• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tie-Dying

LeBryson James

Double Eagle Member
Anyone do it? I just started but I used Rit on my first try and it was a experienced fail. I just want to know if anyone else has been tie-dying. Tell me some techniques or some pictures of some success!

Just did a dye and it worked out great! (Had the right dye this time). Only one color though. :/ Anyways I am surprised that no one else is tie dyeing!?

Let's see a pic!
Some folks don't like tyedyes because they seem to blend in with all flora.
Oh, and that Dart I have is an R-Pro...:|

You talking about shirts or discs bro, because a lot of guys dye those on here. Check th Dye a Day threads to get some ideas, or my photobucket link will lead you to some of mine. Marbling thread will show you how to do it too.

Here are some pics.

IMG_7266.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

Can you tell us more about how you did this in detail? Like the mix, what you used (spinner/fan), how long you waited for optimal color before cleaning? Any tricks you may have. Also I was curious about the saran wrap type of dyeing, I here it makes for a good marble effect.

Yeah. I got some powdered Rit dye 10 or 09 ending number. I did a mixture with dawn, acetone. 80% hot water and 5% dawn and 10% acetone. (other 5% is empty bottle) After you pour everything into a pouring bottle shake it well so there are no clumps of powder. I took apart a box fan and taped a suction cup to the spindle. I placed the box fan in a old computer box (fit it exact) and cut out a part so I can control the speed on the dial. I just keep turning it on and off and keep a very low speed. It is hard to explain techniques so I may take a video next time I dye which will be probably friday. I waited about 12 hours before whipping because it was already pretty dry because of the acetone. And can you tell me more about the saran wrap?

Well I just started dyeing discs about 2 months ago and all I have done is hand cut stuff. Very, very time consuming and a test of someone's patience. But anyways I have been doing work for some friends off and on also and some are asking about tye dyes. I have been interested aswell so over the last week I have been trying to find out anything and everything about the subject.
I came across another forum or something that mentioned saran wrapping. It said to take the saran wrap and put it into something that you plan on dyeing your disc into (I have an oil pan I haven't used yet I was thinking about using for this purpose) poor in some dye (not much) and put your disc in after. It mentioned keeping it in there for 24-48 hours because of the dye not being heated I'm assuming. Other than that they did not go into any kind of details. I plan on experimenting with this soon. As of right now I am building my own spinner from a food processor, the bottom 1/2 of a 5gallon bucket, and also using a suction cup to hold the disc into place. I will let you know how this works and will also experiment with your mixture and possibly some of my own.
If anyone has anything to add to this thread please do and keep it alive. I enjoy playing disc golf and I also enjoy making mine and my friends discs look sick as hell while doing so.
If you have done any of your own tye dyes / spin dyes / Marbling / used the saran wrap method talk about it and show some pictures please.