• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for accuracy when powering down?

mrtho

Par Member
I have huge accuracy problems on short upshots. If I am 200 or so away I am as accurate as I am at any other time but if I am trying to power down for an upshot from shorter than I can throw a putter but not from putting range my accuracy is friggin gone. If I try to power down and throw something say 100ft I may hit my line maybe three out of 5 one will be slightly left but the other will be so far left it leaves me thinking "where the heck is that going".

What am I likely doing wrong? any tips to help at all.

btw I usually take a run up off the tee. I take one step from the fairway (just learning my run up and don't trust not getting a foot fault) but when I power down I usually do a stand still because if I try to power down and toss a putter with a single step im throwing it well past the basket.

The most common mistake I see people make on shortish shots is not looking where they are throwing. The big, turned away reachback players learn on the internet is great for distance but not so much accuracy/finesse. No idea if this applies to you.

The most common mistake I see people make on shortish shots is not looking where they are throwing. The big, turned away reachback players learn on the internet is great for distance but not so much accuracy/finesse. No idea if this applies to you.

Yeah I have a tendency to keep my head looking forward like I usually do on other throws so thanks for the tip.

No need to run up on a 150ft upshot, one short step at most. Throw from a standstill and adjust your distance by not reaching back so far. Shorter reach back and throw. Make sure you follow through. I see a lot of people tense up and not follow though, they have this weird jerky tense throw with an abrupt stop.

... and I thought powering down itself was already the way to improve accuracy...

I agree with Keller. One step should be the most you need at that distance. As far as your head, you may give yourself more problems if you focus on looking where you're throwing. I think the main thing is getting your swing right, since powering down sometimes means you need to add some touch to your shots. I'm talking around in circles now. One easy solution would be to post a video.

All of this^^ I saw a Philo protip vid. He said. To kind of tilt your arm up in your backswing to abbreviate your reach back. Also the arm up angke kind of helps me keep my head forward BC I dont feel like I'm supposed to be throwing a full shot.
https://youtu.be/8SQnSUtQbcE

Keller is spot on. Relax. Practice your throw a couple of times before executing to get the feel for distance and most importantly, follow through.

Agree with everyone, especially playing catch/muscle memory. May help to think about/feel tossing the weight of the disc to the target line apex.

I bust out the pointer finger on such shots. The finger comes out of my power/driving grip and rides the front edge of my putter or short approach disc.

Yep, playing catch is great.

When you have a short approach shot, picture the basket as your catch partner.

^^I do this^^ also don't take yourneyes off of the target on short approaches, for me this is the 100'-125' range.

I have huge accuracy problems on short upshots. If I am 200 or so away I am as accurate as I am at any other time but if I am trying to power down for an upshot from shorter than I can throw a putter but not from putting range my accuracy is friggin gone. If I try to power down and throw something say 100ft I may hit my line maybe three out of 5 one will be slightly left but the other will be so far left it leaves me thinking "where the heck is that going".

btw I usually take a run up off the tee. I take one step from the fairway (just learning my run up and don't trust not getting a foot fault) but when I power down I usually do a stand still because if I try to power down and toss a putter with a single step im throwing it well past the basket.

Now when you say you miss left...are you missing your target line, or is the disc fading too hard?

Also, here's a vid that helped me:

FOLLOW THRU FOLLOW THRU FOLLOW THRU

More vids

Sorry cant translate, but no words are needed. It's sublime.
Just like the Ulibarri video: Hand slightly above elbow, eye on target, set up square, turn, release, and Follow thru! Keep it all moving down the target line.

In the BTW I can help.
Try using no step when using the putter and see if that helps. I have to stand still on approach shots anyhow but I use a slow midrange for longer true approach I am not doing an approach putt with the more beat in putter same mold and plastic as putter. That should help with approach putts.

Start practicing longer putts. 60-80ft or more. At this range during these drills, it's not about going in, it's more about landing close enough for an easy drop in. The only difference for me from 60-100ft is probably just a bit more height and hyzer.

Now when you say you miss left...are you missing your target line, or is the disc fading too hard?

Also, here's a vid that helped me:

FOLLOW THRU FOLLOW THRU FOLLOW THRU
ii dont know why i said left i miss to the right. Its my target line i miss. Sometimes if i am aiming at the basket at say 100ft the disc will leave my hand and be on a line that is over 30 feet right of the basket. This is with me standing still while throwing i just shank the crap outta short shots.

Try to make your rip point at about 11 o'clock. So ur lead shoulder is point at the target line is 12 o'clock. Make have the disc rip out of your hand at 11 o'clock ish.

Latest posts