• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tolerating rude players.

for the most part when i go its players in their teens like me. i've been playing for a while but i was never rude or anything. most of the people that i see that are older than me are pretty cool guys but its people that are around my age that are rude and just piss me off

This summer, I was finishing up the last hole of my round at Hansen Park (Hole 12) and had thrown my drive. Another group (4 players) was just finishing up Hole 1, which is right by the last hole. I walked to my disc, pulled out a midrange and was just about to throw, when a disc landed about 5 feet away from me. I looked back and proceeded to watch as another drive from the tee was coming at me. No warning, nothing and I was in plain sight. Ohh and I could hear them laughing...

What would you have done?

they obviously were throwing these discs to you because they didn't want them anymore. they were laughing because they were feeling so happy about giving discs to another player.

you should pick up these discs that they threw to you. after picking them up you hsould immediately head to you car and leave. they would feel embarassed if you were to get within speaking range and say thank you to them. in fact you should run to your car just to make sure.

keep this in mind next time you are playing. anytime you are frustrated with another player instead of getting mad you should try and make a new friend. give them a disc. just to make sure that they don't miss the disc or have trouble finding your toss you should aim for them. they might be a little hurt but that is a small thing compared to a friend giving them a new disc.

-----------------------------------

in all honesty.. be the bigger person and just walk away. any other action by you will just instigate more problems. not much good can come of interacting with people like that. although my buddy that i play with would pick up that disc they tossed near me and toss it right back at them. he would probably aim for their feet.

This summer, I was finishing up the last hole of my round at Hansen Park (Hole 12) and had thrown my drive. Another group (4 players) was just finishing up Hole 1, which is right by the last hole. I walked to my disc, pulled out a midrange and was just about to throw, when a disc landed about 5 feet away from me. I looked back and proceeded to watch as another drive from the tee was coming at me. No warning, nothing and I was in plain sight. Ohh and I could hear them laughing...

What would you have done?

My problem is I have a pretty short temper when it comes to stupidity. Having spent 20 years in the pool and bar business, there is only one way to deal with people like this. Have it cost them something. It's the only way they will learn anything.

The first time I would think was an accident but if others in the group threw their discs in my direction also, I would pick them up and throw them in different directions as hard as I could, nice and deep, into the woods. Maybe practice my tomahawks. LOL

Let's see how funny they think that is.

Woodpecker

in all honesty.. be the bigger person and just walk away. any other action by you will just instigate more problems. not much good can come of interacting with people like that. although my buddy that i play with would pick up that disc they tossed near me and toss it right back at them. he would probably aim for their feet.

Actually, that's what I did - I took a moment to give them a look (which shut them up), finished my round and left without tossing their discs into a nasty thorny area.

I may try playing the back nine first if something like that happens again. I'm usually a little nervous when I'm somewhere new, so I didn't think of that. Good idea. On the upside... I may start going there once a month just to look for discs, as I like finding things. I'll also try to get there a little earlier and wait to see if someone nicer comes along and as to group up with them. By the way ...if anyone lives in brevard county florida, I try to play on the weekends and would like some friendly competition.

I'm in Brevard, but due to surgery i am out until the first week of Jan at the very least.Sorry to hear about the rude players you encountered. I hope they weren't local club members, and just some tools who fail to understand the game. Head out to Wickham on Sun morning(handicap is at F Burton Smith on the last sunday of every month). The club meets for Sunday handicap. Get there around 9:00 -9:30 am and introduce yourself. Ask around for Rob,he is the club pres.They usually meet East of the ampitheatre, next to the north lake.If you have a chance you can head out there Sat. They are are having a one day trnry to bennefit a club member.You should be able to meet a good number of locals there as well. A-holes seem to be at every course unfortunately, I hope you don't let the actions of a few, reflect upon the rest of us.

Last edited:
I would throw the people's disc into the woods, but I would be worried about a confrontation. I only want to use my tools of self-defense in case someone trys to really hurt me or steal from me. Is there anybody over 50 on here that knows what to do? Should we throw their discs in the woods?

I have a saying:

Both the best and worst thing about disc golf is that it is free and open to everyone.

97% of the players I meet on the course are great, and one of the courses I frequent is in a pretty shady neighborhood. Unfortunately, the other 3% can really ruin a good time for the rest of us. Some people come to the course just to be an A**hole. Traditional golfers would probably encounter this as well, if their courses were also free and the barriers to playing were as low as disc golf.

I do not condone confrontation or fighting for several reasons:
1. It is illegal
2. 2 wrongs dont make a right
3. I am skinny and weak (the main reason)
4. It wont really solve anything, and then you risk another confrontation every time you go to that course.

My advice is to just leave, and if they were doing anything illegal in a public park, report it. People who make trouble run from cops the same way vampires run from the sun. If the police get a few reports that people are making trouble there, they will investigate it, and things will iron themselves out.

I would throw the people's disc into the woods, but I would be worried about a confrontation. I only want to use my tools of self-defense in case someone trys to really hurt me or steal from me. Is there anybody over 50 on here that knows what to do? Should we throw their discs in the woods?

I don't advocate everyone throwing someone else's disc, just me. If I felt they were actually trying to hit me with a disc, then they have a problem.

I'm 58. I don't have a problem with a verbal confrontations having owned two poolrooms with full bars. Dealing with drunks that were running on an emotional instead of a logical level on an almost daily basis. Just teach them a lesson and if they're smart, they'll learn from it and let it go.

Disc golfers, in general, are the most laid back and nonconfrontational group of people I've ever known. Most will just let a incident like this slide which I believe just perpetuates the problem. If they do it once, then it's OK to do it again.

I'm not a tough guy or a badass but what is right is right. If someone doesn't stand their ground with idiots like that then one day they might do it to the wrong people.

I figure, by confronting them, I'm saving them from a trip to the hospital or worse.

Woodpecker<<< (in most cases, won't turn the other cheek) LOL

Another recourse is get to know people in the local club. Club members are always some of the most courteous and welcoming in my opinion. If the club members learn who the jerks are, they will keep an eye out, and eventually the unwanted people will be outnumbered and chased off the course.

There is no avoiding it though, as long as courses are fully open to the public (which I hope they always will be) there will confrontations and encounters with people who have nothing better to do than make trouble.

Midnightbiker, are you equating serious players with morning people, or would you agree that getting up early for any reason is a sacrifice, and it's the serious players who are willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of a quality round?

All I am saying is from what I have seen, the later the day gets, the less serious the players that show up. I am not a morning person by any means. I have to force myself to get up when I am playing in tournaments. I work at night so I am used to going to bed at 6am ,not getting up.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I am just saying from what I have seen, the later the day gets, the more families, and people just fooling around, show up. There are still some serious players in the mix, but not as many as I have seen in the morning.

The %age of more serious players is higher in the morning from what i've seen. It is also quieter. You have more time for your round and it is easier to take multiple drives/approaches to see what is working. That said, rounds are quicker when there are more serious players than rec players since we tend to keep things moving.

Thanks for the tip on the Brevard county group. I'm busy this sat. but maybe I can make it sun. Someone also said to just report bad activity. That's a good idea. I usually play at a park that has type of officers. I didn't even think to go to the ranger station. If something happens when I go next time maybe reporting it to the rangers would be a good idea. I don't want to make it difficult on the ranger but they would have more pull with calling the authorities.

Latest posts