• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time for a new driver...

JSquizz

Well after a waterlogged day of discing I need to find a new driver and would like some suggestions. I throw both forehand and backhand. The only driver I consistently throw good is a Champion Mamba. I can throw a Nuke and Star Valk fairly well forehanded. I have a Blizzard Ape I may as well throw away, it is good for short shots I need to go straight left or right. Based on this do you have any suggestions for my next driver purchase?

I would recommend destroyers they have a very stable high speed flight and will always come back to the left. If you are looking for more control I would go for a fairway driver. Something like a TL, Leopard, Tee bird, XXX, or an Eagle. These wont go as far as a nuke but I can still crank mine out to about 315(I don't have that much of an arm). Hope this helps:thmbup:

If you're used to throwing high-speed stuff, a lighter weight (mine is 165, pretty sure it's the lightest made) Pro Vulcan goes forever with a backhand throw. Once beat in makes a nice hyzer flip/roller disc.

Since you said you can throw a Mamba very good, I would go with one of these.

Innova Roadrunner
Innova Sidewinder
Discraft Avenger SS

I have experience with these discs and they can be hyzerflipped or thrown anhyzer with great success.

You have been playing about a year according to your profile. I would advise staying away from things like the Nuke / Destroyer / Fat Rimmed, Fast drivers.

The popular fairway drivers you hear about all the time gain that following for a couple reasons: They serve as great learning tools, are consistent performers, and are generally quite versatile.

Learn on a Leo, Eagle, or Teebird.

Discraft's Stalker could also make this list.

Lat 64's River or Saint as well.

Those wide rimmed fast drivers will, in all likelyness, only set you back.

The Valk is a great long range driver for people young to the game, but I still think fairways will teach you more.

You have been playing about a year according to your profile. I would advise staying away from things like the Nuke / Destroyer / Fat Rimmed, Fast drivers.

The popular fairway drivers you hear about all the time gain that following for a couple reasons: They serve as great learning tools, are consistent performers, and are generally quite versatile.

Learn on a Leo, Eagle, or Teebird.

Discraft's Stalker could also make this list.

Lat 64's River or Saint as well.

Those wide rimmed fast drivers will, in all likelyness, only set you back.

The Valk is a great long range driver for people young to the game, but I still think fairways will teach you more.

My vote is a tee bird! I was throwing nukes and hit a distance wall. I started throwing teebirds with no x step and now I can throw farther and more accurate. It seems crazy but discing down really works. If you are looking for a good high speed driver anyway, then check our a beast or a S-PD. Both are really nice molds that can be cranked far!

Thanks for the advice...irronically I already own a Champ Leopard, which many of you mentioned, and I do throw it well just not as far as I throw the Mamba. The Mamba is too understable to use in headwinds though...

work that champ leo til it gets to 300. Anyone with skill in disc golf should be able to throw a champ leo 300 feet dead straight. do this and your game will improve greatly.

You sound like me in my first year. I used a boss, Katana, Destroyer, basically all the high speed stuff. I could get some good distance with a flex shot, but my game didn't really improve until I started using some slower stuff. I know it gets repeated ad nauseum on these forums but the best way to improve is to work on your putters, mids (huge), and slower drivers. Work the big stuff back in later.

I've been playing about a year now, but I started early with the miss and fairways. River/teebirds/Leo's/strikers until 300 ft. I'm able to get a valk out to 350 and beyond with precision because of it. Strikers a little faster than the others but it is so damn reliable.

Wraith. Not a fan (at all) of the Mamba, but I suggest a Wraith. It is a higher speed than fairway drivers, but not unmanageable for newer players, and experienced players and pros love them as well. Luckily, discs are (fairly) cheap, so you should be able to experiment with whatever works best for you. Best of luck!

I realize more and more I do not understand all the discing vernacular I need! Is there a vocabulary thread

I agree the orion ls is a fantastic stable disc. I can get 300 ft both sidearm and overhand. Will never leave home without it. If you want something with a bit of fade at the end go with the orion lf.

Get an Orion LS or a JLS should work well.

I realize more and more I do not understand all the discing vernacular I need! Is there a vocabulary thread

What terminology exactly would you like clarification on? This is your thread, ask away!

Latest posts