• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks!

a hippie gave me some magical concoction made from essential oils once, that **** was amazing and it smelled nice and didn't give me cancer. everybody who put it on had no ticks while everybody else in our camp was covered and they used DEET.

I believe ticks have to be on you for a day or so to be at risk for lyme's.

That being said, it is very likely that you got AIDS.

Hopped in the shower last week after a round and one of those annoying buggers popped off of me. Luckily it was not engorged yet. Did some research. Here, there is little chance of Lyme disease or RMSF, but a disease called STARI is in the area. The carrier of this disease is the Lone Star Tick, and that was the species that hitched a ride on me.

Glad I got it off before it bit!

I have definitely started the immediate post round shower as a routine.

Yeah, I've been doing the same after rounds since the start of this season. Though more so because I don't like feeling gross from sweating through the round, but always check for ticks before I hop in.

a hippie gave me some magical concoction made from essential oils once, that **** was amazing and it smelled nice and didn't give me cancer. everybody who put it on had no ticks while everybody else in our camp was covered and they used DEET.

Did a quick google search, do you know if it's this stuff?
http://drmomessentials.com/naturally-repel-mosquitoes-and-ticks-doterra-essential-oils/

TerraShield_15ml-e1281387896745-142x300.jpg

I made a concoction of 2 parts distilled white vinegar and 1 part water, and then dropped some champa flower essential oil into it. I smell like a hippy coloring Easter eggs, but it works!

Yeah, I've been doing the same after rounds since the start of this season. Though more so because I don't like feeling gross from sweating through the round, but always check for ticks before I hop in.

Haha. Yeah, the shower is also nice for the smell and grossness factor. In the winter I will sometimes go do other outdoor stuff before I shower though. After a few more hitchhikers this year though, its straight into the water for me.

My lady just pulled one off the back of my shoulder/armpit area. Deer tick too.

Picked it up during doubles league at BEP. Lucky we found it. Burned the sucker.

they r very bad this year. ive had three crawling around on me i usually feel them before they find a good spot.

anyone else feel all itchy after reading this thread.

i got lyme disease last year from playing and ill tell you what that was the worst 2 weeks of my life. thank god i was able to have it treated and the drs said i should be fine..this year ive allready pulled over 10 off me ..i HATE ticks..and after reading this thread im itching all over lol

I've been lucky and only one has ever bit me. Out here in Norcal they're around but not as prevalent as in other places.

**I can highly vouch for another method besides vaseline which worked faster. The one that bit me was probably a hour in when I found him on my shoulder. When my wife saw it she went to her make up bag and came back with clear nail polish. She took a dollop, enough to encase the tick, and plopped it on him. He immediately spazzed out flexing his body and withdrew from my skin within 30 seconds. I think it's a combination of suffocating him and the alcohol or chemicals in the polish.

I would highly recommend these methods over "cutting out", "ripping out", or any other methods that risk leaving even a little part of that god forsaken creature in us. My buddy caught lime disease from a tick and it was no joke! He was partially paralyzed and lost a ton of weight. Get those little bastards out of you as fast as possible and in one piece.

Disc On!

I've already, after finding zero last year, found a dozen on myself and my dog in the last week. I looked my dog over several times a day last week (very short coat even), but they still seem to sneak onto him. Luckily only one has settled in on my mutt, and it was removed without any real struggle so it probably had just sat down for a meal. I try to always wear a hat and check myself and mutt over before getting in the car. If they're as bad as they have been so far, I'm not looking too forward to wooded courses this year.

This may be total BS, but does anyone know if being a cigarette smoker helps w/r/t ticks? Or skeeters for that matter?

I almost never get ticks on me, and I'm in their territory often. Ditto mosquitos. I played near the coast this weekend, and the mosquitos were everywhere, the black and white tiger-striped SOBs, but I didn't get a single bite. And I smoke butts.

The reason I ask, me and the lady are going to try to quit for her birthday, and I'm wondering if I'll suddenly become a bug condo. Maybe there's an advantage to inhaling a tube of poisonous smoke 15 times/day...?

Permethrin is indeed the best for killing ticks before they do their damage, but your statement that "DEET does not work" is not accurate. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but most people will tell you that the best possible solution is to use both.

Also, I'm not speaking for all products with DEET, just the OFF Deep Sport Woodsmen. I have been using it for years while camping, hiking, playing DG, etc. and have yet to get a tick bite (or mosquito bite) while doing so. The stuff works wonders, at least for me it does.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Permethrin is EXTREMELY toxic to cats. If you have a pet cat, avoid using it.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/pemethrin/article.html

Also keep in mind that permethrin is not toxic to humans because it doesn't really get absorbed by the skin. Most bug sprays containing deet also have alcohol, to open up the pores and absorb some of the deet. This could cause permethrin to enter your system and cause a reaction. So it's strongly advised NOT to mix permethrin and deet sprays.

I've been lucky and only one has ever bit me. Out here in Norcal they're around but not as prevalent as in other places.

**I can highly vouch for another method besides vaseline which worked faster. The one that bit me was probably a hour in when I found him on my shoulder. When my wife saw it she went to her make up bag and came back with clear nail polish. She took a dollop, enough to encase the tick, and plopped it on him. He immediately spazzed out flexing his body and withdrew from my skin within 30 seconds. I think it's a combination of suffocating him and the alcohol or chemicals in the polish.

I would highly recommend these methods over "cutting out", "ripping out", or any other methods that risk leaving even a little part of that god forsaken creature in us. My buddy caught lime disease from a tick and it was no joke! He was partially paralyzed and lost a ton of weight. Get those little bastards out of you as fast as possible and in one piece.

Disc On!

I'm no doctor but I have been told that disease is transmitted after they are done feeding when they actually barf into you to help them let go. I was told that if you suffocate them with alcohol or whatever they puke into you (the spazzing you noticed was probably him puking into you). I used to keep hand sanitizer with me to do the same but was told by a doc not to. He said pulling it out with tweezers or a tick key was the only safe way to go. So i replaced the hand sanitizer with a tick key in my bag. If you do leave a bit of the head in your skin you risk a general infection but not lyme (unless he already got you).