• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tournament plastic changes?

PMantle

* Ace Member *
I know the manufacturers are at the mercy of the supply, but has anyone else noticed a big difference in this? Seems like the older Underworlds and Tursas were pearly and some of the most beautiful discs I've seen. It's been years since I have needed to buy these and my new ones are just as plain and solid as colors can be. Wish I had picks of those older discs, but I lost them. Best example I can find on line is:

JJIga76.jpeg

And from the Underworld thread:
8519000313_d9f4acbe68_o.jpg

I've only been playing five or six years but I've never seen fancy looking tournament plastic like that. About how old are those discs?

TP plastic from this era was nuts. I had a TP King in this plastic colloquially called "lava" tournament. It was a crimson red/orange that had pearl/ripples like that Underworld and a gold stamp. I was young and naive, didn't like the flight, and sold it. But I really regret it.

Ya, that pearly stuff was beautiful. I have a few discs left from that era and still sometimes bag a very OS purple Giant.

Before the plastic in your photos they had an even more nuts looking plastic people were calling "Lava."

I still have a couple Northmans, Pains, a Halo and a Tursas in Lava I think. I'll try to post some pics later.

I would definitely consider sticking more Trilogy in my bag again if they brought back old school pretty TP/Gold, Fluid/Frost/Elasto, and started running Harps, Pures, Truths and Verdicts in K1 soft.

I had a pearly Halo like this.

I suspect that the method they used to make these produced a lot of scrap but that's just a guess.

They used to look awesome, now they are almost all either burst or totally solid.

I wonder if they even did that on purpose or if it just worked out to be that nice.

It's so banged up I don't know if you can see it well but my copper Harp has some pretty black lava swirls in it.

Attachments

• 9D5BFCF6-EE2D-4E4B-9ED1-798908D4D08B.jpg
    9D5BFCF6-EE2D-4E4B-9ED1-798908D4D08B.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 29
This makes me want to throw my old Hatchet.

Attachments

• 2D58710D-662C-41DF-B87A-D587C0DC2DDD.jpg
    2D58710D-662C-41DF-B87A-D587C0DC2DDD.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 23
Lava on the left, pearly on the right

Attachments

• 20221118_134753.jpg
    20221118_134753.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 28
Funny. I was just reading this thread yesterday and stumbled upon an Escape in a used bin today that is that metallic looking plastic. It's from 2014 based off the tournament stamp and looked brand new so it followed me home.