• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for startin a DG league....

mccrazy11

i live in a small town and we have a year old DG course. it is getting better with the signs and baskets being set up but our park is to poor to afford to improve the course any further, so i was wanting to start a DG league and see if people will join and help get money for improvements and local tourneys. if you could answer a few questions like should i have a yearly fee to help with the costs and improvements etc....please help

Annual dues to help pay for course improvements is a good start. Organize weekly singles, doubles and/or handicap leagues with a small entry fee (between $5 & $10) and payout 75% of the take in prize money. The club uses the profits to improve courses. Remember to be absolutely transparent about the money and spend it only on course improvements and materials to run events.

Pick a date/time for a weekly league, put the word out on your local website & @ the course, and start running it. You'll have a small turnout at first but people will turn out with time, especially if it's the only course in town. I started one in atlanta and we averaged ~10 people/week the 1st season, ~15 the 2nd and now in the 3rd looking like 20+ average.

$5-$10 is probably a good range to appeal to a wider audience...cheaper is better right now as many are strapped for cash. People should have no problem with $1-$2 from the league going to a course fund. I echo the previous comment about transparency - as long as you're transparent and the $$ goes into the course, people will have no problems.

Start an Ace Pot for league play... but set a low initial cap on it. Say $50 for example; after it hits $50 give half to the club, and start the next pot @ $25. Continue until it is hit, or the league is big enough to raise the cap to $100 or something.

Don't let your club events become sausage fests!:rolleyes:

Jesus, that's all I have been noticing lately. Every day, every course, typical demo... 15-23 year old male Slipknot loving ,chain smoking, dg'ers. Where are the ladies and the diversity?

the guys that do have girls hide them from the 15-23 year old males slipknot loving, chain smoking, Dg'ers....im sorry but I wouldn't be very happy to know a group of guys can't take there eyes off my girl..lol

the guys that do have girls hide them from the 15-23 year old males slipknot loving, chain smoking, Dg'ers....im sorry but I wouldn't be very happy to know a group of guys can't take there eyes off my girl..lol

so true, so true. :)

I brought my wife out to a club play on Tuesday night and everyone was just glad they had their first girl playing. My wife is young (22) so you can take note that she is not a granny.

They were all very respectable.

At my course, we had this unwritten rule that on Sunday mornings ppl would show up and play doubles around 10:30am. I didn't miss a single sunday from early October to Mid December and we had a steady 6-7 players showing up. I stepped in and created an ACE POT Mid December. By Jan. 2009 we had 20+ ppl showing up. Then I brought in Bag Tags, that created a buzz. Then I changed our weekly doubles to $6 to play $1 ACE POT ($1 went into tournament funding) This also could just go to your club funding for (BBQ's, Park Upgrades, etc . . . ) Now as of two weeks ago I have sold 52 bag tags, we are having 50+ ppl show up to play, and I had a disc golfer hit a $217 ACE POT. I had one of our local print shops make a Dry-Erase Board Big Check for me and I had him take a picture with it. I also started a monthly newsletter that goes out to our sponsors and bag tag holders. There are many other things happening and coming in the future, but im doing all of this without having a club! Theres no president, board members, or anything. They had that in the past and it fizzed out. So I decided not to do that. So far, everything is working great! I hope that helps. If you want any more info please feel free to contact me and I'll give more in dept details on how I did some of these activities. [email protected] or 501.837.8878 Doug Trantham

sounds like what we are doing here locally doug, the club has pretty much faded out and two of the guys from the club (not presidents or anything just guys that helped direct from time to time) are still trying to push it..Im trying to help with support and trying to push them to host some events! But they can't technically do anything becuase its not "there club money" so we are kinda in a tough spot...but we do still hold best shot mondays and tuesdays and have a ace fund for $5

Good Stuff- Sponsor Info???

I am looking to start a club too, this info is good advice. Sounds like starting small and working your way up is the way to do, when I get some time I am going to make a website.

Has anyone used discraft's tournament sponsorship for their tourney? If so is it any good. Let me know because would like to put on a nice tournament in a couple of months and would like to get some discs and stuff made.

Well, at least if they can't take their eyes off of her, they won't be playing well. Just play a money game.... ;)

Latest posts