• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

first pred just picked it up. so far compares well enough to a firebird. but the bird seems a better tommy/thumber.

Attachments

• zpred_1343154979499.jpg
    zpred_1343154979499.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 69
Hmm. Well the Preds in my bag at the moment aren't as pretty as that.. But here ya go:

ESP FLX:
20120724_143424.jpg

(It's been with me so long, I figured it deserved a name)

Z:
20120724_143445.jpg

It's hard to get a picture that really shows just how thrashed sweet ol', fat Brenda is. But there really is not a single surface left on her that isn't scuffed or dented. I've had this baby since the FLX pred was released (mid 07??? I can't really remember. I know it came after the Surge and Buzzz, though.) It is very flat (flatter than my other FLX pred) and incredibly overstable. Even after 5 years of use. More OS than the pearly Z pictured above.

The predator is one of the best fairway molds ever. I carry a new Z, old Z and an ESP and they all get plenty of great use. Forehand, backhand, they are magical. My favorite is the ESP just because it's a little more workable on different lines since it's the most beat right now, but I would be completely lost without a few of these in my bag...

But the one thing I love about my Pred that no Firebird, xXx, Tsunami or any other disc can match is the skip on the end of the shot. I know these other discs will skip, but something about the Pred makes it skip farther. I can't tell you how many near aces I've had off the skip. (One day, it WILL happen)

^ This. The skip you get is incredible.

These are the Predators in my bag right now. A seasoned Z for windy day duties, flick rollers, skip shots and slow panning thumbers; and three X Predators ranging from newish (orange), seasoned to straight (yellow) and thrashed to hell and back (ugly ass white with faded Raiders dye). I love the X Predator, always have a few in the bag, and they usually see about 75% of my driver shots. I can work the thrashed one on a long hyzer flip for mega distance, and I can drop back on the seasoned yellow one and throw a low 325ft frozen rope.

IMAGE_DBC73FA7-684D-42E1-8939-99DD06ECBC7B.JPG

From my experiences, the flatter the FLX plastic, the more OS it is. FLX plastic has a lot of haters, but I love it for what I use it for.

my FLX pred is strictly used for overhand stuff OR big spike hyzers that I really need to stick where it lands, but I do really, really love it. It's the longest surviving disc in my bag. Anything before her has been lost or I no longer throw that mold. My beat Eagle is a close second, though.

[edit]: Cool old reaper, btw. I have a soft spot in my heart for Reapers.... First disc I ever purchased (I was young and stupid, and had nobody to teach me otherwise)

I have a z pred I use for hyzer bounce shots. Like with the basket behind a tree. Throw a high hyzer shot to land next to the tree. 9/10 it bounces in! It's awesome.

Here's my Pred collection -- aka. "The Predilection"
Doesn't include the Preds I have in my bag.

Top Row is all new mold Preds and Elite X Preds. Some beer stamps (I collect beer stamped discs) etc.

Bottom row is all old mold. Two of those being first runs, one signed by McCabe. A couple more Elite Xs.

IMG_2148.jpg

I'd post a pic of my new Z Pred since it inspired this thread in the first place, but from what I'm seeing the camera doesn't do her justice. Plus who wants to see a brand new disc? It's hot pink with that "burst" to the molding that is hard to describe but I've previously had on a select few other Z or Champion discs. Almost like a sunburst from the center of the disc, but without any dye. I'm itching to get out and heave it into a few trees now after reading all of this Predator love. I've been busy being semi-bored by the new Batman and fully bored by being at work. I need to get out and throw so I can relate!

Haha, mine's nothing to brag about... But the pearl color stamp made me want it so much. only got the one.

376932_10151053872462748_403705697_n.jpg

hey guys just curious if anyone has a pic of the old mold vs new mold pred? Or if anyone knew if there was a big visual difference? I have been throwing the Elite-X lately and LOVE IT..I was told all elite-x were the old mold but after looking at the one in my bag vs a couple used ones i got off here they kind feel different but hard for me to see a difference.. i think i can but then again my eyes arent that great lol.. i even tried vs old and new stamp elite-z's .. The Elite-X in my bag does have the new "discraft" font at the top where my others have the old font but other then that im not really sure .. ill try and get pics this afternoon

Latest posts