• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Tomahawk/Thumber

Rastaman

Birdie Member
What disc do you use or these type of throws? I use a dx leopard 165g for shorter throws and a 170g for longer chucks

I actually use a variety of discs, from overstable to stable.
If you throw it 150' or less, try a Champ TeeBird. If 200' or more, move up to a Champ Firebird.

Pre-Kenny star wraith 175g. No better disc at all. Ask anyone who plays with me...that thing MOVES!

zenbot's OH Rant: Copy and Pasted for your perusal.

zenbotticus "robotface" rex said:
There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for overhand. I use my for distance thumbers and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

To read more about thumbers and tomahawks here's some other threads you might enjoy...but you don't have to take my word for it.

relaxing-way-reading-rainbow.jpg

Why overstable for OH?
Thumber disc poll
OH distance
overhand plastic
Thumber Tips
Whats your favorite overhand disc?
Tomahawk vs. Thumber
Overhand Throws: Does discing down still apply?
What was your overhand disc of 2010?
Thumber disc?
Thumber/tohahawk thing...
Disc Selection for Overhand Shots
best tomahawk/ overhand driver?
thumbers - good discs to buy
Overhand disc
What is the best overhand disc?
Favorite Tomahawk Disc?
Trying to incorporate the Tomahawk into my game.
Help: Overhand throws.
Thomahawk and Thumber
Overhead Discs
mid or putter thumbers?

I have used a 175 peraly red old stamp predator but have recently switch to a FLX Predator which is silly overstable, flat as a pancake and has a much higher PLH then any other Predator I have seen.

depends on the line, some discs will finish right, some left, some a tight line, some not so much.

that being said i tomahawk a Firebird, Wraith and Nuke SS the most often.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13618

I usually throw a 175g Champ Valkyrie and I would agree with this. I don't often throw overhands for distance; they're mostly for getting out of trouble, so I feel like the Valk gives me the accuracy and predictability I need for those shots.

The thumber is one of my bread and butter shots...
I have 4 discs that I use for various reasons...

Monster D- 168- Champ 12x (Flat top) Firebird... Takes forever to roll over...
Distance- 171 Opto XXX good long flight, great for getting D with no run up.
Long Accuracy- 171- star Firebird (domey and beat)..my go to thumber in the woods.
Short Accuracy - 171 champ eagle... has a tight roll and a quick drop, with more snap/spin it'll take a longer roll.

I don't do Tomahawks...

Is there a differnce between a thumber and a tomahawk ir are they the same thing?

I was searching google to find a picture for you and Levar Burton is the number 3 result because I've reposted my OH rant so many times here.

zenbot<------licks finger, marks a 1 on imaginary scoreboard

Latest posts