• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on Steep Downhill Drives

I can't see it making much difference, FH or BH downhill. On steep uphill shots where my stance is on the hill and I can't run up, I find I can get a little more on a FH throw.

One thought on big downhills is that, if you can reach it with an overhand or a putter, do so. If you can reach it with a big hyzer, or a least an overstable disc thrown out level and fading at the basket, do so. But if you can't, then throw somewhat parallel to the slope for maximum distance.

Depending on the distance, a putter or mid would be a good idea. For long downhill shots, I still think a driver is more accurate. As far as throwing too high goes, one thing worth remembering is sometimes your balance will affect the elevation of your shot. If my center of gravity is a little behind my plant foot upon release, the throw usually flies up. If my center of gravity is a little in front of my plant foot, the throw usually goes down. Now I'm not saying you should be falling forward after your drive, but trying to keep your balance slightly forward will help.

The main thing to consider with FH vs BH when dealing with slopes is hyzering into the hill. If land slopes left higher than right throw BH, if right higher than left throw FH. Hyzering into the hill allows for higher percentage shots and takes a big downhill fade out of the equation.

Great advice about the putters. Since it's downhill, it probably plays alot shorter than it is, so you should be able to downgrade to a mid or even a putter, throw a straight line and watch it sail.

For me...problem shots are down hill for the first 300 and then levels out and starts going slightly back up, turning, etc, etc. Then you need to throw it higher, hyzer/anny as needed, etc, etc. All the while trying to avoid hanging tree branches, etc, etc. Fun but oh so challenging drives.

Ok I have to ask. What makes a putter a better choice. Also BH and FH. Since I'm 90% FH off the tee this got my attention. I have a 400 foot hole which is +50 feet down.

Putters can go a long, long way down hill. Plus they tend to go straight and not take that big fade. I have made some really cool drives with my Opto Pure. But any good driving putter should do the trick.
Putters will tend to flip over. Try a stable mid-range to get the long, straight flight you are looking for.
Throw parallel to the ground as has been mentioned before.

Ok I have to ask. What makes a putter a better choice. Also BH and FH. Since I'm 90% FH off the tee this got my attention. I have a 400 foot hole which is +50 feet down.

For that kind of distance I would definitely say a driver. Maybe a mid, but a driver would probably be easier (unless you can throw 500-600 feet). Me personally, I would throw a neutral straight flying driver. Keep it on a low line which will have it turn slightly right, go a long ways before eventually fading. I only bring out the mids and putters for downhill shots when they're shorter.

Now, if the hole in question was 400 feet with a 100-150 foot drop, that would change things. Then I would go down to a slightly overstable midrange.

Are you talking Hiestand hole 3? Beware of the wind there: the right to left wind makes it very easy to turn your putter over unless you've got excellent control. I've thrown a Buzzz there with some success, but for me, the most consistent disc is an overstable control driver (1.2 QOLF). I can throw it pretty much the same way in all wind conditions because of its overstability, and the wind is what you're really tussling with there. I've thrown a putter in calm conditions before, but the best result for me with an Ion or Anode puts me about 40' or so feet from the basket (never birdied with a putter).

It's possible to get a putter there, but it's not the best decision. On paper, it's a at least a midrange hole, but in reality 99% of players throw drivers and play the fade to the pin.

I use a Nuke OS or Drone, or something like that. I know that they aren't going to glide hundreds of feet to the left. I throw them out to the right, they fade about 50', and even if they aren't to the ground in that 50' they're moving 100% vertically.

A 400 foot hole that is 50 feet downhill is easily reachable with a mid. I suggest a comet for this shot.

Not if you're facing the kind of wind my 400' downhill shot pretty much always has going on. Like I said in my post above, on paper 400' with 50' of elevation change looks like a mid shot at least, except when it's not.

If anything, on the hole I'm talking about, you need the stability of a Buzzz at least, and that's when it's relatively calm out. Otherwise it's driver all day.

I'm mostly fh off the tee as well. holes as you describe with some airspace I'd likely throw a beast or sl fh with mid power..

trees and tighter? tee-rex or x-cal flat to the hill and firm

Putters will tend to flip over. Try a stable mid-range to get the long, straight flight you are looking for.
Throw parallel to the ground as has been mentioned before.

True if you don't practice or know how to throw them. I've thrown a Pure quite a ways down hills in the mountains with no flippage. Probably close to 400' on a really big downhill.

I choose the slowest, most overstable disc I can use to get the shot I'm after.

I play a lot up at Mt. Bachelor, which from hole 6 to hole 18, the course drops about 1300', so I've thrown a couple of these types of shots. My Drone (RIP, I'll always miss you), Demons, and HPP Wizard get thrown more often than not on these types of holes.

I choose over stable for a couple reasons:

1) Little glide, I just have to worry about getting the disc to the pin, if it does, it won't go much past.

2) Wind. Usually there is more wind on a hill than if it were flat.

3) Little chance to turn. I know this is more of a combination of the two factors above, but after you watch a disc turn and travel for over 1000', this point gains more importance.

A thumber or traditional overhand if you have the ceiling for the shot, can be very effective, but they can also get possessed and roll or skip further than expected with the incline.

I throw FH probably 80% off the tee but on these types of holes I usally throw a standstill BH with a Opto Fuse or VIP Warship and have had good success. If there isn't a low ceiling to worry about I'm throwing a 11x Champ Firebird Thumber which usually works out really well to. Like others have said a good stable putter like a BB Aviar or Wizard work really well. Just experiment and see what works best for you.