• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on DIY Disc Targets

DGDawg

Bogey Member
So i've been watching all these videos on youtube and stuff on how to build your own disc golf basket for your back yard. They use all these different materials to construct the base and basket part. :\

What about just using the base of a circular charcoal grill? It already is made to stand outdoors and temper the weather. It has a nice tripod base usually and has the circular barrel where you put your charcoal. And to top it off, it's already connected everywhere. Then you could theoretically use the lid of the circular charcoal grill as the top of the basket and connect chains, or whatever else for catching the discs, to the rim of the lid. Put in a pole of some sort from the lid to the base and you've got yourself a disc golf basket.

I'm sure there are some people out there smart enough to even rig the pole from the base to the lid to collapse in on itself so you could drop the lid down and sit it on the base to store your chains and other stuff inside when it's not in use. Then it'd just look like a regular grill again! :hfive:

Anyone ever done this or seen this done before?

I googled "Barbecue Disc Golf Basket" and found this. I know one like this has been posted in one of the homemade basket threads here too.

CIMG01721-e1401857047272.jpg

I googled "Barbecue Disc Golf Basket" and found this. I know one like this has been posted in one of the homemade basket threads here too.

CIMG01721-e1401857047272.jpg

Haha great. I guess I could've googled it myself :doh: but it's way more fun to talk to people about it on here. I'd say we could call this one of the shortest threads out there now.

I'd probably find a way to not use the pole out of the bottom of the base though. Thanks for sharing.

It's a great idea since you get everything but the center pole and chains. It's just too bad the chains are the most expensive item in putting a basket together. :(

I was thinking of cutting up a water hose into segments for the repurposing of chains. I wonder how the designer of that barbecue basket gets it to close down The pole seems to go all the way through..

i always thought the bamboo windchimes one was pretty cool

Agreed. I think prerube made one.

I was thinking of cutting up a water hose into segments for the repurposing of chains. I wonder how the designer of that barbecue basket gets it to close down The pole seems to go all the way through..

I'm sure it slides out somehow.

My grill has a center pole as the stand and then has three feet for the tripod. The pole is hollow so if i can cut out the hole in the base of the grill and then cut two small pin holes in the sides of the base pole and the extendable pole I could lock them with the pins and then pull the pins out for the extendable pole to fall down into the hollow base pole. I think that's my plan for now atleast.

We have developed the cheapest, and hardest tonal I have seen. Each tonal is simply rebar for the "pole" and the tonal itself is a piece of steel post with a cap to hold it in place. As suc the target is only the width of a pole. They are cheap to make, easy to move around and great for scoping new holes or where you don't want to spend alot of money. They are super tough to putt on, but if you can hit them consistently, then you will sink putts on baskets all day long

I made mine from conduit, 55 gallon barrel, and a bike rim. I spent 60 bucks just on 2/0 chain. a week later a discatcher sport came up for 100 bucks on craigslist. my advice is to not build a diy basket. eventhough I love building stuff and have all the tools I would be much happier with a discatcher sport. my basket catches great, mainly because of the 2/0 chain. another reason to buy a real basket is most are pdga approved, meaning you can use them in a round.

I was hoping to just spend about 40 bucks on the chains and manufacture everything else. I just thought the idea of doing it myself was fun too. Thanks for the tips everyone.

I love DIY stuff! I built 9 permanent baskets for my home course and they have held up really well. I found the chain for pretty cheap and ended up manufacturing 9 baskets for less than 300$.

The basket needs to be raised about 3 inches on this one because drunk golfers like to stand on them for some reason.

Last edited: