• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top DG cities

laas angeeleees, not on the list? the area has some great courses.....

I was thinking of LA too. Any city with La Mirada has to be top 15 at least.

Journey to the Center of Disc Golf

Go to http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/DGinUS.aspx to find the center of the disc golf universe. I'm thinking of moving to Rock Island, Illinois and looking for a house that backs up to Longview Park. I figure that all of the positive DG vibes must flow back there and it'll add 100 ft to my drives and lower my scores by at least 5 throws per round! ;)

Raleigh

Newark DE (esp now with Iron Hills) and Allentown PA both have better disc golf than Raleigh.

I'd probably rank Raleigh from 15-20. (Technically it would be best to call it "the Triangle"). Raleigh may not have a world class course but there are some top level courses such as Buckhorn, UNC, Valley Springs, Zebulon, and really good courses like Cedar Hills. Quantity needs to count too. In the Triangle there are

• 8 courses of 18 holes
  • 4 courses of 9-13 holes
  • 7 Private courses (9 & 18s)
Then if you want to go a little farther you hit Burlington, Sanford, Rocky Mount.

Go to http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/DGinUS.aspx to find the center of the disc golf universe. I'm thinking of moving to Rock Island, Illinois and looking for a house that backs up to Longview Park. I figure that all of the positive DG vibes must flow back there and it'll add 100 ft to my drives and lower my scores by at least 5 throws per round! ;)

And people say I have too much time on my hands! :D

I can't believe I born and raised 45 minutes from there and never knew I was right there living in the vortex of disc golf! :rolleyes: Anyway that is still some pretty cool stuff.

I was just thinking about this...
being in Ludington, Michigan visiting for the summer, it is utterly amazing how many people in this city disc golf! It's a small, lakeside tourist town of 10,000 people. Imagine a smaller Santa Cruz, but in the midwest.

So let's see. 4 great full size pro courses. Beast/Beauty/Goliath and Leviathan. That's 4 courses/10,000 people. so 1 course per 2500. Wondering what cities might beat that, with a minimum of two or more courses?

That's a 4 mile radius too.Flip City is 30 miles south of Ludington.

I know you are from Austin, which is why I think you put it low, but feel it should be a little higher.

Austin should be at the top of the list because here you can play year round and usually in shorts. Can you play year round in Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Etc.? My wife is from Ohio and I would not want to play up there in the winter.

my season usually ends for me when my fingers start to get to cold to hold the disc well. late october will probably be the end of it for me this year. but i know lots of people that play all thru winter. i did at one point buy a black disc so that it would be easier to find in the snow. but winter play just isn't for me.

each to his own

Austin should be at the top of the list because here you can play year round and usually in shorts. Can you play year round in Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Etc.? My wife is from Ohio and I would not want to play up there in the winter.

We have tournaments in January dude. The only time I don't play is if the snow is real powdery cuz it eats discs. Although I've seen people attach ribbons, like for wrapping presents, to the center of their discs to help find them in the snow.

I just thought of another You know you're addicted line lol.

Of course I can't lie to you I would much rather play when it's 85 and sunny.

Last edited:
Restarting this thread after a long vacation. Another boost to Charlotte's claim as top DG city is word that the city will be hosting the 2012 Pro/Am World Championships. And to prepare for that, 7 to 11 new courses are going to be built in the city. Add all those courses to Renny, Winthrop and Hornet's Nest, plus all the other courses already in Charlotte, and it's great living here.

I live in Grand Rapids so it's pretty sweet to see it in the top 10. I'd agree with the ranking

Yikes. 9 months (and 75 courses) later, I can't disagree enough with myself. There's no way Grand Rapids is top 10 in the U.S. The courses here are pretty weak. I've got to drive northwest, straight east, or straight south for a couple of hours to get to anything I'd consider top notch. Grand Rapids should probably be ranked around #30 solely based on quantity, not quality.

Can't wait to hit Charlotte later this year.

Oh, and the link in the original post doesn't work anymore. That's kind of sad. :(

I think DFW should be on the list and should be ranked higher than Austin is. DFW has just as many or more quality courses to choose from and from my experience the courses in DFW have nicer amenities. A lot of courses down in Austin have dirt teepads, which is a major negative for me.

buffalo and rochester, NY...15? courses between the 2(probably a few more i am missing). worlds have been held in rochester twice and the am worlds is coming back in 2011..i also believe buffalo has one of the longest courses in the world now with close to 11,000' at emery park..hard for me to comment on others since i havent traveled off the east coast..

I think DFW should be on the list and should be ranked higher than Austin is. DFW has just as many or more quality courses to choose from and from my experience the courses in DFW have nicer amenities. A lot of courses down in Austin have dirt teepads, which is a major negative for me.

There may have to be a second here. DFW should at least make the list since we're talking around 40 courses in the area with at least half of the courses being considered pretty dang impressive.

Austin should be higher too, going to Pease Park is just the crest of amazing courses in the surrounding areas. Also, one would have to consider land area - Austin city limits itself doesn't have as many as the areas that actually surround it but holistically it's pretty sweet..

I really need to play down in Cincy it looks like. I've got a lot of love though for the courses in and around Columbus.

Dayton

I really need to play down in Cincy it looks like. I've got a lot of love though for the courses in and around Columbus.

Forget I-71, stop through Dayton on your way from Columbus to Cincy ... Def hit Belmont (1991 Pro Disc Golf World Championships) and Englewood. I still haven't played all the local courses in the DYT.

Go to the Map Browser and put in 45402 for the zip and set the filter for 75 miles ...

truth is... I'm sure there are MANY great disc golf cities out there.... DG is growing fast.... real fast...its hard to keep up.... courses are being erected/reconfigured at a much faster pace than ever before.... it's great.

Glad to see Austin on the list. Great vibe out here on great courses. I never thought I'd say this about a city but we do need more concrete (tee pads, of course) Word is that we're building 4 new championship level courses in the next year..... I think we are making a push at trying to become the "disc golf capital of the world" in addition to being the live music capital of the world..... Man It'd be cool to be able to go to a local park and watch some of the top players in the world compete... not to mention having MORE great courses around. DFW should be on the list as well, I think.... lots of courses... lots of good golfers... year round play too

I did only get to play two courses while in Portland (Pier & Darby State Park) and was very impressed by both.... I most def want to check out more of the top rated courses when I'm back this summer. I would also like to say that Portland has the most potential out of any other city I've been in..... great vibe (might even be better than Austin)..... and they have more green space/public land than any other city I've been in (ie. potential for new courses) Needless to say, I love Portland, sorry Austin (I love you too, but......) nature beckons