• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To throw in or not to throw in...

To throw or not to

• Never tee off until the previous players have holed out.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Hell yeah throw on those inconsiderate mofos.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Tee off when they are out of reach, maybe they'll notice and let you play through.

Votes: 47 56.0%

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Is it ever ok to tee off on a hole even if players in front of you haven't holed out yet? I usually maintain perfect etiquette and wait for people to hole out before drive BUT everyone here has played at least one round where they get behind some etiquette clueless douchebags who despite the fact there are many of them and one of you refuse to acknowledge your presence back there and even throw multiple discs (usually badly). So, is it ok to throw in on these guys, kind of like a warning shot, or not at all, or start driving when you know there is no way in hell you'll be able to throw far enough to hit them because it's a long hole. Those are your options.

I always want to have a clear hole before my drive, but if its getting backlogged behind me and there's a group in front not letting me play through I will drive once I believe they are out of range and then yell "fore" anyways just to give them the hint.

no matter how slow im playing i would never want someone throwing a disc towards me just cause they think i am "out of range", so i give others the same respect

I usually try and yell down to them first to let them know that I want to throw. Most of the time they see me and wave me up. Otherwise I will try and throw as soon as they have finished the hole so that I might be able to catch them at the next tee pad.

if i wave someone on or they wave me on thats fine, i dont mind that at all...but when you are about to putt and a disc slides up to your feet, now thats a different story lol

I know how far I can throw and when we're talking 800' holes we will tee off when they are 500'+ down the fairway or when they are around some unreachable dogleg. Otherwise, those long holes can really get backed up if everyone waited for the people in front of them to hole out. And that's just playing with "normal" dg'ers in front of me. I actually consider it good etiquette to keep the course flowing if there's no chance in hell you're going to hit the people in front of you and people are waiting behind you. Imagine waiting till someone holes out on a 800' hole while groups just keep piling up behind you and then you throw it 300' into the woods...what do you think all those groups behind you think of your etiquette?

^for sure. I know I can't go over 300 feet yet so I'll wait until they are at least 400 before I throw but still if I'm doing it, its my way of saying I'm done being patient with you. Its not like I'd do it on the first hole a group slows me up. But if I think you are being inconsiderate after being given many chances to prove otherwise, I'll return the favor. No matter what though, I'd never throw if I thought there's any kind feasability that I could hit someone.

fortunatly i dont throw it 300 feet into the woods. the course i play almost daily is more open than wooded, and the longest hole is 500' but most range from 300-400....in the case of an 800 footer i can see traffic being a problem

I went to Charlotte, NC and played there monday, and tuesday.
At Sugaw I came up on a group of 5 and one of the guys was throwing multiples on every throw. Good thing when I caught up with them it was hole 17, and they didn't even use the mando. After they finished the hole I parked it and birdied out. I made it to the tee pad of 18 right at the time they finished driving and still at the pad. They didn't even offer me to play through. I was a little upset because I was trying to play through quickly due to having 3 more courses on the adgenda. Well I guess you get that sometimes. It just upset me a little.

It really depends on the length of the hole.

On a very long hole, once the card in front has cleared %70 of the fairway I think it is not a problem to tee.

etiquette clueless douchebags

Hey, you folks have ECD's too?

We always say it is a buck per throw... and any direct contact with an ECD pays $5.

:^/

i usally wait or sometimes try to skip to the next hole but if its some of those ECDs who will look back at you see you waving your disc for the last 3 holes but just keep turning their back to you not letting you skip to the next hole because some of their group is driving while the others are still putting out, then ill wait for them to get further down by the basket and as soon as i get some eye contact its bombs away , if their like most of the ecd noobs they figure you suck and cant throw as far as them and wont dignify your weak throw until it hits them in the side of the face from about 350.

some of the newer people just dont know the etiqutte so if your not sure they can see you dont throw but if they watch you throw then turnaround and it hits them thats their fault . The worst is the long time players in big groups who know the right way but just dont care, if they see you leaning against the tee sign for 2-3 minutes every hole and dont let you play through then they are basically calling you out so bust out your most overstable disc and go for it .

I've only done it a few times, and it's only on holes where there is a backup of people and it's way past my distance. We have a few holes at a nearby course that are 650+ feet, I'll occasionally throw when the people in front of me are putting, but unless I have the drive of my life I won't be anywhere near them

If I don't think I can actually hit them I will tee off and try to get their attention.

It is not okay to throw when someone is on the hole in front of you...in most cases. If someone is taking several throws, you may yell to see if it is okay to see if you can go ahead and play through, but you shouldn't throw when they don't know it's coming. I think it is also okay to throw if you know that they are out of your range, but they should be WELL out of range before you do this. It kinda sucks when you are putting and a disc comes flying in...even if it is 50 feet behind you, it is still distracting and causes you to feel rushed. If someone does this to me, I usually tell them to just play through because I don't want to deal with them for the whole round.

You are just as etiquette clueless as they are if you tee off with a group infront of you.

The proper thing to do is ask to play through, if they are considerate enough, they will offer for you or your group to play through.

I can't believe "Tee off when they are out of reach, maybe they'll notice and let you play through" is winning the vote.

in most cases its not cool to throw until people are holed out , but if your out there partying with your cooler and your 4ft bong taking 2-3 shots extra shots per hole be considerate know that your going really slow and as soon as you see someone behind playing seriously stop what your doing give the guy some eye contact and let him play through , on the other hand if your group is playing right and being awhere of people behind you and some douch cant wait 30 seconds for you to finishing putting then you dont deserve to be bombed on just make sure as soon as you putt out to wave them on .

You are just as etiquette clueless as they are if you tee off with a group infront of you.

The proper thing to do is ask to play through, if they are considerate enough, they will offer for you or your group to play through.

I can't believe "Tee off when they are out of reach, maybe they'll notice and let you play through" is winning the vote.
sure let me just walk the length of a football field ask for some consideration to people who dont give sh** then ask them to wait as i run back to the teebox and then wait some more as i catch my breath then throw a horriable shot because im now completly out of rythem then watch them wait a little then go ahead because im taking to long to putt out then start the same thing over on the next hole.:rolleyes:

You're right. You should ask first before throwing on them...that is just as much etiquette and common courtesy as it is to not linger on a hole when someone is ready to tee off.
This doesn't mean that you have to run all the way up to them obviously, but you should at least yell to see if they will let you play through. If they ignore you, then that may be the time to throw etiquette out the window.
Keep in mind that we do have hearing impaired disc golfers out there too :)

If someone is moving faster than me, I try to be wary and let them play through - so I expect it from others. If I can't hit them I throw and then try to meet them on the next tee. When I'm by myself - I've never had someone not let me go through.

Latest posts