• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To smoke, or not to smoke, that is the question

A new course in Sarasota FL (Payne Park) had declared the whole park a no smoking zone. Grumpy old disc golfers were openly smoking thier nasty cancer sticks anyway.

But rather because that great government that allows and taxes the **** out of cigarettes has been limiting the places that its ok to use them. Someday once the brilliant govt has taken smoking out of all the public places and a method with better results to quit smoking have emerged, they will be kicking their own ass for all the tax money they are losing.

My understanding is regardless of the amount of tax money generated the drain on the healthcare system from smokers far out weigh the amount of tax dollars received. It may be different in 'Murica but that is the case here in Canada.

Myself personally I would love to see all parks and public spaces smoke free and I have a feeling it isn't that far in the future. It will never stop people from smoking as others have noted drinking in public is illegal in most places as is the other smoking found in DG but it isn't a deterrent to me or 100% of the golfers I know.

I read this thread and now I'm going outside to have a smoke. I hope I don't give the neighbor cancer. :rolleyes:

I don't think its illegal to smoke in the parks in AZ. I do notice that people do smoke while playing dg, but I rarely find butts at the park. It is a multi use park, so the butts could come from teenagers visiting the park. My biggest gripe about a decent amount of cigarrette smokers is they are inconsiderate by throwing butts on the ground and not caring whos around when they smoke. I smoke pipe tobacco out of a pipe, but i dont smoke when I am not sure how others around me will react, such as other families inthe park. Im not the only smoker in my dg group, but we make sure to not bother other people.

Courses around central Ohio have no policy against smoking. The main thing I see is no alcohol but nobody abides by that on my home course. I like a tidy course so as long as butts or whatever else is picked up its alllllll good.

this kind of thing pisses me off. im guessing maybe 5-10 percent of the population smoke (myself included) so how is it fair that the other 90-95 percent can make laws that affect the few. its utilitarian garbage. i thought immanuel Kant blew utilitarianism out of the water a long time ago. i agree indoors it should be banned. but outside, is crazy. and dont give the the second hand smoke crap. the largest scale study on second hand smoke that all these a-holes tout as proof, in its own scientists and authors words stated the the results are inconclusive and further studies need to be done. im paraphrasing here "you should have rights as extensive as possible without impeding on the rights of someone else". your want to not smell cigarettes does not outweigh my right to smoke. I am a responsible smoker i clean all my buts up and try to not smoke near non-smokers. i know a lot are not considerate and you should get tickets for littering. Sometimes i feel like a second rate citizen for smoking.

Lol I love this thread. Not because of the content of the OP, cause that is a scary idea that hasn't made it here yet. But rather because that great government that allows and taxes the **** out of cigarettes has been limiting the places that its ok to use them. Someday once the brilliant govt has taken smoking out of all the public places and a method with better results to quit smoking have emerged, they will be kicking their own ass for all the tax money they are losing.

By the time that happens, the other stuff will be legal and getting the crap taxed out of it. That'll make up for some of it anyway.

Gianetics- you are in the minority of smokers as a responsible smoker. Way too many other smokers just dont care if they leave their butts on the ground and just smoke where they want disregarding everyone else. Most seem to enjoy doing that, from what ive noticed. Although all of the dgers ive seen are responsible as well. The general population of smokers are doing that, and are effectively causing stricter regulations on themselves.

your want to not smell cigarettes does not outweigh my right to smoke.

while i agree with just about everything you said, this sentence makes you seem like an idiot.

think about what you said. my 'want' to not smell your cigarettes is every bit as valid as your WANT to smoke, not your right. while you CHOOSE to smoke, someone that is trying to enjoy the park and gets a 'whiff' of that smoke does not have the choice but to smell it/breath it in/etc. essentially you're forcing it on them unless one of you moves. while i think its extreme, you can't deny someone their RIGHT to clean air if its their wish, when you're making the conscious CHOICE to smoke.

again, i'm not a smoker, but i do support outdoor smoking rights to the fullest. its all about being a responsible human being and being aware and respectful of your surroundings.

i think a lot could be fixed by imposing a huge fine for littering cigarettes butts. somewhere in the $100.00 range for first offence then jumping it up to 500 after that . i hate going to the beach and seeing cigarettes butts everywhere. smoke, put them out, then throw them in your bag, pocket, or anywhere u want just not the ground.

i think a lot could be fixed by imposing a huge fine for littering cigarettes butts. somewhere in the $100.00 range for first offence then jumping it up to 500 after that . i hate going to the beach and seeing cigarettes butts everywhere. smoke, put them out, then throw them in your bag, pocket, or anywhere u want just not the ground.

Agreed. I carry around a zip lock bag to put my butts in. Boise council banned smoking in bars.. which I agree with.. but this park as a whole is almost 10 acres. The majority of disc golfers here do smoke.. me included.. and as far as I know nobody has received a ticket. So I deem the law pointless if they arent even going to enforce it.

while i agree with just about everything you said, this sentence makes you seem like an idiot.

think about what you said. my 'want' to not smell your cigarettes is every bit as valid as your WANT to smoke, not your right. while you CHOOSE to smoke, someone that is trying to enjoy the park and gets a 'whiff' of that smoke does not have the choice but to smell it/breath it in/etc. essentially you're forcing it on them unless one of you moves. while i think its extreme, you can't deny someone their RIGHT to clean air if its their wish, when you're making the conscious CHOICE to smoke.

again, i'm not a smoker, but i do support outdoor smoking rights to the fullest. its all about being a responsible human being and being aware and respectful of your surroundings.

what im getting at, laws about cigarettes smoking is just going to be the first of many laws on personal freedoms if Americans don stand up. just because you dont something, doesn't mean you cant relate and put yourself in shoes of someone else (and i empathize with you. you dont like smelling my smoke so i do my best to keep it away from you). what if one of the things you did which gave you enjoyment was suddenly deemed undesirable and suddenly law after law was lobbied and passed against it. thats how i feel. There is now no smoking at candlestick park. i went to the 49er seahawk game. no smoking area you must leave the park, ok thats fine but wait once you leave you cant come back in. so now people are smoking everywhere instead of just one area. there are butts everwhere cops and security are now dealing with smoking instead of real problems its almost a joke they just walk by and tell you to put it out and when you dont they just keep going. so why not lets just ban smoking altogether because we saw how well Prohibition worked. i remember when the speed limit was lowed to 55 it was Eire seeing everyone going so slowly. that lasted a few days then everyone just started driving like there at the Daytona 500.

what im getting at, laws about cigarettes smoking is just going to be the first of many laws on personal freedoms if Americans don stand up. just because you dont something, doesn't mean you cant relate and put yourself in shoes of someone else (and i empathize with you. you dont like smelling my smoke so i do my best to keep it away from you). what if one of the things you did which gave you enjoyment was suddenly deemed undesirable and suddenly law after law was lobbied and passed against it. thats how i feel. There is now no smoking at candlestick park. i went to the 49er seahawk game. no smoking area you must leave the park, ok thats fine but wait once you leave you cant come back in. so now people are smoking everywhere instead of just one area. there are butts everwhere cops and security are now dealing with smoking instead of real problems its almost a joke they just walk by and tell you to put it out and when you dont they just keep going. so why not lets just ban smoking altogether because we saw how well Prohibition worked. i remember when the speed limit was lowed to 55 it was Eire seeing everyone going so slowly. that lasted a few days then everyone just started driving like there at the Daytona 500.

i'm totally with you. i also believe that unless you're sucking 2nd hand smoke right out of the face of a smoker that it is pretty darn harmless. Its easier to appease the 90% rather than fight them, unfortunately, even when it comes down to basic rights. however, we've got to keep an open mind about the non-smokers as well, as they have the same rights. while i empathize with the non-smokers, i think its mostly blown out of proportion. the only ones you really hear about are the extremists that bitch about how their baby is going to get cancer from your smoking when you're 50 ft away.

Latest posts