• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too Many Discs

MIdisc1

I've been discin for a while now and it still amazes me the amount of crappy players throwing a TON of different discs every round. Personally I use four discs max (overstable driver, understable driver, FLX buzz, and a clasic champion rock as a putter). Maybe it would help some players to stop trowing as many discs as possible and focus on mastering just a few. Just a thought. :D

Last edited:
Different stroke for different folks...

Minimalism vs carrying a large bag has always been debatable. I don't need more than one disc, but my game/scores improve tremendously by having more. Its a balance, and a lot of Am golfers are still looking for it. For different people the balance is different quantities of different discs. They'll never find it without throwing more than just what they originally decide they'll be best with though. I guarantee that you threw more than just those 4 discs before you settled on them. If not, how do you know that they're the best ones for you?

I somewhat agree but I know some guys who throw over 12 different molds and they're comfortable with it. I personally only use 8 (Wraith/Beast/Roadrunner/Predator/Teebird/Roc/Buzzz/Rhyno) but these crappy players you speak of may still be new and not yet know what they're comfortable with. So they're in that novice stage of finding out what works and then in a few months, even years, they'll narrow it down to 4-8 molds.

Lindsay Lohan

Exactly, along with lazy-eyed Paris Hilton.

Last edited:
I guarantee that you threw more than just those 4 discs before you settled on them.

Very true, but I also learned to throw with a select few. Then I started trying other discs. My point is it's much easyer for new players to work on just getting there throw down with a few discs before trying out a bunch, if you have trouble thowing how can you chose discs that will help your game out.

Sorry wasn't trying to be a dick.

I think he was just joking with you. It's just funny how your first post was a rant. It's ok, and you do make sense to an extent. It's all a comfort thing in the end. If this guy likes 15 molds and you only like 4, so be it. There are pros and cons to both preferences. #1 - while you may be able to use only 4 on certain courses, there ARE courses out there that need different shot selections, hence different molds, #2 - Wind, certain discs are made better for wind i.e. Xcaliber, if you're not throwing wind fighters, you might not have a great round.

The list goes on but I'm le tired.

:)

Unfortunately, if everyone followed your advice, most of the disc companies would go out of business....
What I don't understand is why you care how many discs someone else is throwing...does the sight of somenoe on the course whom you perceive to be throwing too many discs for their skill level baother you so much as to affect your performance? Do you know for a fact that these players are throwing all of these discs? I carry a large bag with me, but most rounds probably only use 6 or 7 discs, but just like to have some others to try out if time permits...now I'm certainly not a professional level player, but I'm alright....would that sight on the golf course offend you so much?

I'm just trying to figure out why this bothers you so much to the point you felt the need to post this????
That, and sometimes I like to bust people's chops;)

I know I have to many disc 240+ and have only been playing 8-9 months

I've been discin for a while now and it still amazes me the amount of crappy players throwing a TON of different discs every round. Personally I use four discs max (overstable driver, understable driver, FLX buzz, and a clasic champion rock as a putter). Maybe it would help some players to stop trowing as many discs as possible and focus on mastering just a few. Just a thought. :D

Throwing rocks at the basket would make loud noises and if one deflects might hurt someone

To each his own on how many discs you use and carry. And as far a new players with lots of discs, even the ones with no interest on actually playing long term, they are still purchasing plastic. Which is helping Disc Golf as a whole. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

I started carry extras for throwing over water or other situations where losing a disc is likely. If you only have one midrange and it goes in the drink on the second hole, you either have to go swimming or play without.

Maybe it would help some players to stop trowing as many discs as possible and focus on mastering just a few. Just a thought. :D

Most people have more money than sense. You probably just waste yours differently. I waste mine on ammo, tools and occasionally theater tickets. Discs I consider a necessity. :D

I have too many discs also, but trying out different discs is half the fun. I agree that mastering a limited number is a good way to go. I have reduced my bag and have been throwing about 5 or 6 molds. I am learning how to use those discs much better becasue of it. But I still break out something different once in a while and chuck it to see waht it will do. I have been thumbing a Flick lately to see if I can use it for different shots than my Firebird or get some extra distance. It may only last a monsth or so if I don't like it, but it's fun to play around with.

What's worse is if they only have a few discs like a Valkryie, Destroyer, Surge and a Reaper. He putts with the Valkryie BTW. Everyone has to go through plastic sickness sooner or later hopefully they run into someone with some experience to help steer them in the right direction as far as weight and molds.

I think there's an advantage having more discs, it helped me find better ways to throw. By learning several discs you refine your technique in different ways, by throwing a few discs you refine accuracy.

I can within 10min pick 3 discs for a round but I'm uncomfortable playing for money with 3, though my DON'T NEED ANOTHER DISC - BRAND NEW Comet could change that, I'm tradin off a lot of other mids. I regularly play with 10-11 discs cuz that's what the bag holds as well as beer. I have a 22 disc bag (12molds) for tourneys and two milk crates of spares/ junk half of which I wish I hadn't bought, but I'm always dipping into it as my throw changes or the two crates are awesome for field practice. It's just more options.

Last edited:
If I could only listen to the OP I would most likely score better and definately would have more money in my pocket! :doh:

I could play with only four discs, KC aviar, Teebird, Buzzz, and Katana. However I would need three of each in differant stages!

Last edited:

Latest posts