• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks!

Thanks everyone for the great tips in here, keep em coming.

I went to Perry Lake DGC in KS with some buddies over the holiday weekend, and we couldn't hack it because the ticks were eating us alive. They were tiny and everywhere! deer ticks!

Last few years of discing I've learned a lot about chiggers...this year I have a feeling it'll be ticks that challenge me so I'm getting educated. I wanna have it figured out so these ticks don't ruin anymore fun.

Thanks everyone for the great tips in here, keep em coming.

I went to Perry Lake DGC in KS with some buddies over the holiday weekend, and we couldn't hack it because the ticks were eating us alive. They were tiny and everywhere! deer ticks!

Last few years of discing I've learned a lot about chiggers...this year I have a feeling it'll be ticks that challenge me so I'm getting educated. I wanna have it figured out so these ticks don't ruin anymore fun.

/\/\/\/\ That course is amazing but the ticks were unbelievable!!! Made it 5 holes through until we said no more. They were literally on nearly every grass blade waiting for a ride. Just think of 'Arachnophobia' only with TICKS!!

/\/\/\/\ That course is amazing but the ticks were unbelievable!!! Made it 5 holes through until we said no more. They were literally on nearly every grass blade waiting for a ride. Just think of 'Arachnophobia' only with TICKS!!

BTW. We had 100% Deet and it seemed not to do a thing. There might have just been too many of them for it to matter.

Permethrin is the only thing that I've found that works to repel ticks. Ticks don't care about deet. You just don't want to mix permethrin and deet much, so you gotta figure out another way of dealing with mosquitoes.

That is a lot of ticks though...

Was groundskeeper at Four Mounds/LCO in Spokane this weekend. Found a tick embedded on my collarbone one morning. Gave the other groundskeeper some tweezers to pull it out. Damn tick ripped a chunk of skin out the width of a pencil eraser. Still hurts today...

I'm no doctor but I have been told that disease is transmitted after they are done feeding when they actually barf into you to help them let go. I was told that if you suffocate them with alcohol or whatever they puke into you (the spazzing you noticed was probably him puking into you). I used to keep hand sanitizer with me to do the same but was told by a doc not to. He said pulling it out with tweezers or a tick key was the only safe way to go. So i replaced the hand sanitizer with a tick key in my bag. If you do leave a bit of the head in your skin you risk a general infection but not lyme (unless he already got you).

The CDC agrees with you and your doctor. I have always just used tweezers and then cleaned the area.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

One of the easiest ways to keep ticks from climbing up your leg from your shoe is to wear thick work style socks.

Like Fruit of the Loom "Work Gear"

0004282543260_Color_WHITE_SW_180X180.jpg

Get the ones that go mid-calf and fold down the sock so the fluffy cotton is on the outside. Ticks that climb up your shoe get tangled in the cotton and can't go any further.

It's just one thing I do. I also use Off's Deep Woods. I also put a tick collar on my DG bag to try and keep ticks from getting on my gear.

I'm no doctor but I have been told that disease is transmitted after they are done feeding when they actually barf into you to help them let go. I was told that if you suffocate them with alcohol or whatever they puke into you (the spazzing you noticed was probably him puking into you). I used to keep hand sanitizer with me to do the same but was told by a doc not to. He said pulling it out with tweezers or a tick key was the only safe way to go. So i replaced the hand sanitizer with a tick key in my bag. If you do leave a bit of the head in your skin you risk a general infection but not lyme (unless he already got you).

Absolutely correct.
Tweezers have always worked the best for me, but they have to be solid. Cheap tweezers just don't work. Nothing like pulling the tick and having it squirm out of the tweezer and start crawling up twards your hand... On the other hand, a brand new razor blade will also get them out with minimal pain. Sterilized of course.

Was groundskeeper at Four Mounds/LCO in Spokane this weekend. Found a tick embedded on my collarbone one morning. Gave the other groundskeeper some tweezers to pull it out. Damn tick ripped a chunk of skin out the width of a pencil eraser. Still hurts today...

Way back when my brother went to see a doc about a tick he had, he was told when using tweezers to pull lightly, and just wait for them to become tired and let go. That way you don't risk ripping their head off or in your case skin.

Last summer I had one on my butt! Had to have my wife get the tweezers out.

On a side note, I've only heard of tweezers to remove them. Once they're out, give them some flames...that's fun. :D

The other night I woke up at about 4 in the morning to head to the bathroom. I felt something on the side of my hip and picked at it. I didn't have my glasses on so I held it up to my face. Of course, it's a tick just crawling around.

This past weekend we had a super nice Saturday and a really rainy Sunday. I found three ticks crawling on me while playing on Sunday which were probably from playing on Saturday. (I had shorts on Saturday and we played a full 36 holes, all long pin) For some reason, they don't bite me!

Last summer I had one on my butt! Had to have my wife get the tweezers out.

On a side note, I've only heard of tweezers to remove them. Once they're out, give them some flames...that's fun. :D

Been there. 'Hey dude can you give me a hand with this?' 'No dude, you're gonna die.'

Seriously awkward...... :D

This thread makes me itch and feel icky. Played at Eisenhower state park last weekend and everyone got 5-12 deer ticks on them. Small ones too. I did rip one out I found late that night. I'll take more precautions but a friend who was doing a new roof in the country ripped one out of his leg now has a nasty rash. We tried to tell him to see a doctor but he won't.

This thread makes me itch and feel icky. Played at Eisenhower state park last weekend and everyone got 5-12 deer ticks on them. Small ones too. I did rip one out I found late that night. I'll take more precautions but a friend who was doing a new roof in the country ripped one out of his leg now has a nasty rash. We tried to tell him to see a doctor but he won't.

If it looks like a target then that's lyme disease and he's going to hate himself for not getting checked out. By target I mean red in the center with it becoming pale then another thin red outline.

If it looks like a target then that's lyme disease and he's going to hate himself for not getting checked out. By target I mean red in the center with it becoming pale then another thin red outline.

He was over here today helping me cut down a giant tree bush. I asked him about it but didn't have that target rash. Just small bite marks that are slow healing. He said he's fine but if they get worse or don't heal soon he's going to get them checked out.

This is some good info I found.

Rose Geranium essential oil
I dug deep in my herbal formula for this recipe out of desperation, given that I live in the epicenter of the tick-generated Lyme disease epidemic. I tested the essential oil that is recommended for ticks, Rose Geranium, by putting a few drops no more! on our dogs' collars, to see if it would repel ticks. Lo and behold, we went from 20 ticks a day on each dog, to none.

Two tablespoons of vegetable or nut oil almond oil contains sulfur, a repellent in its own right. 10 to 25 drops of Rose Geranium essential oil. Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; shake to blend. Makes 2 tablespoons. Shelf life: six months. Dab a few drops on skin or clothing, making sure to avoid eyes.

Palmerosa is a sister essential oil to Rose Geranium, and it also repels ticks. It is cheaper, and sometimes easier to find, than Rose Geranium. Another good repellent that also worked on our dogs is feeding them garlic pills on a daily basis.

Vanilla
One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which is mostly alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It's cheap there if you know of someone that lives there or in the US close to the border. If not, health food stores usually carry it or can order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it works great for mosquitoes (mosquito repellent) and ticks (tick repellent), don't know about other insects. It's nice that you don't smell like a chemical plant but a cookie! I cannot use chemical insecticides, so I love the way this works and I hope you and your kids will also.

Citrus
Citrus scents also ward off ticks, and a citrus tick repellent can be easily made for just a few dollars. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then add a few sliced citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits–any combination will do). Let boil for one minute, then simmer on low heat for an hour. Take out the sliced fruits, and pour the remaining mixture through a strainer. Pour into a spray bottle, and spray directly onto clothing, pets and lawn. The acidic scent of citrus fruits work to repel both ticks (tick repellent) and fleas (fleas repellent), keeping your family free of these blood-sucking insects.

Peppermint
Peppermint also natural tick repellent and flea repellent, and a spray-on repellent can be made for just a few dollars. In a spray bottle, add 2 cups water and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil. Spray onto clothing, pets and around the lawn to keep ticks and fleas at bay. Alternately, crush a few peppermints and sprinkle throughout the lawn, or brew a pot of peppermint tea, strain into a spray bottle and use this as a spray-on repellent as well.

This is a little different from eHow.
Peppermint Spray
Make a non-toxic spray at home using peppermint. Combine two cups water and 15 drops peppermint essential oil and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray the solution around the yard once a week and it will suffocate and kill the ticks and also prevent future tick invasion.

Cinnamon Spray
Alternatively, make a mixture of one oz. cinnamon oil and half gallon horticultural oil. Coat the lawn completely with the spray. The cinnamon oil contains cinnamaldehyde, anethole and eugenol that are eco-friendly and effective in getting rid of ticks.

Neem Spray
A natural method to kill ticks in the lawn is by using neem oil. Neem oil is used by many brands for preparing pesticides and insecticides and neem plants are available at health, organic or ethnic stores. The oil extracted from neem has the ability to kill ticks in all its life stages. To prepare a natural neem spray for the lawn, extract neem oil from the neem leaves. Mix few drops of oil with a gallon of water in a spray bottle. Coat the lawn with this spray to destroy eggs and adult ticks.

Essential Oils
A combination of essential oils serves as a natural tick repellant. Essential oils extracted from lily, citronella and clove have a strong aromatic scent that can help get rid of ticks. Prepare a solution by adding a few drops of clove, lily and citronella essential oils to a cup half filled with water. Fill this solution into a spray bottle and spray the solution directly on the lawn. Spray the solution, five days a week for four weeks until all the ticks disappear. The strong smell of the essential oils kills the ticks and their eggs and prevents further infestation.

Commercial Insecticides and Pesticides
Insecticides and pesticides offer an effective way to kill ticks in the lawn. Before treating the lawns with insecticide, mow the lawn to three inches in height and remove all unnecessary weeds, litter, grass and undergrowth. Insecticides and pesticides come in both liquid and granular form. As per the SMDC website (smdc.army.mil), granular pesticides are good for tick eggs or young ticks that hide in lawns, while liquid pesticides are best for adult ticks that are crawling in the open.

Yardsafe
Yardsafe is a popular tick killing product by Greenlight that is most effective against ticks. It contains cedar oil, which is safe to use around plants, lawns and pets. Yardsafe also enriches the microbial activity in the soil and thereby increases the life of the plant. It comes in a 32-oz. concentrated pack that is sufficient to treat 4,000 square feet of the yard

This is some good info I found.

Rose Geranium essential oil
I dug deep in my herbal formula for this recipe out of desperation, given that I live in the epicenter of the tick-generated Lyme disease epidemic. I tested the essential oil that is recommended for ticks, Rose Geranium, by putting a few drops no more! on our dogs' collars, to see if it would repel ticks. Lo and behold, we went from 20 ticks a day on each dog, to none.

Two tablespoons of vegetable or nut oil almond oil contains sulfur, a repellent in its own right. 10 to 25 drops of Rose Geranium essential oil. Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; shake to blend. Makes 2 tablespoons. Shelf life: six months. Dab a few drops on skin or clothing, making sure to avoid eyes.

Palmerosa is a sister essential oil to Rose Geranium, and it also repels ticks. It is cheaper, and sometimes easier to find, than Rose Geranium. Another good repellent that also worked on our dogs is feeding them garlic pills on a daily basis.

Vanilla
One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which is mostly alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It's cheap there if you know of someone that lives there or in the US close to the border. If not, health food stores usually carry it or can order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it works great for mosquitoes (mosquito repellent) and ticks (tick repellent), don't know about other insects. It's nice that you don't smell like a chemical plant but a cookie! I cannot use chemical insecticides, so I love the way this works and I hope you and your kids will also.

Citrus
Citrus scents also ward off ticks, and a citrus tick repellent can be easily made for just a few dollars. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then add a few sliced citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits–any combination will do). Let boil for one minute, then simmer on low heat for an hour. Take out the sliced fruits, and pour the remaining mixture through a strainer. Pour into a spray bottle, and spray directly onto clothing, pets and lawn. The acidic scent of citrus fruits work to repel both ticks (tick repellent) and fleas (fleas repellent), keeping your family free of these blood-sucking insects.

Peppermint
Peppermint also natural tick repellent and flea repellent, and a spray-on repellent can be made for just a few dollars. In a spray bottle, add 2 cups water and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil. Spray onto clothing, pets and around the lawn to keep ticks and fleas at bay. Alternately, crush a few peppermints and sprinkle throughout the lawn, or brew a pot of peppermint tea, strain into a spray bottle and use this as a spray-on repellent as well.

This is a little different from eHow.
Peppermint Spray
Make a non-toxic spray at home using peppermint. Combine two cups water and 15 drops peppermint essential oil and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray the solution around the yard once a week and it will suffocate and kill the ticks and also prevent future tick invasion.

Cinnamon Spray
Alternatively, make a mixture of one oz. cinnamon oil and half gallon horticultural oil. Coat the lawn completely with the spray. The cinnamon oil contains cinnamaldehyde, anethole and eugenol that are eco-friendly and effective in getting rid of ticks.

Neem Spray
A natural method to kill ticks in the lawn is by using neem oil. Neem oil is used by many brands for preparing pesticides and insecticides and neem plants are available at health, organic or ethnic stores. The oil extracted from neem has the ability to kill ticks in all its life stages. To prepare a natural neem spray for the lawn, extract neem oil from the neem leaves. Mix few drops of oil with a gallon of water in a spray bottle. Coat the lawn with this spray to destroy eggs and adult ticks.

Essential Oils
A combination of essential oils serves as a natural tick repellant. Essential oils extracted from lily, citronella and clove have a strong aromatic scent that can help get rid of ticks. Prepare a solution by adding a few drops of clove, lily and citronella essential oils to a cup half filled with water. Fill this solution into a spray bottle and spray the solution directly on the lawn. Spray the solution, five days a week for four weeks until all the ticks disappear. The strong smell of the essential oils kills the ticks and their eggs and prevents further infestation.

Commercial Insecticides and Pesticides
Insecticides and pesticides offer an effective way to kill ticks in the lawn. Before treating the lawns with insecticide, mow the lawn to three inches in height and remove all unnecessary weeds, litter, grass and undergrowth. Insecticides and pesticides come in both liquid and granular form. As per the SMDC website (smdc.army.mil), granular pesticides are good for tick eggs or young ticks that hide in lawns, while liquid pesticides are best for adult ticks that are crawling in the open.

Yardsafe
Yardsafe is a popular tick killing product by Greenlight that is most effective against ticks. It contains cedar oil, which is safe to use around plants, lawns and pets. Yardsafe also enriches the microbial activity in the soil and thereby increases the life of the plant. It comes in a 32-oz. concentrated pack that is sufficient to treat 4,000 square feet of the yard

"Cannot use chemical insecticides"

geranium oil = chemicals
vanilla = chemicals
citrus oil = chemicals
peppermint oil = chemicals
neem oil = chemicals
cinnamon oil = chemicals
cedar oil = chemicals

No matter how "natural" or "essential" or "eco-friendly" the claims might be about these chemicals, they are indeed chemicals. And usually they have not been tested for safety in the form in which they are sold, nor tested for safety in the use that may be advertised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/health/16diet.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=herbal-supplement-dangers

Just sayin

Latest posts