• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Player Ratings Over Time

Say you were indeed ace hunting in the scenario DiscFifty presents. You know after your first shot on hole 18 if you aced or not. Could you just walk off and DNF at that point? Feign an injury or something and say "hey, can't finish" ?

Simply curious. I absolutely wouldn't condone such a thing.

I'm even wondering one step further, if you complete all 18 holes and then ask the TD to DNF, can the TD PDGA legally add a DNF at that point? (regardless the reason, just wondering if the system allows this.)

No new 1040s this month but...

New personal best for Ricky 1056 and once again claims the top spot. Gonna be tough for him to keep it up there after the July update. He'd played pretty hot starting at DGLO on July 24. He averaged 1061 in 22 rounds to finish 2020(had two other rounds not counting towards his rating, a 1003 from Idlewild and one rd at tour championship.)

Can you imagine being good enough that a 1003 doesnt count?!?:eek:

If they threw out outliers on either end (not just the spuriously low ratings), my one and only 1002 rated round (in ten years) would've been thrown out for the other reason. :(

Say you were indeed ace hunting in the scenario DiscFifty presents. You know after your first shot on hole 18 if you aced or not. Could you just walk off and DNF at that point? Feign an injury or something and say "hey, can't finish" ?

Simply curious. I absolutely wouldn't condone such a thing.

A friend of mine, grouped with me in the final round of a tournament, lamented that his bad round was going to hurt his rating but probably wasn't bad enough to be dropped. I suggested that he pile up some courtesy violations to make sure.

On the tee of the last hole, he jokingly went around the group, saying F--- You! to each person, enough to accumulate about a dozen strokes. Of course, we thwarted his effort by not calling him on it.

No indication that the meaning of 1000 rating has changed in relation to scores and SSA on many courses. There are simply more players rated over 1000 which is what you would expect based on growth at the tip of the ratings pyramid. A good example of course rating stability is at the Memorial where the SSA on two open courses has remained relatively stable, only subject to wind factors, over many years. Open courses like the Memorial is where improved technology for players throwing longer would be more likely to lower the SSA compared to more wooded courses.

I suspect this is something you can't disclose but it was a shower thought the other day.

The ratings system is effectively a closed system, how does it handle new players coming in who progress quickly especially in new to the sport areas (Estonia/Iceland and to an extent UK come to mind)

Is there likely to be a large ratings deflation in those areas with Covid restrictions on travel so effectively an improving playerbase only playing itself so a 54 last year is rated the same as a 50 this year (everything else being equal) ?

I suspect this is something you can't disclose but it was a shower thought the other day.

The ratings system is effectively a closed system, how does it handle new players coming in who progress quickly especially in new to the sport areas (Estonia/Iceland and to an extent UK come to mind)

Is there likely to be a large ratings deflation in those areas with Covid restrictions on travel so effectively an improving playerbase only playing itself so a 54 last year is rated the same as a 50 this year (everything else being equal) ?
Once propagator ratings are generated in a closed system, the number of rating points in that pool remains mostly static unless propagators from the ratings island travel to play elsewhere or traveling props from outside play events in the island. It doesn't matter if a closed system never has outside input since their ratings will still properly rank the players in the system relative to each other. The SSA of their courses will gradually decrease if they all continue to get better.

A side note related to this issue resulted in my development of the World Rankings in 2005. I was casually chatting with Climo at the 2005 Pro Worlds. He was a little miffed at the fact that Jesper Lundmark had a higher rating (1033) than he did (1031) at that moment even though he had always finished ahead of him the few times they met in U.S. events. Knowing KC was a ball golfer, I somewhat jokingly asked him, "Wasn't golf a game you play against the course versus players?" The point being that Jesper just happened to play tenths of a stroke better on average on the courses in the past 12 months than Climo had done.

The discussion got at the crux of the ratings versus rankings dialog. The rating system does a pretty good job measuring relative performance when large pools of players intermingle across the world. In 2005, the intermingling across the oceans had barely gotten underway. So, concerns about the comparability of ratings among isolated populations was still present. I agreed with Climo that a World ranking system for the top players that used direct competition data would be a worthwhile complement to the ratings, and I put a system in place by the end of 2005. Note that the next time Climo and Lundmark met in Scandinavia for the first time, Lundmark beat him on his home turf confirming that his "isolated rating" was legit.

Wow, I'm from Iceland and I just checked; comparing competitions from late 2019/early 2020 to late 2020/early 2021 there's a 15-25 ratings drop across the board for the same scores on the same courses with comparable weather conditions.

Wow, I'm from Iceland and I just checked; comparing competitions from late 2019/early 2020 to late 2020/early 2021 there's a 15-25 ratings drop across the board for the same scores on the same courses with comparable weather conditions.

makes sense wrt Chuck's post
The SSA of their courses will gradually decrease if they all continue to get better.

i'm sure there were little to no travelers coming into Iceland last year and bringing their ratings points with them. the good news is, y'all got better!

The SSA of their courses will gradually decrease if they all continue to get better.

With ratings now being used as the main driver for tiered entry into European tournaments is this going to be a problem going forward? Are there any plans in place to mitigate it?

There's definitely outliers who probably aren't as good as their rating suggests, in comparison to others. Like is Scott Withers better than Kevin Jones or James Conrad? It's much more challenging to go on tour and play a variety of courses versus staying local and playing the same courses over and over in B and C tier tournaments.

There's definitely outliers who probably aren't as good as their rating suggests, in comparison to others. Like is Scott Withers better than Kevin Jones or James Conrad? It's much more challenging to go on tour and play a variety of courses versus staying local and playing the same courses over and over in B and C tier tournaments.

Welcome back DiscFifty. ;)

Kind of like UDiscs Disc Golf World Rankings.....and its fun to see a European player on top in FPO

Wysocki and McMahon barely remain at 1050 this update, McBeth drops below 1050 for the first time since his switch to Discraft.

Gotta go down to Lizotte and Buhr (both up to 1039) to find MPO player ratings that went up this June '22 update.

Tattar gained a point to 982 by dropping some old rounds playing a 1 Rd flex C-tier. V. Mandujano and Scoggins both gained a few points on the other FPO top 10.

BSF didn't get finalized in time for this update.