• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tomahawks?

Any suggestions for throwing Tomahawks in the wind? Sidewind, headwind, wind at your back, I need help with em all. I'm not good enough to hit the gap on a few holes at my home course, so over the top works out really well as long as there isn't a hurricane. However, I'm in Texas and 12-18 mph. is common this time of year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions for throwing Tomahawks in the wind? Sidewind, headwind, wind at your back, I need help with em all. I'm not good enough to hit the gap on a few holes at my home course, so over the top works out really well as long as there isn't a hurricane. However, I'm in Texas and 12-18 mph. is common this time of year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do not alter my throws for headwind or tailwind but I do for side winds. I suspect that in a tight wooded area where people are typically trying to hit a gap the wind is minimized on most courses but on the more open holes I just shift my release to one side or the other to compensate for degree of wind.

I also shift my release for up and down hill shots. I release more to the left for downhill and more to the right for up hill. (I am left handed)

Here's what I've found. I throw RH thumbers mostly so reverse left and right for tommies.

Head Wind: Throwing into the wind makes the disc turn faster just like with any throw into the wind. A higher airspeed makes the disc more understable. The quicker it completes it's turn the further to the right it will fly so aim more left.

Tail Wind: Tail wind does the opposite. The disc will act more stable and complete the turn more slowly. You'll get more D and you can aim more directly at the target.

Cross Wind: These will push the flight either way. Adjust accordingly.

The tommy is not great into the wind, or with strong side winds. I like to use a tommy if needed but I would suggest developing a BH rather than OH.

You might suck in the short run, but in the long run your game will develop.

Of course the tommy is great for long approaches and short open holes.

I throw thumbers a lot, but not tomahawks too often. I agree with Zenbot on the issue of head winds and tail winds and how you should aim. With cross winds I feel my best bet is to make sure I rotate and release in such a way that its less like a heave from centerfield to homeplate and more like a fast pitch. If the disc is released to high and too vertical the cross wind can take it sailing away sideways. I've had it happen to me so now if the wind is blowing hard across and I want to thumb it I'm sure to release low and with extra ooomph.

Latest posts