• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for beating the funk

KRATC

Eagle Member
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you had any advise ( or looking for what works for you personally) on how to get out of a rut. There may already be threads on this I am sure, so feel free to rube me. Anyways, I have been working on different throws and when I am in the practice field, I feel great. My problem is most likely a focus issue. I seem to have hit a plateau and do not really know how to escape this orbit of lower-than-average (for me) playing. I have played putter rounds and honestly I don't know why I throw anything over a speed seven driver during a round but I digress.

All my rambling aside, how have you taken that "next step"?

When I'm playing well, I continually challenge myself by going to play some of the tougher local courses. When my game is a bit off, I go to an easier course that I know very well to step back a bit and rebuild my confidence.

It can help to evaluate your game to try to figure out what's not working. If it's your putting, hit the practice basket. If you're inconsistent off the tee, maybe you just need a bit more time in the field focusing on hitting specific lines.

on how to get out of a rut.

When you play a familiar course, do you throw the same shot, the same way on the same hole? I try to look for different lines to try. It not only makes a familiar course more interesting but you just might find a better line. I like to use casual rounds as a learning time.

I've got the luxury of playing on an empty course most of the time. If (and when) I throw a bad shot during a practice round, I can re-throw until I get the results I was after. Seeing yourself making the throws and having success is a good confidence builder. Once I make the good shot, I usually play the worst lie or the harder follow-up shot in order to work on longer and/or more difficult approach or recovery scenarios.

Practice. And that does NOT mean play casual rounds. Go to a park, preferably one with trees, and start out throwing from tree to tree, or shade to shade. go around trees, hit gaps, hyzer/annhyzer, high line/low line and mix up the distances. everything you can imagine. multiple shots at the same line, i notice i get better results with 10 discs than i do 3. I see the line i want to hit and throw it 10 times.

a couple things i've noticed that make my practice sessions more productive:

go out by yourself. you can focus better and accomplish what you want to (not get distracted)
focus on hitting your line at 100-150ft and "aiming" with your hit point.
bring multiples of the same disc, mids or putters
practice for at least an hour, or until you start to lose focus

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you had any advise ( or looking for what works for you personally) on how to get out of a rut. There may already be threads on this I am sure, so feel free to rube me. Anyways, I have been working on different throws and when I am in the practice field, I feel great. My problem is most likely a focus issue. I seem to have hit a plateau and do not really know how to escape this orbit of lower-than-average (for me) playing. I have played putter rounds and honestly I don't know why I throw anything over a speed seven driver during a round but I digress.

All my rambling aside, how have you taken that "next step"?

Why not give that a shot for a little bit? I was never really one to throw high speed drivers but I started out with a Beast.

After about a year of not really firuring out how to throw it, a friend gave me a leopard and I started doing better with that. Now I carry a teebird, river, leopard.

Maybe it's because I've learned those discs now, I'm much more consistent with them. So much so that I'm not even sure I want to move on to faster discs.

Also I've found some of my best scores have been durring rounds where I've only thrown mids and putters off the tee, granted these rounds were on shorter courses, but the score was better than I'd ever posted while using whatever I wanted.

Otherwise try different shots durring practice rounds. The game is about fun so make it fun. You don't always have to keep score.

for me its all focus. right now im extremely burnt on the sh*t. im throwing well but still cant touch my potential. atm,i hate disc golf, but i still love throwing plastic and manipulating/creating the flight.

i havent used my bag in a few months. maybe try throwing with your goto driver a mid/fairway and putter only. this usually helps knock the bs off my 'game'

The nice thing about a plateau is that you got there by improving to begin with. Have patience, it'll happen again for sure (and so will another plateau :p ).

As the guys mentioned here, find little things that will change your game up and will benefit you further down the road. Learn to throw shots that you don't normally throw all the time by going out and playing rounds throwing those shots only. Change up how you approach your local course. Force yourself to play different lines or try starting at alternate holes and playing through, just to get yourself in a different mindset. Believe it or not, this all helps.

As someone just coming off of a bit of my own plateau, I can relate and I employed all of these bits of advice when I was there. Now coming off, I have several 'new' shots in the bag, alternate lines of attack, and overall a lot more confidence in my current game.

Often the problem with being into a funk is more in one's head, and not their body.

Take a few days or even a couple of weeks off and let that bad muscle memory fade away. Then when you get back to the course, try something different.

For me, there are two steps to getting out of a funk. The first is to play a round with only a few discs. Alone I tend to over analyze and get frustrated, so I play with a buddy. This sounds kinda bad, but it's best if I play with someone I know you can beat as I have serious confidence issues (just being honest here). Recently I got out of a funk by playing with just my Trak and my Soft Magnet.
The second step sounds even worse, but it's to get a good buzz going. After a couple beers I relax and stop worrying about every throw so much and it really helps my game. I played a tag league game sober with my full bag and shot a 66, then pounded a few beers and played a casual round with my friend and shot a 56 with 3 discs (my second best round ever on the course).

Thanks for the advise guys! I realize it is all mental, I know I have the skill to throw how I want to throw, it is just a matter of getting there. Also, on a side note, how do you guys feel about playing your rating in a tournament rather than where you think you should be playing?

For me, there are two steps to getting out of a funk. The first is to play a round with only a few discs. Alone I tend to over analyze and get frustrated, so I play with a buddy. This sounds kinda bad, but it's best if I play with someone I know you can beat as I have serious confidence issues (just being honest here). Recently I got out of a funk by playing with just my Trak and my Soft Magnet.
The second step sounds even worse, but it's to get a good buzz going. After a couple beers I relax and stop worrying about every throw so much and it really helps my game. I played a tag league game sober with my full bag and shot a 66, then pounded a few beers and played a casual round with my friend and shot a 56 with 3 discs (my second best round ever on the course).

So if jtreadwell asks you to play a round, tell him to go eat a bowl of f*ck.

:D

Play with better people - it'll force you to either step up your game or stop playing. If you love DG, it'll be the first option.

practice your putting .

maybe try some fast discs in light weights ( as big a lip as you can handle)

have FUN , dont fret the next hole, our the previous hole, every one is a fresh start.

When I get the funk I reach for some penicillin. Either that or I go practice driving with only my anodes and fuses. They make me slow down and focus on my form.

i've always played with guys who don't want to get better...i always wondered if that was holding me back....within the last few months i started playing with a buddy who is very good and has traveled the country playing numerous courses....he always challenges me to get better!! chooting better rounds everytime!!

try taking a road trip or just playing new courses, I find this puts the fun back in it and makes me play better (then again I always have fun).

When you play a familiar course, do you throw the same shot, the same way on the same hole? I try to look for different lines to try. It not only makes a familiar course more interesting but you just might find a better line. I like to use casual rounds as a learning time.

THIS!

I can't stress this enough. People who play with me are usually in awe of all the dumb routes I throw, but how else do I expect to get better? When I play a casual round I'm out to have fun and improve, and you're not going to do that by attempting to play the exact same round every time, at least not to the fullest of your ability.