• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks and permethrin

I dunno how dangerous chiggers are in terms of carrying diseases, but they got me at Ozark Mtn, and it was almost as bad as poison ivy.

I know every species has it's place in nature, but bugs are a royal PIA.

I dunno how dangerous chiggers are in terms of carrying diseases, but they got me at Ozark Mtn, and it was almost as bad as poison ivy.

I know every species has it's place in nature, but bugs are a royal PIA.

No diseases (that I know of)...just the worst itch ever (I'd personally gladly take some poison ivy over chigger bites).

No diseases (that I know of)...just the worst itch ever (I'd personally gladly take some poison ivy over chigger bites).

Urushiol being a trigger for an allergic reaction, some people have stronger reactions to Ivy than other people. Same might be true with chiggers for all I know. Maybe it's just me, but I can say my chigger exeprience wasn't as bad as most of my ivy encounters.

I hate, Hate, HATE!!!! that mother**cking plant.

But let's keep this thread on the topic of ticks.

Clear nail polish works on chiggers.Washes off in a couple of days

FALSE! Nail polish only stops the itching for a minute or two.

What I hate most about chiggers is they are bothersome for at least two weeks, with or without nail polish. Poison Ivy goes away in a few days. Mosquito bites only itch for a day or two. Chiggers just keep on itching night and day for weeks and just when you think it has scabbed over and is done....it starts up again and I itch again and I get bloody again and they leave lifetime scars.

Don't get me started about Poison Oak, which may very well be as bad as chiggers for long lasting itching and scarring.

I HATE CHIGGERS!!!!

Back on topic.

I ALSO HATE TICKS!!

Bought some yesterday, going to spray my bag and shoes, does this stuff discolor your clothes at all?

Bought some yesterday, going to spray my bag and shoes, does this stuff discolor your clothes at all?

It could. I think the product recommendations is to try it on an inconspicuous part of the garment to ensure colorfast durability.

FALSE! Nail polish only stops the itching for a minute or two.

What I hate most about chiggers is they are bothersome for at least two weeks, with or without nail polish. Poison Ivy goes away in a few days. Mosquito bites only itch for a day or two. Chiggers just keep on itching night and day for weeks and just when you think it has scabbed over and is done....it starts up again and I itch again and I get bloody again and they leave lifetime scars.

Don't get me started about Poison Oak, which may very well be as bad as chiggers for long lasting itching and scarring.

I HATE CHIGGERS!!!!

Back on topic.

I ALSO HATE TICKS!!
Please point me toward this poison ivy that only itches for a few days! I'd like to bring it here to choke out all of the stuff that hits me for weeks on end!

Please point me toward this poison ivy that only itches for a few days! I'd like to bring it here to choke out all of the stuff that hits me for weeks on end!

Maybe the Poison Oak bothers me more than Poison Ivy. I have had both many times and the Poison Oak takes a week to hit and then two weeks to go away. Poison Ivy shows up tomorrow and runs its course quickly.

It is interesting to see how these plants affect different people differently. I used to play with a lady that had to be completely covered and wear a face mask whenever she was around poison ivy.

Maybe the Poison Oak bothers me more than Poison Ivy. I have had both many times and the Poison Oak takes a week to hit and then two weeks to go away. Poison Ivy shows up tomorrow and runs its course quickly.

It is interesting to see how these plants affect different people differently. I used to play with a lady that had to be completely covered and wear a face mask whenever she was around poison ivy.
I used to be completely immune. I didn't get poison ivy one time in my first 2-3 years of play. And then I went down out of town, I think to Columbus or Norwalk, and rolled around in some getting some discs and suddenly - I'm allergic to poison ivy. I don't know what it was about that out of town PI that suddenly activated my sensitivity but hollly crap it kills me now. I've definitely had a few periods where I got it on my waistband and needed to resort to steroids because it just spread all the way around my torso. Its almost two weeks of itching for me.

I used to be completely immune. I didn't get poison ivy one time in my first 2-3 years of play. And then I went down out of town, I think to Columbus or Norwalk, and rolled around in some getting some discs and suddenly - I'm allergic to poison ivy. I don't know what it was about that out of town PI that suddenly activated my sensitivity but hollly crap it kills me now. I've definitely had a few periods where I got it on my waistband and needed to resort to steroids because it just spread all the way around my torso. Its almost two weeks of itching for me.

From the reading I've been doing, nobody is really immune. Even if you don't show symptoms you can become allergic through continued exposure. This is part of the reason I still try my best to avoid contact with poison ivy/oak even though I'm not currently allergic to it either.

From the reading I've been doing, nobody is really immune. Even if you don't show symptoms you can become allergic through continued exposure. This is part of the reason I still try my best to avoid contact with poison ivy/oak even though I'm not currently allergic to it either.
Immune wasn't the correct word, medically. But - it was the effective effect at the time - so I used it colloquially. I would walk right into it to grab other peoples' discs and did so for years... until I couldn't anymore.

In my experience, no problems with permethrin staining/discoloring clothes, fwiw.

Chigger bites are worst first time around when you don't know what it is and you scratch them....six weeks of agony. Don't scratch and it's only a week or two of agony.

DEET kills chiggers on contact, not certain if permethrin does...which may be another good reason (along with mosquitoes) to double up.

Like Juke, I've had no issues with permetherin discoloring my clothes.
But as ru4por stated: the directions say to spot test an inconspicuous area first.
Some materials/dyes may be more susceptible than others.

Clear nail polish isn't supposed to work for chiggers but IME it's really the best thing I've found for it. I think keeping the bite from exposure to air greatly reduces the itch factor maybe.

I've read that spraying DEET and sunscreen on your skin together is very bad for you.

I've also read that nobody is really immune to poison ivy and your tolerance will decrease with increased exposure. But I'm that guy that can walk through it all day and get hardly rash which is weird b/c when I was a kid I basically rolled in the crap while playing with a kickball and got lit up. Why my tolerance is better now is anybody's guess. I do know that it makes a big difference with time of day/season etc b/c PI isn't laden with urushiol all the time. Poison Oak and Sumac will still light me up big time though. Stupid plants.

I haven't had any issues with permethrin discoloring clothes but I usually just spray it on work jeans and cotton t-shirts.

Sunscreen is a government conspiracy to prevent us from getting enough vitamin D... :| :| :|

Jukeshoe: <----[Confused as to which thread this he's in]

So another tip I can give I learned the hard way yesterday. Make sure your shirt is tucked in. Why? I was scoping out some new holes through some fairly wooded parts of a park and I felt something on my lower back. Yup it was a deer tick. Even though I was fully covered up, because my shirt was not tucked in, one those of little f*****rs had made its way onto my back. Fortunately, no bite. But to make sure there weren't any others, I bought a hand mirror and then stood in front of a bathroom mirror to do a final check. When did being outdoors become so dangerous? :)

I grew up on a farm and in the woods but never had poison ivy until I was 28. At that point i got fairly highly allergic for 6-7 years. Since then I have remained mildly allergic but nowhere near as bad.