• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

top sellers

iDisc

Par Member
i've been to different websites checking out discs and bags that i might like and i noticed on 3 sites or so the top selling disc is the Archangel.

it is supposed to be a beginner disc and i dont think beginners shop online much for their equipment.

are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for? i have one but i used it for the first 2 weeks i played then now it is sitting under my bed.

also the boss isn't even a top seller on some sites. i thought people would be all over the first speed 13 disc.

(www.discgolfcenter.com) is an exception to both things i stated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
I'd say the "beginner" classification is more of a guide to the ease of controlling a disc for a beginner, as opposed to saying it's only for beginners. Advanced players can, I am sure, find uses for all sorts of discs.

Personally, I have a mix of so-called "beginner" discs along with "pro" discs and others in between. I'd venture to say that the bulk of players out there are not going to have monster arms and probably want something a bit more controllable for their level.

And there's also the possibility that because it's on the "top ten" list, the more likely a person will pick one up because it seems "everyone else has". More so for those who are less versed in the classification of the flight characteristics; they probably see it on the list and figure "everyone else uses it, probably good enough for me".

For the Wizard, it basically goes where you send it, for better or worse. ;) It can have a fairly decent fade at the end, but I've learned to use that to my advantage. I've tried (and carry) the soft, supersoft, super stupid soft, and organic Wizards. Each has their use (Though the organic actually replaced the supersoft since I've gotten it).

i've been to different websites checking out discs and bags that i might like and i noticed on 3 sites or so the top selling disc is the Archangel.

it is supposed to be a beginner disc and i dont think beginners shop online much for their equipment.

are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for? i have one but i used it for the first 2 weeks i played then now it is sitting under my bed.

It might be that the web app is not working, and it is listing the Discs in Alphabetical order. :D

It might be that the web app is not working, and it is listing the Discs in Alphabetical order. :D

I think that this is much more the case.... I can't speak for the bulk of recreational players, but I know that everyone I play with at tourneys, does not throw or even have an Archangel in their bag.
The discs that are most used by tourney players:
Sidewinder
Beast
Roadrunner
Teebird
Firebird
Wraith
Destroyer
Starfire

are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for?
For their bag, no. To give to small children or arch enemies, maybe. ;)

edit: Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.
I'm a Wizard thrower. IMO, it's the best putter out there now and comes in the best plastic. It's along the lines of a Challenger or Big Bead Aviar but carries a bit farther for drives and the low end plastic it comes in has all the advantages of DX or D but is more durable.

I'm also assuming they really aren't the most popular discs and that it's more than likely either a bug or marketing ploy.

Wizard?

I got a Wizard SSS as part of payout from a tourney this weekend and gave it a shot on Sunday. I played a nine-hole course and threw each putt with my usual 169 Omega Super Soft and also with the new 169 Wizard SSS. Everything I threw with them was ~50' or less and I'd say I saw virtually no difference in that limited experiment.

If anything the Wizard was a little more overstable on long putts than the Omega SS, but that could be due to the Wizard being brand new and the Omega having a decent bit of usage under its belt.

ERic

(idisc quote)Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I use aviar putt and approach, however, I loved my wizard and got my first ace with it so it is a great putt and approach shot. I can see why it is so competative with the aviar.

I am surprised about the Boss not being a top seller. With the destroyer and wraith being so popular due to speed and power, you would think the Boss would quickly become a fan favorite.

Last edited:
also the boss isn't even a top seller on some sites. i thought people would be all over the first speed 13 disc.
Depending on what metric the site is using to determine top seller that makes sense. It would take a long time for the Boss to rack up as much total $ sales or total # sales as the Wraith or Destroyer which have been out a lot longer.

If "top sellers" is only for something like "this week's top sellers" then yeah, I would expect the Boss to possibly be near the top. But not even close in total numbers.

Also limited quantities available to dealers could limit the sales potential.

ERic

thanks for all of the replies. if someone does like the arch angel im not making fun of them for using that disc because I DID USE IT. it just lost a spot in my bag when i started throwing more stable to overstable discs.

if i were to pick up a wizard, what plastic should i get? (i currently use a soft and a hard magnet for putts 167-169 hard 170-172 soft)

which wizard is the closest to the Omega Super Soft plastic

The new SSS Wizard I got is stiffer than my Omega SS with about a month of usage.

ERic

I love the wizard..........just like touching it.......................

You are such a discophile! You creep me out!

....now let me touch it agian. :D

The new SSS Wizard I got is stiffer than my Omega SS with about a month of usage.

ERic

Man, I love that SSS Plastic too bro! My Magic is sweet with that feel to it.

I BOUGHT AN ARCH ANGEL DUE TO ITS FLIGHT CHAR OFF EBAY FOR .25 PLUS SHIPPING AND DIDN''T LIKE THE PLASTIC AT FIRST. NOW THAT IM USED TO IT, IM USING IT AS A PUTTER BECAUSE IT GRABS THE CHAINS PRETTY GOOD AND I CAN THROW IT PRETTY STRAIGHT. I'VE GOT TO SAY IT WAS THE BEST DISC FOR THE MONEY I'VE EVER GOTTEN AND THAT INCLUDES FINDING A BUZZZ-D WITHOUT A NAME ON IT THAT I STILL USE.

thanks for all of the replies. if someone does like the arch angel im not making fun of them for using that disc because I DID USE IT. it just lost a spot in my bag when i started throwing more stable to overstable discs.

if i were to pick up a wizard, what plastic should i get? (i currently use a soft and a hard magnet for putts 167-169 hard 170-172 soft)

which wizard is the closest to the Omega Super Soft plastic
To get close to an Omega Super Soft you'll need to find the softest Wizard you can.

I forgot to mention that another advantage of Wizards is it's easy to find siffer ones. I find that Soft Wizards are similar to normal DX or D plastic putters and the mediums are stiffer. Many people like this for putting because a stiffer putter means less flex when you putt, less flex when you putt means a more consistant release and a more consistant release means more putts made. People like driving with stiffer putters for the same reason.

Personally, I'd grab a 165-167g medium for putting and/or a 175g medium for driving. I personally like a 170g soft for approaches, but you'll get a good enough feel for what a Wizard can do with one or both of the others I mentioned.

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum on this, I prefer the SOFTEST putters, and find they just grab the chains much better than the stiffest plastics. I personally putt with blowflys, which are so flimsy it's like a wet noodle in your hand, however they fly very straight. I can hit the rim just slightly low and it will litterally "crawl" in, where if a stiffer putter hits, it bounces off. However, they are HORRIBLE in open, windy conditions. When I'm playing in that, I use my omega SS, which is much more forgiving in the wind. Again, that is just matter of preferance, and what you practice/and or play with. I can say I've played with most every putter, and for the conditions I play most, softer putters are my choice.

I've got a 175 med wizard that I drive around 200' and putt on windy days. Love it and aced with it this summer. Pretty stiff. Anyone know where I can find another really stiff one? All I can find are the softs and organic. Love the rubbery texture. Feels like another layer of different plastic.

I've got a 175 med wizard that I drive around 200' and putt on windy days. Love it and aced with it this summer. Pretty stiff. Anyone know where I can find another really stiff one? All I can find are the softs and organic. Love the rubbery texture. Feels like another layer of different plastic.
It will probably be difficult to find one with the exact same texture. Gateway tends to make lots of small runs that don't always come out the same. My advice is to just buy medium ones and not get caught up in the exact feel of the plastic. I've only had two that I've ever bought that I wasn't thrilled about, but they fly just fine. All the rest have been a bit different, but all awesome.

Latest posts