• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tips for the girlfriend

mjwilson

Bogey Member
My girlfriend and I started playing disc golf last year. I played ultimate for years so I have picked it up pretty well and am able to figure out what I am doing wrong and correct it. Unfortunately my girlfriend still struggles. She has good power but usually throws too high and on a hyzer. I don't know the mechanics very well, so I don't know what to tell her other than throw it lower and flatter. I enjoy the company but on bad days she gets really frustrated and wildly inconsistent and it's not much fun for anyone then. Any help on mechanics or dealing with her frustration is appreciated.

OP said:
tips for the girlfriend

Tips, as in plural? Well, aren't you two (or three, or four) the kinky couple...;)

Welcome! I started out the same as your g/f, but I was trying to throw some discs I had no business even owning or thinking of owning. I wish I had started with a cobra until I learned to throw straight. Also, a 150 g DX Valkyrie is a good driver for a noob to practice with.

A guy on here named Donovan will probably send you this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

Seriously, though, you might want to check out Disc Golf Review's site. They have tons of info regarding proper form. It's all in one easy place (unlike here, where it is scattered willy nilly.)

There are even super helpful pictures for gripping correctly, throwing, etc....

My tips:

1. Only give her pointers if she asks. If she's already frustrated, it's not the time to offer unsolicited advice (if you want to keep her around and playing).

2. Keep her using low-speed mids and fairway drivers as they'll lessen the consequences of a bad throw and that hyzer angle.

3. Get someone else to watch her throw and offer her advice....it sounds like she needs to learn to throw with less power, better form, and nose-down.

4. If she's interested, there are some great videos (Discraft, Beato, etc.) that can help her form an image of a more usable throw.

If it is going up high, make sure her weight is oveer he front foot. Seen a few people recently that even when running up they somehow win up shifthe their weight back to their back foot and leaning back.

My tips:

1. Only give her pointers if she asks. If she's already frustrated, it's not the time to offer unsolicited advice (if you want to keep her around and playing).

2. Keep her using low-speed mids and fairway drivers as they'll lessen the consequences of a bad throw and that hyzer angle.

3. Get someone else to watch her throw and offer her advice....it sounds like she needs to learn to throw with less power, better form, and nose-down.

4. If she's interested, there are some great videos (Discraft, Beato, etc.) that can help her form an image of a more usable throw.

I agree with this post. If she's not asking for you to post this and get her advice then don't push it on her. Especially as Volk mentioned about when she's out and frustrated with throwing. But, if she is, and accepting of advice. I'd highly suggest getting her to sit down and watch the Dan Beto driving video's. They're very helpful, and gives a great example of what good form looks like. He was one of Blake T's students from DGR. Blake worked with him in person.

But, if you want good quality information to help her, I too could direct to you to DGR'sTechnique forum and just tell her to read all that info. Which takes a long time. Or you could post video of her, either here on this forum, or on DGR's Video Critique forum and she could get tailored information to her, and hopefully in terms and examples that would better fit her style of throwing.

Last edited:
They are not exactly noob friendly :popcorn:

Since when? It's gotten a lot harder to enforce the "use the search function line", because well let's face it that feature is no longer user friendly. But, we direct them to the correct threads and tell them to read. As that's what they'd have to do anyway if we regurgitated the entire form section back in their thread. :gross:

That and find other women that play. It is amazing how fast women can work out each others issues...it is something we just simply cannot help with. That is why I try to run so many clinics, most guys either end up fighting with or messing up our women's throws.

Since when? It's gotten a lot harder to enforce the "use the search function line", because well let's face it that feature is no longer user friendly. But, we direct them to the correct threads and tell them to read. As that's what they'd have to do anyway if we regurgitated the entire form section back in their thread. :gross:

DGR is suited for established players who are 900 rated. Elitist vibe mixed in with a lack of organization. I have had some good trades and learned from them, but I am afraid to open my mouth over there because I "don't know as much as the experts"

UGH....hope this doesn't sound sexist....most of the really good women I have played with lately have their b/f or husband caddying and they learned their game from them.

That's not to say we can't learn on our own. I have learned a lot by myself, but it has been a lot of time trolling these threads on DGCR, asking what are probably stupid questions, watching videos, and reading Blake's tips (simmer down JukeShoe :)).

you just outed yourself as a woman...be prepared for 100 friend requests :)
Women who can stand us are always welcome and are allowed to ask any question they want.

DGR is suited for established players who are 900 rated. Elitist vibe mixed in with a lack of organization. I have had some good trades and learned from them, but I am afraid to open my mouth over there because I "don't know as much as the experts"

Well, as he described her throw she does sound like she's pre 900 rated. But, that's not to say that she can't learn from DGR. The point you were making with the 900+ rating stuff is that they cater to slightly more than basics technique, and this is by word of Blake himself.But, while the OP never says or really describes her throw to a degree to give us much info. I can say that DGR aren't elitist and are really nice. The people in the Technique section, I for one don't mind even the dumbest questions. But, does't mean we won't correct you, and send you on to the thread that will help you. It's not to be taken in the wrong way, just to get you started. It's not easy, and aren't going to sugar coat it.

Last edited:
my wife just recently started playing. i followed volkgirls advice and just let her figure it out on her own. have her try to just throw short and in the fairway

You guys are great to learn from and very helpful. As long as I take my Ritalin, I can somewhat keep up with you!

Latest posts