• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To throw in or not to throw in...

To throw or not to

• Never tee off until the previous players have holed out.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Hell yeah throw on those inconsiderate mofos.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Tee off when they are out of reach, maybe they'll notice and let you play through.

Votes: 47 56.0%

• Total voters
the problem with trying to get ahead of these groups is they are very hard to get in front of since they dont have the respect to wait for their group to finish putting before they tee off so not only do you have to skip that hole your on but then because they have already thrown you have to skip the next hole just to get ahead of them .( do you guys mind if i cut in front im trying to play fast as im by myself not in a group of 8 ,sure i dont mind f***ing up my round by skipping these holes as i also didnt mind waiting at the last three holes which took 30 minutes which is usally how long it takes to play this 9 hole course but you know what while im skipping these holes i think im gonna just walk to my car and leave as i dont have time to finish my round but good luck , oh wait you dont need good luck because your not even keeping score have a good day im a stupid doormat feel free to wipe your shoes off before i leave).

The groups of 6 or more...I call'em Festival Groups... definitely slow play for everyone else out on a course. But it seems that asking these groups to pay attention to their surroundings....like...open hole in front of them and 2 groups on the tee behind them....is well...asking too much. Its kinda funny to watch these groups hyzering discs willy nilly, playing catch while walking up the fairway, tossing discs at the basket from all directions at the same time, finishing a hole while a playing partner is still out in the schule looking for a disc, entire group then returns to assist partner in finding disc, that guy finishes the hole, Festival saunters to next tee and starts all over. When they bring out the hacky sacs, I know the Circus has come to town.

I know my range and I'll tee off if the group ahead is clear and my shot isn't gonna land remotely ( 75' or so) close.

We have run into large groups a couple times locally and they have always been very nice and very considerate. Last week we played Roswell Park and a group of 6 or so had just finished 1 when we came up on it. We caught up to them on 3 where they were all waiting for us so we could play through.

We told them someone else was coming up too and they let him play through as well.

He caught up to us on the next hole and we let him play through at 5 where we witnessed his skip ace.

We know we are slower than an average 2 person group but are faster than a 4 person group so it is nice to see that others have the courtesy that we have.

We always let singles play through and really anyone else that catches us. I don't think that people should have to skip holes because of other players.

I also do not like driving while others are still out on course...especially since my drives are wildly varying right now and can be from 150-400' you never know when you could hit someone. I also do not like feeling rushed so I would not want to do that to someone else either.

I know that I cannot throw over 300-325' so if the next group is 400' away I have no problem going ahead and throwing. In fact, I think it helps to save time. For example, I played a tourney this weekend with 105 people on an 18 hole course, so on the long holes we would go ahead and throw once the next group was far enough down- better than having a 5 hour round. It just comes down to common sense- if you have no chance of hitting them, why not throw.

And in the case of the people that take too long and don't let you play through, whether it is a festival or only a couple of them, I will go ahead and throw one close so they get the hint.

I'm surprised no one has talked about the opposite situation- how often do people throw when you are clearly not out of the way? It hasn't happened yet, but if I get hit by a disc of some impatient a-hole I'm keeping it and not telling him so he wastes an hour looking for it. The course I typically play on only has one hole longer than 300 and about half under 200, so noone should be teeing off before the group in front has holed.

I grew up from a very young age playing ball golf.
In golf, as long as the group in front is out of reach, you may shoot.
I don't see it as any different on a disc golf course. Besides, in my experience, it's a reminder that you're back there and would like to play through. I've never had any problem. If I did hit someone, the player is part of the course and I'd throw it where it landed.

I'm surprised no one has talked about the opposite situation- how often do people throw when you are clearly not out of the way? It hasn't happened yet, but if I get hit by a disc of some impatient a-hole I'm keeping it and not telling him so he wastes an hour looking for it.

I play with a guy sometimes, if that happens to him, he just kicks pine needles over the a-holes disc. Pretty funny actually.

"do unto others as you would have them do to you"
thats what I follow when dealing with these types of situations. I personally will only throw off if there is no way I would ever reach the people on a hole ... I usually just wait. If Im alone I will either skip a hole or two or ask if I can play through. When I play with a group we let the people who throw shortest throw first since they wont reach the people holing out at the other end of the hole.

the problem with trying to get ahead of these groups is they are very hard to get in front of since they dont have the respect to wait for their group to finish putting before they tee off so not only do you have to skip that hole your on but then because they have already thrown you have to skip the next hole just to get ahead of them .( do you guys mind if i cut in front im trying to play fast as im by myself not in a group of 8 ,sure i dont mind f***ing up my round by skipping these holes as i also didnt mind waiting at the last three holes which took 30 minutes which is usally how long it takes to play this 9 hole course but you know what while im skipping these holes i think im gonna just walk to my car and leave as i dont have time to finish my round but good luck , oh wait you dont need good luck because your not even keeping score have a good day im a stupid doormat feel free to wipe your shoes off before i leave).

We sometimes play in large groups, we've a group of 10 will split into two cards, 5 per card. I remember last week we were playing doubles with 6 deams all on one hole.

No one should have to stand on a tee box to wait for a large group to finish each hole. Sometimes we've had 4-5 groups play through, do you not think it gets very annoying and takes even longer for us to finish? Yes, but it's the right thing to do. Offer to let them play through. If a group is moving faster than you are then they need to stay in front.

Just because you are in a hurry and are not enjoying your game don't ruin it for everyone on the course trying to learn the game.

I remember last week we were playing doubles with 6 deams all on one hole.
I ran into "that" group of five teams of doubles all together at Alex Clark Memorial DGC last month when I was playing solo. They were cool though, when I caught up to them they let me tee off with them and then play out. :) Actually, I played through three groups on that course and they were all cool about it.

If they are out of range, and you are certain that you are not going to get close, I say go for it. If it is questionable at all, I won't throw.

There are actually some tournament situations where on really long holes it may be beneficial to at least do your drive when the group in front of you has reached the pin area, because you have other cards bottle necking on the tee box behind you. Not doing so may create a situation where the hole behind you may not be clear.

As far as large groups of casuals on the courses during a practice round, most of these people are cool enough to let you play through. Sometimes though I just prefer to go find an empty hole or play the one I just did again. Its just practice after all.

For me, it's all about trying to ensure a pleasant playing experience for everyone. Most times, that means being patient and letting the group ahead hole out. On my home course, East Roswell Park, I know pretty well how far my longest possible drive's going to go, so on a few holes, when a group is way beyond that (75-100 ft beyond it) and are already moving toward the basket (i.e., they've all thrown their approach shots), I will tee off if there's no possible way I can reach them, particularly if there are other groups coming up behind me. I would never throw if I thought that a reasonable person would have any question about my intentions, but keeping things flowing for everyone trumps slavish adherence to not teeing off until the previous group has holed out.

I'm also a nut about letting anyone who is even marginally likely to be playing faster than I am play through -- particularly the yahoos who I suspect will be throwing on top of me if I stay in front of them. I'd rather cool my heels on the next tee pad while they hole out the previous hole and then let them play through than have to be constantly looking over my shoulder.

Of course, I will in extreme circumstances deliberately take my time when someone acts like a jerk -- like the teenage sphincters who yelled "Fore" from the tee pad for Hole 2 at ERP when I was playing with a large group I was introducing to the sport. We had already let one group play through before that hole, and I held up our group when we got to the tee pad, expecting to let these four guys go ahead. They disappeared somewhere about that time, however, so I had our group go ahead. While we were all putting out, one of them stepped up to the tee pad, yelled "Fore", and acted like he was going to throw. I stood stock still over my disc for several seconds and stared back at them until one of them yelled "just kidding". I stayed there for several more seconds, had the rest of our group finish holing out, then took my sweet time lining up my putt. After I holed out, I stood there for several more seconds looking back at them before clearing my disc and walking to the next hole. They got some kind of message from it, as we never saw them behind us after that -- either they skipped to Hole 6, or gave up.

When I'm with a group we will frequently let others play through. I've been throwing alone lately, and so far people have allowed me to play through.
I try to wait until the hole is clear, but if people are being inconsiderate, and you know you're not gonna hit them. Throw. Maybe they'll wake up and realize you're back there.

Now, what about on those blind holes - where you can't see the pin from the tee. Do you shout "clear" when you're done, or do you just walk away and hope the people behind you know they're good to go?

Good DG etiquette to shout "clear" if you know there's players waiting behind you.

If the walk to the next tee puts me in sight I don't shout clear but just wave to them as I walk on. If its totally blind after the tee always give a "clear!" shout

Just a habit from playing a really crowded course when I was learning, but if I know (or suspect) there are people behind me on a blind hole, I'll yell "clear on 13" etc., just so there's no confusion about which hole is actually clear. I know that's a little silly on a lot of courses, but on some courses it can make a difference when a number of holes are in the same general vicinity.

Just a habit from playing a really crowded course when I was learning, but if I know (or suspect) there are people behind me on a blind hole, I'll yell "clear on 13" etc., just so there's no confusion about which hole is actually clear. I know that's a little silly on a lot of courses, but on some courses it can make a difference when a number of holes are in the same general vicinity.

Good point

I'm pretty casual when I play, so most of the time, I'll just skip the hole and move ahead of them rather than playing up on them and trying to catch them at a tee.

Playing through is not a right. If someone won't let you through, skip a couple of holes and start up again ahead of them. :)

Latest posts