• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips from/for a beginner...

DiscerDave

I just started a month ago, and here are the things I wish I knew before my first day on the course...

1) First disc to get is a putter, they are the most stable and easiest to control when you are first learning to throw.
You can tee off with them, and play the whole course with them on your first few times out.

2) Second disc to get is a midrange driver. They can go further than a putter, but are harder to control.
Of course you can get a putter, and midrange driver at the same time, but use the putter on your first few games, to get you off to a good start.
Don't bother with a long range driver, until you get good throwing your putter and your midrange driver.

3) Don't tee off (take your first shot at a hole), until the group ahead of you has finished putting, and is walking away from the hole (basket).
You don't want to take the risk of hitting someone on the fairway, and some people will get upset, if you start a hole before they are finished with it.
You can yell "Clear" or wave your disc in the air, to let the group after you know that you are finished, if you want.

4) Be very careful not to throw if there is someone in the way.
If your throw goes wild, or someone walks in the way, after you throw, yell "FORE" loudly to warn them.
Be careful not to hit someone, or get hit, with a disc. It can cause a serious injury.

5) If you are playing with a group of people, don't start walking towards your thrown disc, until everyone else has thrown.
Stay behind them, so there is little risk they will hit you with a disc, and so they won't be distracted.

6) Bring water to drink, it's a thirsty sport.
Bring a towel if there are water hazards, to dry off a wet disc, or just to wipe the sweat off your face on a hot day.

The usual...ware comfortable shoes for walking, light comfortable clothes, or whatever fits the weather, sun screen, mosquito repellent (if near water), and a baseball cap to keep the sun out of your eyes.
A pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun, and from a stray shot to the face.

A piece of paper, and pencil, or phone with an app, like Udisc, to keep score, if that is your thing (some people just play for fun, without keeping score).
I like to keep score, to see if I am improving, not so much for competitive reasons.

A bag, or something to carry your discs and stuff in, is handy too.

7) And of course, be kind to other players, don't be in a hurry, have sens of humor about missed shots, and most of all...have a good time :thmbup:

See you out on the links.

Last edited:
I like it. Six months in, some things I wish I had known (or wisdom I wish I had listened to):

1. Don't try to throw hard (duh, but we nearly all do the opposite). True for so many reasons. One less obvious reason for this is arm stamina. Not trying to throw hard will let you get in many more reps before your arm gets useless, and will steer you away from injury.

2. Bring a lite snack, like a granola bar, to go with that water. A little pick-me-up for the back 9 is bueno.

3. Invest in good shoes. Disc golf is harder on them than I expected.

4. Bring a golf ball for knocking discs out of trees. Bring a second golf ball for knocking your other golf ball out of the tree.

5. Stay with speed 6 or 7 (like a Leopard or River) until you're nibbling at 300 feet.

6. Have an overstable approach, mid, and fairway in your bag for the windy days.

Tips from an improving newbie

1. Don't start going crazy with buying new discs. After a while they will all seem to fly the same way.
2. Stop at 3 drivers/fairways, 3 midranges, and 1 putter disc. I suggest 3 for each type because I would go with 1 over stable, 1 neutral, and 1 under stable disc to cover the full spectrum of drivers/fairways and midranges. Stick with one putter or you will never have a consistent putt.
3. Even though you would like to throw 300+ foot drives, be happy if you can get to 200 feet. Don't buy anything over Speed 9...just because.
4. If you throw your disc too hard, you will eventually lose it :\
5. Celebrate if you throw a par :clap:

1. Buy a starter pack. These are 'normally' set up for a beginner (there are "starter" packs for more advanced players).
2. If you are playing in a public park with non-golfers around, yell Duck! not Fore!. I have found many non-golfers will look towards whoever yelled Fore! and end up getting hit. Duck is pretty much universally understood.
3. Have fun!

What I've learned since September:

1. Don't go too crazy on buying discs. (Easier said than done).
2. Once you pare your bag down to 4 or 5 discs from the dozens you bought, the ones you originally bought will probably be in there.
3. Slow down your throw a bit.
4. Learn what the numbers on the disc mean and then use the right one for the shot. If they aren't stamped, look them up and write them on the back with a Sharpie.
5. It's ok to treat a Par 3 as a Par 4 during the early months.
6. Don't beat yourself up over a bad round. You aren't a pro.........yet. It's gonna take time.
7. Learning hyzer flips and flex shots is extremely satisfying, especially when you start nailing them.
8. As someone else said, buy a good pair of shoes with good support. (probably THE most important thing)
9. Brightly colored discs are easy to keep sight of.

Latest posts