• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Today in Addictive Disc Golf Behavior

I love playing a new course on the road as much as anyone, but I have no idea how you guys can string so many different places day after day.

On a 5-day trip to southern and coastal OR last fall, I played 15 courses new to me, in addition to taking in some Shakespeare in Ashland. Granted, most of the courses were 9s, and I usually camped near the last dgc I played that day, or the one I planned to play in the morning.

Trying to get in a 3-4 day, 12-15 course trip in central MS 'fore I head home to OR[though camping in the Mercury doesn't seem as pleasant as the Vanagon].

I love playing a new course on the road as much as anyone, but I have no idea how you guys can string so many different places day after day.

I have never played more than 2 rounds in one day, and don't think I would enjoy it even if my arm would be able to handle it. I would rather spend the rest of my time cracking open a cold beer at the local pub. Getting right into the car to hoof it down the road to another place just isn't fun for me!

This is your problem. When you are addicted, playing 4 rounds in a day is nothing. Especially if you are roadtripping, it is great to drive 2 hours, play a round, drive 2 hours, play a round, drive 2 hours, play a round, drive 2 hours. Really helps to break up the drive.

The OP's story reminds me of my last trip to Charlotte. Instead of taking a lunch break like everyone else at the conference, I ate a granola bar on the way to Elon to take on the Angry Beaver. I managed to fit in a round (although a rough round) and make it back to work just in time for my afternoon meeting. I was tired but thought it was well-worth the trip!

What you call an addiction, I call the pursuit of a passion.

Other passions......craft beer, chain smoking, womanizing.......hmmmmmmmm :\:eek:

How many of you take discs with you on the plan just in case the mtgs get done early? I've done it a few times to Boston and was able to hit up Maple Hill, Pyramids, Newton Hill, Devon.

I'm still debating whether to take a couple next week on a Park City Ski Trip. Anybody know if Canyons is open?

I actually have played in a suit before. Left the jacket in the car, but played with dress shoes/tie/slacks, etc. Trashed my shoes, but I had to play!

I woke up one morning to my cellphone alarm, roller over, grabbed my phone in a putting grip and gave it a practice push before I realized what I was doing.

I've got the addiction so bad that I worked out a great plan when flying. I put as many discs as I can cram into my small Innova bag, then load my Grip backpack with my clothes and amenities. I use the Grip as my carry on, and the Innova bag as my small personal item which most flights allow. Kind of like my "purse" full of discs. This way, I avoid baggage handlers damaging or (God forbid) losing my bags/discs. When I reach destination, I just remove clothes, re-pack Grip with discs, and am ready to tackle the local courses. I get some funny double-takes from TSA screeners, but most of 'em have seen discs before and they realize I'm just an addict

Here is some DG addictive behaviors I suffer from:

- walking around the house I spontaneously will practice my drive. My wife hates that, been trying to cut it out.
- taking walks I find myself finding lines for a disc to go through down the street, between trees, over cars, through doorways and arches, etc. Sometimes I then break into driving practice to hit the line.
- Anything remotely disc-like I tend to grip like a disc and imagine throwing it, snapping my wrist. A plate, the lid to a jar, bottle caps, etc. Sometimes I actually throw it, which can get me in trouble.

I always take a small bag (nutsac usually) with me when I travel on business. I don't always get to play, but I try to as much as possible.

I've been able to play in England, Canada, and a whole bunch of states. Good times......

I volunteer to get up early in the summer (when I'm off, because I teach) and take my daughter to Girl Scout Camp every day for a week, because the camp is on the way to three or four different courses that I normally wouldn't get to play.

Latest posts