• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tired of Lurking, Ready to Join In

bigpappayo

Hi everybody,

Just started playing in January 13. I'm hooked. Found the DGCR site looking for reviews on courses, joined in April and been lurking the forums off & on gleaning tips & tricks since then. Finally decided to pull the trigger & join in on all the fun. So here's my first post.

A little bit about me- Of course I went the noob route and bought a ton of DDs (Monarch, Beast, Boss, & Nuke to name a few) because all the advice from the guys I was playing with was "farther, faster, harder is best" and surprise, surprise, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the heck I was meathooking in the opposite direction from the basket and taking 3 or 4 throws to get there while everybody else was parking right up next to it in one or two throws.

"Stepped down" to a Valkyrie, Sting Ray and a Skeeter and my game actually improved (a little). They were dx plastic, cheap and available at the local Wally World. I didn't quite comprehend that they were Fairway Drivers and slower than the Distance Drivers.

Then I picked up a Lat64 River and an MVP Proton Anode on a road trip almost by accident. Had no idea what they were, they just "looked really cool" and they weren't Innova discs. Not knocking Innova, it was just the first time I'd been somewhere where the store actually carried something BESIDES Innova and I wanted to try something different.

Those two discs were a game changer. When I got back to my home course, on the first round I played, I threw 4 birdies (I'd only ever gotten two before that since January) and shaved ten strokes off my previous personal best. I was in love.

Then when I hit up YouTube to find out more about the River and the Anode, I quickly found DiscGolfNerd, GoHam, and thediscgolfvids.

The DiscGolfNerd and Big John form GoHam gave some pretty positive reviews on the MVP and Lat64 discs but Mike C (from thediscgolfvids) was the one that made me see the light at the end of the tunnel with what he had to say in his "Beginner Disc Selection Advice" video about why you should start with FDs and Putters as opposed to DDs. His explanation finally helped me figured out the reason I was meathooking those DDs so bad was because they were just too much disc for me and all of a sudden it made perfect sense why I was able to throw the (slower) FDs, MRs & Putters better than the (faster) DDs with all the Pros names on them.

If you're new to Disc Golf, I HIGHLY recommend checking out that video.

Guess I better stop before this turns into a novel but anyway, that's my story (and it's actually the abridged version). Anyway, just wanted to say hey, fill you in on where I was coming from and I hope to see you guys around the threads!

Welcome. Enjoy your stay!

A little bit about me- Of course I went the noob route and bought a ton of DDs (Monarch, Beast, Boss, & Nuke to name a few) because all the advice from the guys I was playing with was "farther, faster, harder is best" and surprise, surprise, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the heck I was meathooking in the opposite direction from the basket and taking 3 or 4 throws to get there while everybody else was parking right up next to it in one or two throws.

"Stepped down" to a Valkyrie, Sting Ray and a Skeeter and my game actually improved (a little). They were dx plastic, cheap and available at the local Wally World. I didn't quite comprehend that they were Fairway Drivers and slower than the Distance Drivers.

Dude, I wrote the book on being a dumb n00b and figuring out how to throw speed suitable discs. Discing Down Adventures ;)

Not only am I amazed that I actually undertook something and got wildly rewarded but amazingly my 'adventure' was very helpful for others as well. If only Mike C had been making his vids when I was a n00b. :eek:

Welcome to best sport nobody knows about.

Greetings in St. Augustine! My brother lives about 40 miles west in Green Cove Springs.

Dude, I wrote the book on being a dumb n00b and figuring out how to throw speed suitable discs. Discing Down Adventures ;)

Wow, what a great thread. :clap: Thanks for sharing the link.

Just browsed the first page of the thread and I'm basically doing the same thing you did only I'm going with MVPs and Lat64s instead of Innova and Discraft*.

*Note- As soon as my new portable basket gets here, I will be practice putting in the backyard when I can't get to the course with 5 DX Rhynos ranging from 170-175 (Love those putters) and I'm definitely keeping the Skeeter and Stingray in the bag. They're both starting to beat in really well; the Skeeter's really good for tunnel shots and I get the prettiest backhand anny outta that Stingray you've ever seen.

Heavy sigh. And I only have 150 pages of "A Clash of Kings" to go too. And it looks like I won't be finishing it any time soon either. George RR Martin, step aside, I gots a new favorite author. If I can view Discing Down Adventures on my POS tablet's browser, it looks like it's gonna be a long night!

The disc you have as your avatar is up for pre-order at Disc Nation. Just trying to help with the addiction

DUDE! is he a DG addict? There's a couple of us that try to play RVZP every couple of weeks or so. Tell him to hit me up!
LOL! He is sooooo not into DG.

But next time I make the trip down to visit him, I'll give you a shout.

Welcome to the addiction. I too did the same thing. Bought every dang thing speed 11 and up. Got on here because i just couldn't figure out why those dang discs didn't fly right. I now throw nothing faster than a beast, and that is only on open holes. Mostly throwing valks, teebirds and tls and i get them further than i ever did my destroyer. As a matter of fact i threw a 298 foot hole with the tl today and stuck it in the side of the basket. Pretty soon here i am gonna pull out that destroyer just to see what i can do with it. LOL.

Welcome Bigpapyayo from another lurker who took the plunge. It is odd how our experiences are alike. Going to the DD too early. Discovering other discs besides Innova, but still respecting them. And liking the MVP Anode.
BTW, how is the Lat 64 River treating you? Beginner friendly? Currently relying on my Leopards (Champ & Pro) for my 250+ drives.

^Welcome to both of you guys. When I spent a summer discing down I relied heavily on my Leopard and loved it. Then I found the River and it is very similar but longer and glidier with less effort.
Enjoy the journey.

Welcome Bigpapyayo from another lurker who took the plunge. It is odd how our experiences are alike. Going to the DD too early. Discovering other discs besides Innova, but still respecting them. And liking the MVP Anode.
BTW, how is the Lat 64 River treating you? Beginner friendly? Currently relying on my Leopards (Champ & Pro) for my 250+ drives.

I have to say it's treating me very well. Still trying to learn how to throw it in the wind but it holds whatever line you put it on tight as a string. It's fast becoming my go to disc for distance.