• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks!

^^ Excellent info. This site sells inexpensive "Mexican Vanilla 100% Pure Extract 4.2 FL OZ" for $5.95

I've never bought from them, and am not claiming they're telling the truth or lying, but their site says:
Real Vanilla is 100% pure extract of the vanilla bean
and
Coumarin-free
...which are issues with some so-called vanilla extracts from Mexico.
I might give this a try.

FYI :Shipping costs to my neck of the woods:
Ground: $3.95
3 Day Select: $15.95
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Next Day Air:$31.95

My buddy was feeling pretty crappy at Am Nats, went to go see a doctor when he got home and turns out he had lyme disease. Picked it up from a tick while he was playing the A-tier in Des Moines. Heads up to all the Iowa folks.

"Cannot use chemical insecticides"

geranium oil = chemicals
vanilla = chemicals
citrus oil = chemicals
peppermint oil = chemicals
neem oil = chemicals
cinnamon oil = chemicals
cedar oil = chemicals

No matter how "natural" or "essential" or "eco-friendly" the claims might be about these chemicals, they are indeed chemicals. And usually they have not been tested for safety in the form in which they are sold, nor tested for safety in the use that may be advertised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/health/16diet.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=herbal-supplement-dangers

Just sayin
Of course they're "chemicals." So are salt, water, and vinegar.
It's one thing thing if you are allergic or hypersensitive to one of these, but lots of bakers get vanilla on them, and they ain't dyin'. I suppose if someone consumed an entire quart of vanilla extract in one shot, it could cause some damage, but that would be stupid (not to mention an entirely different thread).

So, while they are chemicals, and some people might react to them, I'll go out on a limb and say the point is:
1) they're naturally occurring substances
2) are probably safe for most people
3) are probably damaging to the environment
4) probably wash off much easier than comercially manufactured insect repellents

Granted, not everything that ocurs naturally is safe for you, but if it's safe for human consumption, I'll take my chances rubbing it on my skin.

Last edited:
^ meant to say:
3) are probably less damaging to the environment. :eek:

If a tick attaches itself, do NOT just rip it out. Doing so will leave being its giant long vacuum cleaner of an probosces (nose) which may take a month to be forced out by your body in an annoying, and often painful process.

It is possible to forcibly remove a tick with tweezers, but may result in the above.

Place soft liquid hand soap on a cotton ball. Place the cotton ball over the tick. The tick will feel like it is going to suffocate and will pull out on its own and turn on the cotton ball. Throw away cotton ball, or, if you feel angry at the unwanted violation, torch said cotton ball and feel satisfaction when the tick goes POP!

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

Also some say they hate distilled white vinegar.. mix that with some water and it's not toxic.

I've been having good luck with organic virgin coconut oil. Put it on your arms and legs. Haven't had one on me since I started using it.

Of course they're "chemicals." So are salt, water, and vinegar.
It's one thing thing if you are allergic or hypersensitive to one of these, but lots of bakers get vanilla on them, and they ain't dyin'. I suppose if someone consumed an entire quart of vanilla extract in one shot, it could cause some damage, but that would be stupid (not to mention an entirely different thread).

So, while they are chemicals, and some people might react to them, I'll go out on a limb and say the point is:
1) they're naturally occurring substances
2) are probably safe for most people
3) are probably damaging to the environment
4) probably wash off much easier than comercially manufactured insect repellents

Granted, not everything that ocurs naturally is safe for you, but if it's safe for human consumption, I'll take my chances rubbing it on my skin.

Like I said, most of these essential oils and natural supplements and the like have never been tested, not even for their advertised uses. That is because it is not required by the FDA; there is very little regulation of the industry. It's a loophole that allows people to sell all kinds of snake oil home remedy crap without ever testing their safety. In the links I provided in the prior post, there are lots of examples of natural supplements causing deaths even when they are used as directed.

Below are some hazard data from the Material Safety Data Sheet for limonene, the main constituent of citrus oil. You can look up similar safety data for all the oils cited above. I'd encourage anyone who thinks about rubbing these all over their skin to make sure they inform themselves first, rather than just go out on a limb and take chances just because they are "natural".

------

HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Emergency Overview
OSHA Hazards
Combustible Liquid, Target Organ Effect, Skin sensitiser, Irritant

Target Organs
Kidney

GHS Classification
Flammable liquids ( Category 3 )
Acute toxicity , Oral ( Category 5 )
Skin irritation ( Category 2 )
Eye irritation ( Category 2A )
Skin sensitisation ( Category 1 )
Acute aquatic toxicity ( Category 1 )

Hazard statement(s)
H226 Flammable liquid and vapour.
H303 May be harmful if swallowed.
H315 Causes skin irritation.
H317 May cause an allergic skin reaction.
H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
H400 Very toxic to aquatic life.

Precautionary statement(s)
P273 Avoid release to the environment.
P280 Wear protective gloves.
P305 + P351 + P338 IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.

I hear you loud and clear and your words of caution make sense in that there are natural products which aren't necessarily regulated, and "Do people really know what they're rubbing on themselves and what it might do to them?"I should have clarified that my statments were primarily aimed those products which are already regulated by the FDA for human consumption (e.g. vanilla, pepermint oil, citrus extracts), etc. I don't know squat about neem oil (never heard of it before), so personally, I'd steer clear of unknowns.

But I still stand behind what I said about "if it's safe for human consumption, I'll take my chances rubbing it on my skin." The only people likely to have problems with that homebrewed citrus potion (made from fruit slices and water) are people allergic to the fruit - I'd hope someone has the good sense to avoid a substance if they know their allergic to it. Same with vanilla and peppermint oil - if it's safe for cookies, it's safe for skin. That's essentially my point.

One caveat I should have specified was if it's some sort of concentrated extract, it would be prudent to dilute it with water prior to aplying it (which StarFirebird cleary indicates in his post). People should understand that extracts in a concentrated form can irritate and cause problems. As a general rule, anything that's concentrated isn't intended to be used "straight" without being diluted.

Last edited:
Picked this up on amazon for my next trip outside of a city course. Maybe I'll wear it to play in town too you guys have me freaked out a little.

0001142394108_500X500.jpg

I've always had luck with the the spray on deep woods off, but I'm interested in trying out different things because the stuff I use doesn't really smell the best.

Tried to find the post I wanted to reply to. Anyways I think someone said something about using the soap method to get them to back out and that they squirm, to which someone replied that they might be puking into you which they generally do after feeding.

I think soap will apparently kill them, and most bugs. I found out about this through the suggestion of using soapy water on surfaces that boxelder bugs are attracted to. Soap apparently can soak through into their body and kills them. I've seen it happen to boxelder bugs, a lightning bug(it was in our kitchen sink and got hit by some suds), and earwig, they all start squirming for a while and then bam stop and are dead.

A couple of tips I have heard recently.

1. Do not squeeze the tick when removing it. The bacteria that spreads Lyme's disease lives inside of the tick's stomach, when the tick is squeezed you are potentially emptying the contents of the tick into your bloodstream. If you remove a tick do so with a tweezers and do so at the tick's head. It is preferred that you take a small piece of skin with to be certain the tick's head does not remain. You want to bleed a little as strange as it sounds.

2. Do not use a match to kill a tick that is still attached. If the tick dies with it's head in your skin it will vacate it's stomach contents, and along with it the bacteria for Lyme's disease if the tick is carrying it.

3. The tell tale sign of being infected with Lyme's disease is a ring that will form around the area that the tick was feeding at. If this ring forms you have Lyme's disease and need treatment immediately.

4. Ticks cannot jump and have no wings, but are very good at detecting carbon dioxide and heat. When a meal is close they can detect it and will be ready to attach if you brush against whatever they are sitting on. Be sure to tuck in any clothing you can, including socks, to help keep them from finding their way to your skin easily.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. I heard a radio program recently about Lyme's disease and it was very interesting. Apparently the bacteria is very evolved and carries much more genetic material than any other bacteria known to man. The bacteria lives inside of the tick's stomach without harming it's host, and can tell when the tick is feeding. At which point it makes it's way up into the ticks mouth and into the bloodstream of the victim. This bacteria does not enjoy human blood and will make it's way into other tissues such as joints and cartilage. Many times Lyme's disease is misdiagnosed as arthritis, and some believe that many people with MS are actually suffering from Lyme's disease.

I had Lyme disease this summer from a deer tick and didnt even get that bullseye rash. Just had multiple symptoms and 20% of people who get lyme don't even get the rash. I'm just glad I was paranoid and read the hell out of the symptoms so I knew what was going on when they hit. I've also heard you can be asymptomatic for a long time so be careful guys.

I had a tick I missed on my scrotum for 24 hours a few years back. don't ask me how I missed it; it was hell taking care of it, though....

Necro bump.

I was just listening to Radiolab podcast and they had a segment on people who have been bitten by a Lone Star tick suddenly developing allergies to red meat. Has this happened to anyone out in tick land (east of the Mississippi)? The Radiolab segment starts at 22:00 and goes to 52:00 https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/damn-bugs or look up alpha-gal allergy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy.

I know of one such case in virginia, disc golfer to boot.

Treat clothes, shoes, socks, bag with premethrine, treat skin with picardin. And always always always check yourself as best as you can.

Latest posts