• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time to get serious

Miamisms

Eagle Member
Ok. So its time to really improve. My putting is reliable, but my drives are half and half. I've started to accept my noodle arm (hopefully until I somehow grow out of it).

Bag: Upper Park Focus

Discs:

Drivers:

Blue Opto Diamond 150ish (290-315ft)
-fairly stable for a diamond
-glide for days
-when thrown into slight headwinds will turn for 10-15 ft but still fade back

Blue 1.28 JLS 169g (270-300ft)
- stable, reliable
-will not turn unless thrown into heavy headwind
-not strong fade​

Tyedye 1.1 JLS 167g (270-300ft)
-S curve capabilities
-with the right snap and angle will hold anhyzer to the end​

Blue Star Leopard 169g (230-260ft)
-crazy stable Leo
-FH straight/Flip up shots
-short overs table shots w/some skip
-thrown with max power will hold straight line​

Midranges:

Blue Proton Tangent 174g (200-230ft)
-will not turn over
-reliable fade
-average glide
- ill not beat in​

Blue Pro D Stratus 171g ( 200-240ft)
-amazing glide
-when thrown above 70% power will turn significantly
-thrown under 70% will remain straight maybe turning a little with no fade
-great for technical wood holes​

Putter:

Blue Soft Voodoo 175g
-great glide when spin putting/jump putting
-not used for driving/rarely on upshots

Things I think I need: I'm trying to stick with the least amount of molds possible in the driver category.

Heavy Blue QJLS. To handle the more over stable/needed skip shots

low PLH Blue Diamond. For the shots I want more turn on. I threw a purple Diamond prior to my purchase of the blue one and that thing had mad turn.

Blue X (?) Comet. Read it has great glide and holds lines. Perhaps to replace tangent maybe, except for heavy wind drives with Mid.

Blue Z Hornet. I need an over stable mid. Something I can throw on a straight line and will hold, then fade a healthy amount. More glide the better, though I understand overs table/glide doesn't exist.

Next season I will more than likely be upgrading to an Upper Park Shift bag, in order to carry a full line up.

Any and all thoughts, questions, concerns, experiences, and comments are appreciated

Well, I think you have a good foundation for your bag.

Keeping it simple is usually the best scenario.

I would look into finding a driving putter. Something you will use for short drives off the tee or long approaches for those longer holes.

So many options... really up to you and your brand preferences.

You are going to have a huge range of options when it comes to stable-OS midrange discs. I saw your other thread on this topic and you said you seem to like Discraft. If so, you could keep it simple and go with a max weight Z Buzzz. At the distances you are throwing, a Buzzz should have a reliable and healthy fade at the end of its flight.

I agree that you could benefit from a driving putter. Since you already putt with a Gateway mold, the obvious suggestion here would be to try a Wizard. One of the most popular putter molds for a reason, and excellent off the tee. They are fairly deep discs with a bead, though, so you would need to be comfortable with that. Maybe go feel one up and see what you think.

I like your choice to roll with the JLS. I feel like it is a often-overlooked disc. I threw a 170ish Sirius JLS for a while and it was great. Eventually replaced them with Teebirds, but that was mostly because replacement Teebirds are easier for me to find in local shops.

You are going to have a huge range of options when it comes to stable-OS midrange discs. I saw your other thread on this topic and you said you seem to like Discraft. If so, you could keep it simple and go with a max weight Z Buzzz. At the distances you are throwing, a Buzzz should have a reliable and healthy fade at the end of its flight.

I agree that you could benefit from a driving putter. Since you already putt with a Gateway mold, the obvious suggestion here would be to try a Wizard. One of the most popular putter molds for a reason, and excellent off the tee. They are fairly deep discs with a bead, though, so you would need to be comfortable with that. Maybe go feel one up and see what you think.

I like your choice to roll with the JLS. I feel like it is a often-overlooked disc. I threw a 170ish Sirius JLS for a while and it was great. Eventually replaced them with Teebirds, but that was mostly because replacement Teebirds are easier for me to find in local shops.

I greatly appreciate this advice! Thanks for the time to notice the separate posts!

1) I'll have to go feel up a buzzz and see what I feel, but that sounds good to me. I was between that and a hornet, definitely not a drone.

2) the reason I don't drive with my putter is because I feel insecure in the deepness of it, even though I have XL hands. I may just have to work it into my hands though.

3) thanks for the +1 on the JLS, appreciate it!

Well, I think you have a good foundation for your bag.

Keeping it simple is usually the best scenario.

I would look into finding a driving putter. Something you will use for short drives off the tee or long approaches for those longer holes.

So many options... really up to you and your brand preferences.

Thanks Smooth. Looks like it's time to start feelin up putters again haha

I greatly appreciate this advice! Thanks for the time to notice the separate posts!

1) I'll have to go feel up a buzzz and see what I feel, but that sounds good to me. I was between that and a hornet, definitely not a drone.

2) the reason I don't drive with my putter is because I feel insecure in the deepness of it, even though I have XL hands. I may just have to work it into my hands though.

1: Buzzz is fairly straight (0.5). Hornet is very overstable(2.0) and drone is ridiculously overstable(2.5).

2: It's a matter of practice, like most things disc golf :D

Honestly you can get both a driving putter and an over stable mid out of a Pro D Zone that u beat in. Sometimes it takes a few to find one that isn't too beefy but it is probably the fastest "putter" on the market and is truly an amazing disc. If you are looking to save on molds that would be my suggestion.

Any and all thoughts, questions, concerns, experiences, and comments are appreciated

A few thoughts from someone with a (somewhat) similar bag layout (aviar, comet, roc, leo, tbird) and probably same skill set (more or less):

Start throwing that putter (or another putter if need be) off the tee. Start throwing it for short "mid-range" approaches. Putters have the capability to go farther than you think while still maintaining control. Once you start becoming more comfortable with the putter for various shots, you'll have a better grasp of the mids, and it trickles up from there to drivers.

Might be a somewhat slow process to achieve better results, and it takes practice.

But if you're serious about getting better (rather than just serious about searching out new discs), I'd suggest throwing a lot of putter shots. :)

Pretty much what Juke said. I'd stay away from super OS putters (Zone) at first when learning to throw it and get comfortable with more traditional putter shapes (your Voodoo). I'd buy another Voodoo and go to a field and just throw it till it's comfy. Start with a fan grip.

I've started to accept my noodle arm (hopefully until I somehow grow out of it).

Blue Opto Diamond 150ish (290-315ft)

Things I think I need: I'm trying to stick with the least amount of molds possible in the driver category.

If throwing a Diamond 315 you are, then a noodle arm you are not. (Some Jedi Master Yoda grammar there).

The Diamond is a speed 7 disc, and IMHO you have the arm to upgrade to a speed 9. Yes, I saw you want to limit drivers, and I don't know what courses you play so 300 ft might be all you need, but something in the Fury, Jade, Saint, Valkyrie arena would probably work well for you.

Oderwise, good bag.

If throwing a Diamond 315 you are, then a noodle arm you are not. (Some Jedi Master Yoda grammar there).

The Diamond is a speed 7 disc, and IMHO you have the arm to upgrade to a speed 9. Yes, I saw you want to limit drivers, and I don't know what courses you play so 300 ft might be all you need, but something in the Fury, Jade, Saint, Valkyrie arena would probably work well for you.

Oderwise, good bag.

Is a jade faster than the Diamond? I thought they were the same speed.

A few thoughts from someone with a (somewhat) similar bag layout (aviar, comet, roc, leo, tbird) and probably same skill set (more or less):

Start throwing that putter (or another putter if need be) off the tee. Start throwing it for short "mid-range" approaches. Putters have the capability to go farther than you think while still maintaining control. Once you start becoming more comfortable with the putter for various shots, you'll have a better grasp of the mids, and it trickles up from there to drivers.

Might be a somewhat slow process to achieve better results, and it takes practice.

But if you're serious about getting better (rather than just serious about searching out new discs), I'd suggest throwing a lot of putter shots. :)

Will do! Words I needed to hear!

Got some freebies the other day including an element ( currently taking my tangent spot), karma ( OS Mid), and a Wizard (diving OS driving putter?)

Got to play my home course with the two new mids and they seem to be filling the spots nicely. Still think I'd like to try a comet out, but for freebies, I'm impressed :). Plus it helps sure grip is the best plastic IMO.

UPDATE:

Element - pretty reliable and LOVE the plastic. Currently took over the spot of the Tangent in my small limited bag. Has a tad bit of turn and when thrown in the right conditions and with good execution will not fade. A little shorter than I'd like but can't complain.

Karma - PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! Once again the most beautiful and grippy plastic out there. Can put a lot into this and it won't turn, and I finally understand what all you normal arms mean by reliable fade. Use it off the tee on a couple of the local courses and definitely more dependable and don't even have to think about what the wind is doing.

RIP 1.1 JLS - :( lost it and now I am in desperate need of a replacement of a driver that will easily go right. Searching hard for that low PLH Diamond so I can easily cover the under stable slot. Unsure if I will find another 1.1 JLS like that one though :/

UPDATE:

RIP 1.1 JLS - :( lost it and now I am in desperate need of a replacement of a driver that will easily go right. Searching hard for that low PLH Diamond so I can easily cover the under stable slot. Unsure if I will find another 1.1 JLS like that one though :/

Check out a Recycled Gold Line Diamond. The RGL's molded up with a lower PLH (and more dome) than the OPTO and GL runs and beat in to glidey, turnover / anhyzer goodness real fast. There are a few floating about on Ebay right now...

Update: SLIGHT SHIFT ACQUIRED!!!!!!

The bag is amazing and now I want to fill it out!
The wizard made the bag for up shots and putter drives... Such a lovely thing! Flies very similar to my karma, shorter obviously, which I have grown to love (see below).

Recently got a moonshine Diamond that is working into the more under stable slot, but needs some work.

Looking to acquire:
Jade/Valkyrie: something a little faster to stretch myself. I go back and forth on these because I like the Diamond, BUT I am starting to get scared of wind now that I have lightweight distance in my bag.

QJLS: Still need to get me a qjls for overstability and wind conditions

Warrior: karma started out great and over stable, but then I hit a few trees. S plastic is still the best feeling plastic out there, and amazingly this mid, still fairly stable, has become my go to mid.

Star Teebird: I have a star Leo that is pretty beefy, but when thrown with my FH will stay straight/turn, probably some form issues too. SO I need something more over stable for my FH. Unsure if the above mentioned QJLS will fit this spot or not so we will just have to see.

Any comments, concerns or suggestions are helpful. You guys have already thrown me in the right direction!

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Discs acquired:

QJLS: over stable slot RHBH, straight LHFH. Does exactly what I need it to and what I'd thought it'd do. Longer than my beefy star Leo

Retro Diamond: hit a couple trees and now this thing is a hyzer flip machine. BEAUTIFUL plastic, Holy cow! So grippy! Comparable to gateways sure grip plastic. I'm in love.

S warrior: beefy mid. Nuff said.

Retro fury: impulse buy. Wanted something a little higher speed than my diamonds. Currently haven't hit any trees with it so it holds a rope and then barely fades. Very nice feel to it, once again beautiful plastic.

Orion LS: needed to get to $45 on Clearwater for free shipping. Thrown this a couple times but haven't invested time into it. I just love what is currently in my bag to much that I don't know what it could do that I can't do with what I currently have. May use in windier conditions where I don't trust the fury I haven't tested to see if it is indeed longer than my current JLS.

Overall very pleased. Rarely have I received a package of discs and had each disc act the way I wanted it to/it should have.

For the first time in 4 years I feel like my bag is complete. I know my discs and what to pull for each shot, their differences and strengths. Tied my course record at my local course today without much trouble.

Very happy :D. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Until next time!

Wow. This was a stroll down memory lane. My game has changed so much since then and I loved to laugh looking back at this. My bag looks more like the following now (for my record of course):

Bag: UPD Slight Shift (still going strong) as well as Guru Yme when I need to be extra or a UPD Focus for quickies
Distance:
Pinnacle Outlaw
Neutron Trace
Fission Wave

Drivers:
Proton Wrath
Fission Tesla
Proton Amp
Neutron Insanity
Prism Insanity

Fairway:
OG Pinnacle Patriot