• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] TOBU Ping

It's been said before. Why would a company, that's in the business of selling discs, want to help you find lost discs?

Thoughts on the new disc? A new disc with a tracking device!

According to TOBU, it's a "disk"

510x250xTobu-slim-logo-e1418786626589.png.pagespeed.ic.TKeI16Ofn5.jpg

^^ I saw that on Facebook. How does this get to production with the word Disk on it. Major fail.

They left out a very important thing if they want me to contribute to their kickstarter. What kind of disc is it? Speed? Stability?

It should be designed to attach to any existing disk, oops disc. You can't spell disc and you are an epic failure. Sorry TOBU.

So, am I wrong in thinking that this may be illegal? Just because tracking devices can be PDGA legal doesn't mean they are, correct? To me, sticking a wad of gum on the bottom of a disc is illegal so why wouldn't this be? :confused:

That is one fat rim, good lord.

If they can get PDGA approval, then good on them. Otherwise, it's $30 for a speculative piece of fun. I'd rather throw something slower and land in the fairway, though.

So, am I wrong in thinking that this may be illegal? Just because tracking devices can be PDGA legal doesn't mean they are, correct? To me, sticking a wad of gum on the bottom of a disc is illegal so why wouldn't this be? :confused:

From their kickstarter page...

Meets PDGA Standards!

We were the driving force behind the recent PDGA technical standards change! (Discs can now have electronics attached and still be used in tournament play.) Ping has been designed with these standards in mind so that it can be used by both the pros and enthusiasts alike. The PING disc is currently pending approval.

PDGA specs were revised too allow technological advances like this in discs last year I believe. It opened the door to ideas like this and here it's what we get.

PDGA specs were revised too allow technological advances like this in discs last year I believe. It opened the door to ideas like this and here it's what we get.

Yeah, I saw that when it was released so I get that. I just don't get how sticking something like the Ping onto a disc can be allowed as legal while some thing like painting a disc is illegal.

Yeah, I saw that when it was released so I get that. I just don't get how sticking something like the Ping onto a disc can be allowed as legal while some thing like painting a disc is illegal.

You don't buy the Ping and stick it to your disc, the Ping IS the disc (as in the name). Their technology is integrated into the bottom of the disc.

a lot of that has to do with the PDGA's rules being arbitrary and make believe.

Is this company at this stage going to make a huge impact on the game? No. 10 years from now we'll still have the big names in the sport (Innova, Discraft, Prodigy, Trilogy, etc plus at least 100 new start ups, and minus as many failures - Salient, Fly High, Ping). The technology is cool, the geek in me loves the idea of being able to track my throws on my phone. Ping shows us that the technology is there, it gets bought out by Innova, who produces an entire line of integrated discs in the names that we love - iTeebird, E-Roc, Electrostar Destroyer. The other other companies all must develop their own technologies to emulate. Inevitably each company has its own quirks +/- that are argued about in future DGCR threads under an entire subforum labeled Tracking Devices, with a different label for each tracking device company.

I'd bet a dollar that the 4567634 lost disc threads here served as the inspiration for this project. Now we get to go back to arguing roc vs buzzz.

I don't know ... I'm looking forward to the buzzz/roc debate on which is more android and which is more ios.

I hope this doesn't go down the same path as Hucker Magazine, lol.

I contributed $30 but know that there is a possibility of not getting anything in return.

I doubt that the technology will ever be widely adopted in the near future but I like that the option is out there. Eventually I would like to see a training disc with accelerometers to track acceleration, velocity, distance, angle of attack, etc... something similar to the 94Fifty Smart Sensor Basketball.

Latest posts