? I find the GStar to be way less overstable than Champion, but I haven't thrown a Pro.

How does the Pro compare to the GStar? I find the GStar to be way less overstable than Champion, but I haven't thrown a Pro.

My experience with Pro Thunderbirds:

Starts out as typical straight to fade, pretty much the same as an average Champ when new but that new gets knocked off quickly. Gradually, but relatively quickly shows some turn. Eventually becomes more like a Valkyrie. On a 350' throw, will have some turn out to about 300' and then a glidey mellow finish for the last 50' or so. Good disc to cycle in that it changes at a good pace; comparable in cycle time to DX Rocs IMO.

I was at the local pias Tuesday and they had some pro thundys in that awesome new gummy pro blend. I held off but have a feeling I'll be back to snag them.

Anyone know how the mini series star thundys fly compared to the regular star and champion runs?

I just got a 164g mini logo star in the mail today. Got it out for some throws and it flew as expected. OS like all my heavier Star Thunderbirds but it had some give right away because of the lighter weight. It had a little more dome than my other Stars but I wouldn't call it a full-on pop top.. I'm looking forward to beating it up so I can get some easier distance out of it.

That mini logo is really good. I'd like to see Innova put it on some hats/shirts or use it more. Thunderbird is one of their bigger selling drivers so it would make sense.

My experience with Pro Thunderbirds:

Starts out as typical straight to fade, pretty much the same as an average Champ when new but that new gets knocked off quickly. Gradually, but relatively quickly shows some turn. Eventually becomes more like a Valkyrie. On a 350' throw, will have some turn out to about 300' and then a glidey mellow finish for the last 50' or so. Good disc to cycle in that it changes at a good pace; comparable in cycle time to DX Rocs IMO.

Does it hold that Valk like flight for a while?

I loved my star Valkyrie when I had it in the perfect place, loved to flex but had strong bite back... kinda like the numbers suggest. But it started out Teebird stable and it only stayed in the sweet spot briefly, quickly became a turnover disc.
I now have a champ Valkyrie to beat I'm hoping, it has a better life cycle. But maybe this pro thunderbird is a better solution