• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Ace Conflict

How would you deal out the ace pot?

• Player A:150 Player B:150

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Player A:200 Player B:100

Votes: 61 89.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL!!!!

A local tournament is held at a relatively short course, with the ace pot reaching a whopping 300 dollars. Player A aces hole six first round, then hole 15 the second round. However Player B aced hole 12 during the same tournament. How do you split this?

I've always viewed the ace pot as prize merely for getting an ace. Not how many aces, but whether or not you did in fact ace. Whether it's one or six aces in a around, it just counts as acing (for this scenario). So I would say each player gets $150. Just as if a weekly doubles league has an ace cap at $300, with a total of $600 in the pot. Someone then aces two holes in one round, they should still just get the $300 instead of doubling their winnings.

Divide by number of aces. If there were three and a player hit two he should get 2/3rds of the pot.

Just the same, if someone hits an ace and isn't paid into the pot, well that's a whole new wrinkle.

If I paid for the ace pot and hit an ace I would expect the ace pot to be equally divided between all players who hit an ace, regardless of how many aces per player was hit. The only thing that would change this expectation is if the TD announced something different at the player's meeting or it was in the rule sheet, etc.

As TD, I'd pay for each ace.

As a player, I'd be fine with however the TD decided to handle it. There are no hard-and-fast rules, and I'm not expecting a TD to take time to write out or announce rules for every side-bet hypothetical.

Unless, of course he's throwing in something really out of the ordinary. "Aces on #15 don't count," for example. Or the first tournament I ever played, where the entire ace pool was paid to the first ace.

As a TD, the one thing I do try to address in advance is what will happen to the ace pool if no one gets an ace---a throw-off or the TD keeps it or, most often, that it goes to the charity the event is raising funds for.

How would that be determined? Was it by round, or approx. time? Holes played?

You'd write down the time. Luckily for me, being my first tournament, someone in my group knew that---apparently it was a tradition there. I haven't seen it since, probably for good reason; you'd feel bad if you got an ace, thought you might have won, but didn't find out until later. (In this case, I was the first. I came out ahead, financially, at my very first tournament. Which did not start a trend).

Back in the 90s for Minnesota Summer Tour events each ace in round 1 got a double share and each ace in round 2 got a single share.

Ooh thia is a good discussion and Ive actually seen something similar happen.

Doubles tournament with a pretty juicy ace pot. One team hit back to back aces (one guy hit an ace on hole 7, the other guy on hole 8) and someone else threw an ace in the round. TD ended up splitting it into thirds, and everyone was happy.

I think the point here is that there are no default rules for handling ace pot payouts. TDs need to clarify how they will handle multiple aces. And, in the case of an ongoing series of events/leagues, will the full pot or only a percentage be paid when hit.

Each ace gets a share makes the most logical sense. It's called an "ace pot" not an "each player that hits an ace pot."

I agree with the number of aces division, except we sign up by name, so I see the ace point as a pot comprised of the contributions of individuals, so the payout is to the person not the ace. By signing up, you are contributing your name not all of your individual throws.

I think that once an ace is hit, the pot is paid in full (even if no actual cash changes hands at that moment because the money is in someone's car or whatever) and then the pot is reset. Why else would there be a cap?

divide the ace pot by each ace. 200/100
^ this.

Unless otherwise specified up front by whomever is running the ace pool : Every Ace, regardless what hole, regardless who threw it, earns an equal share of the pot.

Last edited:

Latest posts