• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for Central Arizona (Phoenix) in January?

mrclc

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Heading to Phoenix next month over the long MLK Day weekend to alleviate the winter disc golf blues! Does anyone have any tips or insider info on courses in the Phoenix/Tucson area? I'm definitely planning on playing:

- Fountain Hills
- Vista Del Camino
- Buffalo Ridge
- Red Mountain North & South
- Maricopa Meadows

As a spoiled Midwesterner, I usually just show up and throw when I want to play, but I've found when traveling out west that a number of local factors can impact whether or not a course is in optimal shape or even playable at all.

My specific "local" questions are:

- Is Marana Rock still underwater? If so, is it worth playing in its "flooded" layout?
- What's the deal with Fiesta Lakes? The reviews seem to have a lot of conflicting info. Once again, is it worth playing its current state?

As always, any insight is very much appreciated!

Heading to Phoenix next month over the long MLK Day weekend to alleviate the winter disc golf blues! Does anyone have any tips or insider info on courses in the Phoenix/Tucson area? I'm definitely planning on playing:

- Fountain Hills
- Vista Del Camino
- Buffalo Ridge
- Maricopa Meadows

As a spoiled Midwesterner, I usually just show up and throw when I want to play, but I've found when traveling out west that a number of local factors can impact whether or not a course is in optimal shape or even playable at all.

- Is Marana Rock still underwater? If so, is it worth playing in its "flooded" layout?
- What's the deal with Fiesta Lakes? The reviews seem to have a lot of conflicting info. Once again, is it worth playing its current state?

Last I heard about Marana is that it is still in the flooded layout - not worth the trek to play it in my opinion. The full layout was a lot of fun - I hope it comes back soon.

Fiesta lakes is a decent course, it's short and semi technical. I would call ahead to the pro shop as I was last told you could only play disc golf at certain times around the ball golfers plus there is a small fee to play.

In the valley I would definitely play fountain, vista, red mountain, and buffalo. I believe Fountain is now in the memorial layout so be aware, much plastic can be lost if the baskets are on the peninsula's. Not sure if Vista will be in the XL layout but you can call spinners ahead of time to find out. Good to play either way but the XL layout is way better. As for Buffalo, great 27 hole course just bring star or champ plastic since it takes a beating. I haven't played red mountain yet but hear great things.

Maricopa Meadows I've played once and it was kind of meh but if you are near the area you mine as well stop.

Conocidio is pretty nice for a park course. Pretty much no chance of losing a disc but plenty of trees to keep it challenging. Nine baskets with two tee pads per hole to make 18. Front nine plays counter clockwise and back nine is clockwise mostly. The design can lead to people throwing in on each other so the course is best played early in the day when its less crowded. Easy to play 18 in a little over an hour.

- Fountain Hills
- Vista Del Camino
- Buffalo Ridge
- Maricopa Meadows

Unless you are staying near Maricopa, I wouldn't go out of my way to play there. It is a very beautiful park with lots of green grass and a pretty little lake, but not really worth the drive. If you want to bag courses, there are plenty of closer courses in the Phoenix Metro.

If you play Buffalo Ridge and the two courses at Red Mountain and decide you like desert disc golf, you can add Moeur Park in Tempe and Paseo Vista in Chandler to your play list. If you prefer green grass and ponds to dust and rocks, play Fiesta Lakes and Maricopa instead.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last I heard about Marana is that it is still in the flooded layout - not worth the trek to play it in my opinion. The full layout was a lot of fun - I hope it comes back soon.

I definitely won't bother with Marana, then.

I believe Fountain is now in the memorial layout so be aware, much plastic can be lost if the baskets are on the peninsula's. Not sure if Vista will be in the XL layout but you can call spinners ahead of time to find out.

Spinners is a disc golf store? I'll definitely get in contact with them for layout info. I'm only about an 850-rated player, so the layout at Fountain Hills will definitely affect what plastic I bring with me. Should I take up slots in the bag with burner plastic/stuff I'm not afraid of losing regardless?

Go to show low, play all 3 courses, you won't regret it (avoid Ironside if you don't like epic hikes)

I would've considered Show Low, but the point of the trip is to try and minimize the cold I left behind at home... Maybe if I have a bunch of leftover time once I finish with the Phoenix courses.

Conocidio is pretty nice for a park course.

I might add that one to the list, especially if it doesn't take long.

Unless you are staying near Maricopa, I wouldn't go out of my way to play there. It is a very beautiful park with lots of green grass and a pretty little lake, but not really worth the drive. If you want to bag courses, there are plenty of closer courses in the Phoenix Metro.

If you play Buffalo Ridge and the two courses at Red Mountain and decide you like desert disc golf, you can add Moeur Park in Tempe and Paseo Vista in Chandler to your play list. If you prefer green grass and ponds to dust and rocks, play Fiesta Lakes and Maricopa instead.

I don't mind the drive, but if it comes down to two effectively equal courses and one is 15 minutes away vs. 45 minutes away I'll take the closer one every time. I want to play as many quality courses as I can over my three days in town, so I might end up playing all of them anyway. Right now it looks like the top tier is Vista, Fountain, and Buffalo and the second tier is Red Mountain x2, Marciopa, Fiesta, Moeur, and Paseo Vista. Assuming I have the time and the legs to play 10, what's the tenth course I should pick up? The course map seems to suggest either Conocido, Sweetwater, Thunderbird, or Emerald. So far I have one vote for Conocido.

Spinners is a disc golf store? I'll definitely get in contact with them for layout info. I'm only about an 850-rated player, so the layout at Fountain Hills will definitely affect what plastic I bring with me. Should I take up slots in the bag with burner plastic/stuff I'm not afraid of losing regardless?

Yes, spinners is the disc golf store by hole 12 at Vista. Being an 850 player be careful at Vista and especially Fountain - you could lose a lot of plastic so maybe bring some junk as you stated or you could buy some used plastic at spinners. In the memorial layout at fountain they put the baskets out on the end of islands surrounded by water on a few holes. There are also several other baskets very close to water.

Conocido is my main course along with Buffalo, I'm about 10 minutes from each. Conocido is ok but wouldn't go out of my way to play it. 18 teepads and 9 baskets and they crisscross it's easy to get confused unless you print a map on spinners website - they have maps for all the local courses. Buffalo is a lot of fun, definitely stop there but chews up your plastic.

I don't mind the drive, but if it comes down to two effectively equal courses and one is 15 minutes away vs. 45 minutes away I'll take the closer one every time. I want to play as many quality courses as I can over my three days in town, so I might end up playing all of them anyway. Right now it looks like the top tier is Vista, Fountain, and Buffalo and the second tier is Red Mountain x2, Marciopa, Fiesta, Moeur, and Paseo Vista. Assuming I have the time and the legs to play 10, what's the tenth course I should pick up? The course map seems to suggest either Conocido, Sweetwater, Thunderbird, or Emerald. So far I have one vote for Conocido.

Of those last four you mentioned, definitely Conocido. We will have all new Prodigy baskets in the next week or so. :D

Emerald , t-bird, and sweet water aren't very good IMO.

Right now it looks like the top tier is Vista, Fountain, and Buffalo and the second tier is Red Mountain x2, Marciopa, Fiesta, Moeur, and Paseo Vista. Assuming I have the time and the legs to play 10, what's the tenth course I should pick up? The course map seems to suggest either Conocido, Sweetwater, Thunderbird, or Emerald. So far I have one vote for Conocido.

Buffalo Ridge will zap a lot of time and energy. It is not a quick play. If you have energy to play more disc golf when you are done, Coincido and Los Olivios are in "traditional" parks (with grass and trees). TBird is in a drainage park and Sweetwater is in a park and drainage area. Thunderbird is the only true 18 basket course of the bunch. The others require forward and backward play to make 18. Play Coincido and/or Los Olivios if you like traditional parks or you want to work on your roller game. The dormant Bermuda grass is great for learning/perfecting the roller shot. I would vote Sweetwater as it is the most desert like of these four.

If you are into bagging courses, you could start your day in Chandler with Paseo Vista and play your way North on Emerald, Fiesta Lakes, Vista Del Camino and Moeur. You could even add Los Olivios if you have enough energy and daylight.

I would've considered Show Low, but the point of the trip is to try and minimize the cold I left behind at home... Maybe if I have a bunch of leftover time once I finish with the Phoenix courses.

I went in mid February and the weather was beautiful, so I guess just keep an eye on the forecast, if it doesn't look bad, I definitely recommend these 3 courses over anything you can find in Phoenix or Tucson.

I've only played the Memorial layouts of Vista and Fountain, and I think those are both great as far as open courses are concerned, Fountain is one of my favorite and should definitely be played.

Personally, I believe the original layout at Marana to be now extinct. The birdwatchers are all over it, and last I heard there were no plans to rebuild the levy. The perimeter course? I don't bother to head up there much, and I'm about an hour away.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, everyone. I ended up playing Buffalo Ridge, Fountain Hills, Vista del Camino, Paseo Vista, Los Olivos, Conocido, Fiesta Lakes, and Maricopa Meadows, the latter of which seems to have undergone a significant redesign in early 2015 that makes it quite a bit of fun. If you're local I recommend checking it out again! I updated the course page with the new info and map.

Very nice. All three that I got to hit a couple years ago plus several more. Sounds like a good trip.

Latest posts