• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Today I fell in love with a Roc and further in love with a Buzzz

A.Mutt

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I played in my first tourney last weekend and when asked what disc I wanted I chose the KC pro Roc over the high speed drivers so I could see what all the talk is about. After a disappointing finish I spent the last couple of days practicing in a field and worked out a huge grip issue and my muscles have begun to understand smooth form and snap. And that brings us to today where I went to play a short round at Blendon Woods before the sun set.

I've found the stability of the Roc I got to feel solid. I used it to park a couple of holes today and its been very confidence inspiring. The fade and skip was very predictable. After a bunch of throws I definitely understand what makes the Roc a cult classic. But will it replace my Buzzzes or just compliment them? The Buzzzes aren't going anywhere.

I hit my first ace ever today with my Elite Z Buzzz! It was on hole two which is a 171' straight shot with the basket near a few trees. When I let the drive go it felt good and as I watched it I could tell it was on line to set me up for an easy deuce, but as it kept gliding and began to fade back I couldn't believe my eyes. I knew it about a second before I heard it but man was it a sweet sight to see it stick in the chains.

Turns out everyone is right and both the Roc and the Buzzz are fantastic discs. :D

Congrats on the ace. I also carry a Buzzz and a Roc and love them both. Sometimes I just don't know which one to pull out of my bag and throw.:confused:

Congrats on you Ace, sweet!
I still rock my Roc- I am curios about the Buzzz, I have a buddy who loves his.
I see what you are saying about the snap on a Roc. A really straight arm and a wiked snap propels a Roc real nice!

I've had a DX Roc in my bag for a while and it was pretty hit or miss for me. Got a KC Pro Roc in the mail today though, and after one round with it I'm hooked. It looks to be the same mold as my DX - I think that the difference might be that when I got the DX I was still new to the game, and by the time I could throw well it was real worn in. Either way - the KC Pro is where it's at!

I have a Roc but I just got a Core and a Rock-it and I like them both better.

i as well carry a roc and a buzz in my bag
and i frequently find myself pulling my buzz out of my bag more frequently than my roc. my reason? I'm not quite sure yet.
but they are both amazing mid-range discs.
i have yet to ace with one of them. but i have hit rather long birdies

Throw what you want to throw. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you have to throw any specific disc.

That said, everyone's bag should include both of the following:

Beat up Aviar
Beat up dx roc

Last edited:
I carry a beat up Dx Roc and a fairly new Buzz.. I found out that I throw the Roc for about the same distance... but I can keep it straight for the entire flight path. With the Buzz I found it turns more towards the end of the flight path.

The discs that helped me like playing disc golf.

I was introduced to discgolf by a friend far more talented than I. He still is by leaps and bounds. I did not take to the requirements of the sport very fluidly and his big drives served to discourage, rather than entice me. I didn't like playing because I felt overwhelmed and out of place.

I continued to go out and play sparingly but never experienced concrete improvement. I don't remember the days or the throws but the painfully found ability to throw the buzz straight and turn the roc over opened up the fun of disc golf for me.

My buzz is still my longest serving disc and I live by my dx classic roc. Buzz is more stable and flies straighter. The roc will do what you might it to do and is faster and flies farther.

These observations are mine alone and may not be duplicated by superior players.

Thanks guys :) I didn't have any witnesses in the official sense. There was a group of kids on the next hole that I called over to verify that I hadn't lost my mind and in fact was standing on the tee pad with my disc in the basket. They were excited for me and wanted to know what I used. They were all new to the game so I took the time to tell them I used a Buzzz for that but that a Roc is also a really good mid, and that they shouldn't limit themselves to just one company.

Out in the field I throw both about the same distance, alternating which one wins by about 10-15 feet. Based on paces around 250-270'. Now my KC Roc is 180 and the Z Buzzz is 172. I just figured out what smooth form and snap feels like and be able to reproduce it so maybe things will change as I improve but for now the Roc when driving with it is more stable. It cooks ahead on a straight line and fades a bit at the end. The Buzzz will do a small s-curve for me when driving with it. I really need to go spend more time out in the field with them both ... too bad its dark out right now.

Congs on ur ace with buzzz. I have a buzzz that i got x-mas gift from my cousin. I tend to throw my discs sort of hard and smooth. My roc can handle my snap. For buzzz it alway pull right and crush ground like it tried to roll. I like to throw discs flat. I did try hyzer with buzzz, it flip and turn little right still. Roc could hold my line very well so i put my buzzz on the wall for decoration.

"Throw hard, Play hard, Play smart, Have fun"

I use the Buzzz a lot for finesse throws. But you're right the roc seems to handle a hard rip better. Thrown hard the Buzzz will turn on me but always comes back. But this is why I now realize those roc v. buzzz threads are really silly. Two different discs that do different things. I have a feeling they are going to be best of friends in my bag.

Thrown hard the Buzzz will turn on me but always comes back.
You've got a special Buzzz there... every time I tried to throw a Buzzz hard it flipped and never thought twice about coming back.

The only Buzzz I have that doesn't come back is a beat up pro-D one. Before I lost it the other day, my FLX flew the same as the Z does with a small s-curve on a hard throw. Not real sure whats up with that. They use to just fly straight, but as I've been getting more snap and speed on my throws thats obviously changing. After tonight I think the Buzzz should be relegated to more finesse throws. The drive I aced today wasn't a hard rip, just a real smooth and confident action. Ever since 2 days ago when I solved a grip issue I didn't really even know I had, every thing has been flying so much faster and longer that my perspective on whats in my bag is changing.

Last edited:
Rocs Rock. Climo can't be that wrong.

I have always carried a roc and always will. One of the best discs ever made, imho.

They go a lot farther than some folks give them credit for, too... and that sucker goes on
WHATEVER line I put it on. Hyzer, turnover... straight as an arrow.... ad nauseum.

I have a buzz on occasion but I do not carry one. I won a buzz at a recent event but I gave it to a Horsey.

The only way a Buzzz comes back for me after it has started to turn over is if I put a lot of air/height on it. I never use that disc for shots that need to come back or need any kind of a decent fade, but other than that, everyone knows that the Buzzz is the best disc ever made.

After reading all the buzz on here about the two, I bought one of each. I just ordered my second roc. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the Buzz. It is clearly a good disc, but they're similar enough that I can't quite figure out what I'd need both for. The buzz seems to fly like a broken-in (not beat) roc to me.

Latest posts